SAU Community

Questions for '89-'90 Model GTR Owners

Hi guys,

I'm looking at trading up, and was wondering how much extra you guys have had to spend on top of the purchase price to get your 15+ y/o GTR to a decent standard.

I am looking for an idea of:

*How long have you had your GTR for

*what has gone wrong since you've owned it

*What surprises have you had (good and bad) since purchase?

*what's the condition of the engine (at your best guess)?

What's the most I should spend on an older GTR, or am i best off spending a bit more and getting a later model R (ie 92-3).

Thanks in advance

Michael

I can only speak for myself here and I'm sure others will have different opinions but heres my costs so far as a guide for you:

Things you'll need to do

$1100 Prestige

$14500 Purchase car and shipping

$50 Import approval

$3840 Custom broker (Covers everything)

$1200 Compliance work

$660 Six months License and Ownership Transfer

$115 Goverment approved immobilizer

$54 Pit inspection

$29 Temp driving Permits (or tow trucks)

Total: $21548

Things I have done of my Own Accord so far:

Private Plates: $295

Momo Wheel: $313

Momo G/Knob: $120

Oils Coolants etc: $100

Kenwood MP3 Player: $260

JBL Speakers F&R: $219

Trust Front and Dump Pipes: $1100

Nismo Fuel pressure reg: $120

Tint Windows: $220

Total: $2747

Things coming soon:

Power FC, New Turbos, Sard 700cc Injectors tune.

Total: $5000 (?)

My car was in pretty good nic from Japan, inside outside and to drive.

Hicas light is the only real problem with it atm.

I think thats everything :confused:

i bought my r32 gtr 1989 model for 22500k with 78700kms cat back zorst,17x9 buddie club wheels all new tyres,interior in mint condition,a few little marks on body and other than a few other things is stock,still got boost restricter in?so u can get a good buy just have to take time looking...took me months and months

I've had my GTR for about 2 months now

Only thing that has gone wrong so far was air in the brake pedal...topping up the brake fluid did the trick. I also have a problem with the HICAS light. Any help PSI_GTSII??

In regards to surprises... I've found more than I asked for:

- Blitz Access ECU

- 3" exhaust with 3.5 inch cat back

- larger intercooler

- tein suspension

- theres a possibility of bigger turbos (why would u have a bigger intercooler and complete exhaust system without bigger turbos? theres some food for thought)

Other goodies included:

- Greddy boost controller

- HKS airpods

- Greddy boost gauge

Overall, the car drives really smooth...i had a leak down test down with less than 10% leakage...so u can pretty much say its running like new, though i find the engine is running a little rich.

Heres what I have spent so far:

Car - $21000 with compliance

Rego - $1080

Insurance - $688

255/45/17 Marshal Tyres - $610

AC bottle - $85

Wiper motor - $100

RWC - $85

Razo shift knob - $60

Sony head unit - $199

Wiring kit for head unit - $50

GTR steering wheel - $100 (i figured i like my racing steering wheel more so if anyone wants it PM me)

Front and rear strut braces - $100

Major service - $700

Alarm - $330 fitted and turbo timer

Overall this you can tell this car was well kept in japan...timing belt was replaced fluids were healthy

My advice is to find a GTR which is almost in perfect condition because I know of people who were prepared to compromise and already there coming across problem after problem. There are many lemons out there. Take your time in searching to make sure yours isn't one of them (I took almost a year but it was worth it). Good luck in your GTR searching.

Guest Mashrock

i've had my gtr for about 6 months now,

etc etc etc.

I need to replace front cv boots, and still do.

came with a bit of a shaged gearbox so i changed it.

petrol kills you.

new wheels + tyres as slicks didnt last too long on the road

wheel allignment

i've changed some oils.

but as i am now unlicenced. i dont drive him and i am saving money.

will get cv's done soon, and a major service on everything. should end up around 800 bucks.

might sell sell sell 40k

anyone interested??

Rebuilt engine, (in japan)

N1 turbos, and lead to beleive pistons and rods and crank also.

cams, unknown type.

hks fcon proV

argosta(sp?) coil overs, fully adjustable

Brembo f50 front brake kit!!

