SAU Community

WTF...R32 GTR Speed limited..!..?

Had a bit of a play last night with an 04 STI WRX.

Top of 4th I hit what I thought to be the rev limiter, no worries, change to 5th....still on some sort of limiter...which I am presuming is a speed limiter..?

That sucks...how do I get rid of it...?

it's a 180km/h limitor, you can change/chip the ecu, cut the speed sensor wire (not recomended), or get a HKS speed limit defector. Mine has the speed sensor wire cut (like that when i got it :) ), and it roots up the HICAS.

All JDM cars of that era have 180km/h speed limits, even the R33 and R34 have them. Two options;

Do the dodgy and cut the speed limit sensor wire thing (#53 from memory, I could be wrong though...)

Get an aftermarket/chipped ECU.

Had a bit of a play last night with an 04 STI WRX.

Top of 4th I hit what I thought to be the rev limiter, no worries, change to 5th....still on some sort of limiter...which I am presuming is a speed limiter..?

That sucks...how do I get rid of it...?

Speed limiter.

Get an Apexi power FC or some other aftermarket puter.

Bring it in for a dyno tune/remap and we can remove the limiter, raise the revlimit etc and tune the car for $800.

No point buying an aftermarket limit device when it can be taken out.

Hmmm...have to do something!

With only a Boost increase you'd be close to hitting the limiter before the end of 400m :)

very close, depends on the launch.

Speed limiter is usually about 200kmh which is about 120mph.

near stock GTR's won't normally get there.

Cheers

Ken

very close, depends on the launch.

Speed limiter is usually about 200kmh which is about 120mph.

near stock GTR's won't normally get there.

Cheers

Ken

All jap cars are limited at around 180 kmh ( usualy 185 or so ) .

Bog stock gtrs will hit the speed cutout very easy and depending on model ( if you dont have the limiter ) will go on up to 250 kmh ( r34 gtr ) .

I took my stock 34 to the drag strip ( only mod , catback exhaust ) and i hit the cutout in 4th just after the 400 mt finish line .

You can remove the speed limiter by reprogramming the stock ECU if you have a EPROM writer and know which field to change.

Easiest way if you are not confident with such things (I personally would not want to suff my GTR if I had one) is to take it somewhere who does Performance tuning and ask if they car re-write your stock ECU. Should cost next to nothing.

Cheers

Adrian

The limiter is definatly alot closer to 200 than 180. I have hit it more than once and I can tell you its pretty close to 200, can't be sure cause the speedo only reads to 180, but its WAY past that.

I like it though, enforce me to "keep it real"

The limiter is definatly alot closer to 200 than 180. I have hit it more than once and I can tell you its pretty close to 200, can't be sure cause the speedo only reads to 180, but its WAY past that.

I like it though, enforce me to "keep it real"

They are under 190 k and you can tell by your tacho what speed you are doing .

Well the power stearing gets stuck in 'high speed mode' (heavy round town), The HICAS light comes on after 5 mins (and stayes on), I don't think the HICAS tryies to turn the rear wheels, but it dosn't stop them from moving eather, on big 80km/h round abouts you can feel it move at max g's. I'm trying to find where it's been cut.

192 in an r33 gtst on 265/35/18s according to the GPS. apparently the 32 gtr one is a bit sooner

They are all under 190 k Duncan . 265x35x18's are about 3 % bigger than stock so you are going 3% faster .

the speedo is way out at that sort of speed, when i hit the cutout if there was still markings on the speedo it would have shown about 200 so around 15km/h too much. (in r33 gtst)

They are all under 190 k Duncan . 265x35x18's are about 3 % bigger than stock so you are going 3% faster .

On GPS mate. It don't care how big the tyres are, but they are accurate. Admissable in NZ courts now.

On GPS mate. It don't care how big the tyres are, but they are accurate. Admissable in NZ courts now.

Yes thats what i was about .

The speed was 192 but if it had the correct size tyres it would have been 3% less ,

186 kmh .