SAU Community

Skylines (GTST) vs silvias, 180sx, 200sx

mac30

Originally posted by DON91E

Tough lil rev happy engine, reacts greatly to mods, awesome handeling, awesome potential,  

Donnie [/b]

gotta agree with u on that one man..but at the end of the day i prefer to slip behind my Momo steerign wheel and crank up my RB25DET. its in a different league and was built for a different purpose to appeal to a different set of ppl.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear suspension parts are basically the same between all 32's, 33's, s13 etc and once you start modifying things (shocks springs etc) the handling characteristics change. The skylines have better front sus set up with double wishbone setup which is supposed to be better than the setup in the silvias.

The brakes on the lines are a step above the s13's and these are all things the need to be considered.

When they were made the s13 were a cheap preformance car made for as little as possibe (look at the interior) while the skyline was a more expensive luxury performance car. Both have similar performance possibilities but the s13 would need more spent on it to match a skyline in all areas.

Guest SPOOLIN

OK easy answer *** People DON'T stop to watch a 180sx or Silvia drive past *** and as for being beaten by a 180sx or Silvia, WHO CARES your still the one driving a Skyline. Thats a win which ever way you look at it.:uh-huh: :shake:

Lee

Don't underestimate the SR20DET. Obviously this engine is not suited to lugging a heavy ass car around inark, hence it was not produced in a GTR or similar flagship model. It is like having a 6 cylinder flagship model for Holden, dosent make sense. However you could bring in the GTiR.. which in many cases can give a GTR a run for their money :D

A S13 or similar has not got as much to offer as the Skyline, but in my opinion is a better performance orientated machine.

Originally posted by DON91E

SLY 33 : $$?? no i don't think so man,  $$ does not make a car go faster, If you know how to drive, then that can make a  car go faster.

In my 200sx i have been a R32 gtst with the same mods, i wasn't boosted, it was just exhaust and filter, i chopped him by yonks,  

Money ain't a thing,  

Or and btw SLY 33, dunno wat you drive but if its anything but a gtst that only rev til 7......don't rev too hard, or your engine mite end up like the silvias :0

Donnie

Dude, Im speaking on the basis that the cars are being driven properly. But i know what your saying. There are a few tools out there that dont have a clue how to get going quik, and even change gears quick -and cant even drive with the pedal pushed ALL the way to the floor :D

BUT $ does not make a car go faster, and Money aint a thing??!?! cmon man, that statement is a joke! Obviously you need to know how to drive. And money certainly IS a "thing" when it comes to going quicker.

And when you went that 32, are you sure he was tryin? :D nah only joking, i know that with only those basic mods, the 200's are faster. Like that s13 that did me before he blew up. (not having a go btw!)

I'm putting this question out here cause I really don't know the answer.

Say if both motors were give the same sort of mods to make.....say 250~270kw at the fly wheel. Which one would be more reilable?

The larger capacity RB25DET or the smaller SR20DET ???

I know it's a very general question, but any ideas??

A mate has a GT4 and it is/was very very fast. Fast to the point of not bothering about draging cars cause it was a waste of time. He used to drag off bikes etc !!!!

But on the same hand, this same person has blown 2 motors already.

So I'm thinking that most motors can be pushed to amazing output powers, but not many can be reliable at those powers.

Now before anyone flames me, I know the SR20DET is a better motor than the 3SGTE. But I'm just using it as an example.

J

I'll be the first not to go on about SR vs. RB.

Skyline gets votes for handling. Double wishbone vs Strut, take your pick. I'd go wishbone.

Chassis. Not keen on R33 as it's not hardcore (personal preference), but the 180 doesn't feel that firm. Lines are have a more communicative chassis.

Brakes, 4 pot and 2 pot for lines, 2 and single for 180. I love my brakes, and bigger/more is always better.

I personally like skylines over 180's and silvia's.

Obviously, considering I own one. But I will say that the sr20 is a Fu.ckin Good engine. A few mods and the things run awsome.

But Skylines look better, sound better, the interior is nicer and chicks love 'em.

The 180sx shape has been in production from 89-99. That’s ten years without a major facelift. It’s testament to the 180’s classic good looks and performance pedigree. Not many other Japanese cars have such a long production run (300zx & Supra).

Compared to Skylines the 32, 33 and most probably the 34, will only be in production for less than half the time. Why does Nissan have to keep changing the Skyline line up? The 180sx was and still is a great package that has not needed to be changed.

If your comparing the rb25 to the sr20 the fact that you see so many heavily worked sr20s in Japan reaffirms that it’s a better engine. However, if exhaust note is what your after then yeah rb’s rock. Japanese tuners don’t touch the rb25 cause it’s an inferior engine, and also because they can use the rb26. There is no doubt that a GTR engine is better than the sr20 for power but not everyone can be rich enough to own one!

Skylines and 180s both great cars but id take a stock 180 over a stock skyline !

They didnt give it a face lift because they didnt want to waste money and time on it when they could be designing better skylines.

Nah, just joking. I like 180's, but im guessing there focus on the sr20 was the s14's and now s15's.

Originally posted by jtir

S13/S14/S15 SR20DET stock

R32(RB20DET)/R33/R34 RB25DET stock

which car is quicker in a straight line? which car is quicker around a certain track?

jtir: off the top of my head (can't find my HPI so can't quote the times from them) the quickest of those in stock form was the r34gtt

then... r33

s13

r32

s14

s15

all taken for manual

however if the s15 is the jap spec, then he'll be at the top of the list...by a long shot I think...

anyway I could be wrong, but that's what I can remember and noone else is trying to answer the qeustion, so if anyone has the perf data for these cars chuck them up and that'll sort out the debate :)

Given my time again id fo the SR.

Simple maths really. 4 cyl SR vs 6cyl RB. Come rebuild time 4 pistons/rods/rings vs 6 = cheaper.

That said i luv me ol R32, one day she will get the rebuild she deserves.

And my mates 200sx (S14) is quicker than my R32 GTST, with less mods. I think if my computer was mapped for fuel & mods though it would make a huge difference.

I know your all gonna say BUT one is 01 model and one started production in 93.

But the new SR20DET produces 187 kw i belive,

while our RB's producing 184kw ??

Am i rite?

Donnie

Originally posted by Maddness

Comparing just rb25's and sr20's

I'll bet that you cant find more examples of heavily worked rb25's

Thats not what you said. Originally, you implied that Japanese tuners don't bother working RB25's because its an inferior engine, which is bollocks. From what I can tell, Jap tuners will work just about anything that goes round and round.

If you want to base engine quality soley on the number of worked examples of that engine, that would make the 350 chev a much better engine than either the RB25 or the SR20. Is it?

DON91E, the 98+ RB25 made 206kW, compare late model SR20s with that if you really must. But really, its pointless comparing stock outputs of differently sized engines.

you are ~~~ goiong to be shock but I seriously considerd putting an sr into my r32.

but the rb20 is a good motor my r32 with an r33 turbo has run14 flat I could with development run 13.5 with out changing to much

Ie same turbo injectors etc.

the skylines need some suspension work for thier take ooffs to improve mine has this and nwo lauches liek a rocket.

s13's 180 dont have the build quality of the the r32's and have a larger interior I know cause I had to make the choice when buying my car.

they are apples and oranges

but why not think about a cefiro

meggala