Hks intercooler cooler piping

arc intercooler

arc wing

hks pods

nardi wheel

greddy profec boost controler

shift light (pivot)

etc, electronic torque splitter

hks kansai cage

full chassis spot weld, for the stiff oner!

recaro seat.

nice pretty unseen dark blue in colour.

i could probably go on for a while.

but thats all off the top of my head

will sell with broken trust (hollinger) 6 speed dog box for an extra 4k (2k max on getting it repared)

I have own my 1989 GTR for four months and have drove it once .

car cost 20k with rego

came with recaro seats

cat back

chiped computer

turbo timer(dosent work)

nismo body kit

coilovers

slotted discs

things that where bad

cv bots

ball joints inner and outer

engine

cluch was fryed so bad need a new fly wheel

to date car is still not running(very soon) and have over 17k spent to get it back to tip top shape.

Look u get what u payed for dont go cheap as it may cost u in the long run.

and as a note my car had all oils changed before i picked it up and had a leak down test which came back good, the body is very straight and paint good.

happy hunting Brad

I bought a 4 door GTS4 with an RB26 so I don't know if I qualify as a GTR owner :).

Anyway I spent 12000 getting it here + 1000 for compliance (this is of course with the now defunct 15 year rule)

3000 fixing ball joints, brake master cylinder, new clutch and a few minor things (like lights and what not)

There is some body work that needs to be done (some chips of paint which might just indicate something worse.. fingers crossed). It definately had a knock on the front which wasn't mentioned when i bought the car (and might have been added after for all I know :)).

Finally there was rego, insurance, alarm, dyno (yay ben) + another 3000 odd.

It does add up but you can get really lucky too :). I got a Carbon bonnet and a GTS4 (was advertised as GTS-t heh), engine is 100% perfect (leakdown and compression), nismo LSD is fine, suspension is all good, got a really nice blitz boost controller. Petrol is a biaatch.

- theres a possibility of bigger turbos (why would u have a bigger intercooler and complete exhaust system without bigger turbos?  theres some food for thought)

please tell me you are kidding?

michael

1989 GTR

Had it 6 months.

Needed new "upper control arms" whatever that is.

Had the timing belt replaced

Nothing really gone wrong.

Has this "tap tap" sound when cold and when not under throttle. Mechanic says it's probably shims and not to worry about it.

Pulls hard, drives smooth.

Some new tyres would be nice, but they're so exxy!

Petrol is not too bad. 400km to a tank.

(why would u have a bigger intercooler and complete exhaust system without bigger turbos?  theres some food for thought)
Because they are generally the first things you do on a turbo car which give significat improvement over the factory standard parts.

Mine was probably the cheapest, with the actual price being $9,600. So with all import costs and stuff itemised up top came to around $17,000 for everything with 12mnths rego.

Although, being the cheapest of the bunch, its needed a little help.

$500 for new exhaust piping from turbos to cat.

$650 for new bushes and stuff up front end suspension area.

$2000 for new turbos and cooling to be fixed, as was blocked.

so for $21,000 its pretty good.

Rims and some touch up on the paint, then maybe a few more mechanical issues if they occur of the next few months, should see a tidy car with high kms for around $25K.

This thread's great...gives you a more realistic picture of how much a 15 y/o import REALLY costs :P

Keep it coming guys.

Michael

I am looking for an idea of:

1) 6+ months.

2) Lets see...

i. HICAS went a little nuts: replaced oil and fixed leaking pipes off the bottom of the resevoir. Seems to be fixed now.

ii. The windings for the aircon electric clutch are probably worn out.

iii. There is an exhaust-side leak somewhere: I think the rear turbo manifold where it joins the head.

iv. Broken centre air vents (but that's hardly unusual).

v. Part of the dash was lifting (again, very common). Replaced the dash.

3) No suprises really: I paid above market price and got a Grade 4 car in basically stock condition, so I didn't expect any.

4) Excellent: everything indicates that car has been extremely well maintained.

Lucien.

What's the most I should spend on an older GTR, or am i best off spending a bit more and getting a later model R (ie 92-3).

Since beginning of 2004

Nothing of note.

Is a much easier car to own/drive than I had been led to believe. Oh yeah & it came with the world's gheyest pair of rear speakers.

Engine is in very good condition.

You should expect to pay about $25k for a good one. Perhaps more depending on what extras it has. Perhaps less is it is a ordinary example or is uregistered. Later models 92/93 are not so common & the seller will expect a premium. If it has been imported under the old rules inspect it for damage to the chassis and/or a general bodge fest.

The best advice I can offer is:

Buy a good one, not a cheap one.