First set of turbo's

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
I believe that a compromise exists with low spool or boost threshold in one hand and high exhaust gas flow (for its size) in the other . I don't believe its possible to have a low boost threshold and high end performance AND headroom for future mods . If you tie yourself into small turbos you will limit the engines power potential by restricting exhaust flow out and airflow in - no free ride here . If it were me whatever turbo I chose would have the higher flowing turbine as the first consideration.

Obviously there is never going to be a one-size-fits-all turbo :P

My point is basically this: the 707160-5 seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment, but I am concerned its a little on the large size for stock-ish setups where response and average power are the main considerations. Some people have reported that even with cam work that boost is not kicking in a big way till 5000-ish RPM. Obviously a lot depends on exactly what is done and the state of tune, but if we just generalise for a moment.... What would be a good choice to replace the stock setup that provide near OEM spool (bearing in mind that the R32 GT-R turbos are not exactly modern even if they are small) but more headroom? The GT-SSs seem like a good compromise but they are very expensive IMHO. The 707160-5 obviously have the headroom but as I said, I'm concerned they will be too laggy: as for the GT28RS hybrid, surely that will be even bigger/worse in that respect?

Lucien.

for me it will always be a choice between HKS GT-SS or HKS GT2530. I am sure the generic ones are good but i personally know of so many happy HKS turbo customers that for me it's worth the few extra samolians to get a proven product.

Obviously there is never going to be a one-size-fits-all turbo :P

My point is basically this:  the 707160-5 seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment, but I am concerned its a little on the large size for stock-ish setups where response and average power are the main considerations.  Some people have reported that even with cam work that boost is not kicking in a big way till 5000-ish RPM.  Obviously a lot depends on exactly what is done and the state of tune, but if we just generalise for a moment....  What would be a good choice to replace the stock setup that provide near OEM spool (bearing in mind that the R32 GT-R turbos are not exactly modern even if they are small) but more headroom?  The GT-SSs seem like a good compromise but they are very expensive IMHO.  The 707160-5 obviously have the headroom but as I said, I'm concerned they will be too laggy:  as for the GT28RS hybrid, surely that will be even bigger/worse in that respect?

Lucien.

ok just to give people an indication when i first installed the gt 2560r(i going to continue calling them that as it is what is stamped on the cartiridge) 707160-5 is was a STD gtr with air box the works (nothing changed bar exhaust) and it was tuned to 316awhp (at all 4 wheels) the company which did the job fitted a SAFC2 to add fuel to low rpm range (nothing about 4500rpm)

The GTR at 316awhp managed a 12.08 at 113mph 1.7 60 footer first run, so i think that shops that the gt2560r can still be a nice turbo combo for a std gtr

Beer Baron is nice to have favorite brands but i have yet to see the small hks turbos out perform the garret units in any meanfull way(reliability or performance)

so you should give them a look before dismissing them.

The GTR at 316awhp managed a 12.08 at 113mph 1.7 60 footer first run, so i think that shops that the gt2560r can still be a nice turbo combo for a std gtr

I don't suppose you have a dyno printout for your setup when it was fairly stock bar the turbos? Drag times aren't really a good indication of average power.

Cheers,

Lucien.

I don't suppose you have a dyno printout for your setup when it was fairly stock bar the turbos?  Drag times aren't really a good indication of average power.

Cheers,

Lucien.

yes i do somewhere at home but unfortunately i'm on an oil rig in the mid of nowhere for the next two weeks, might be able to dig it up when i get back.

williamsf1

the nm of torque you quote how exactly do you get this figure as nearly all the dyno i have seen work in tractable effort ,or was this done on a engine dyno, i reason i ask is all new car etc are quoted in nm ,not the tractable effort you get off the normal dyno. Typically a few of the gtr i have worked on run around 1850 pounds of tractable effort

pete

pnblight this was with a dynolog dyno, and they have newer (i.e. not old DOS 3.1 software) as long as it is 1:1 ratio the NM or torque is shown to be very acurate..... I have it on good authority that this was prooven with a stock factory porsche and was within 2NM of the predicted factory numbers....

yes but the tuning still needs some work, basically it is making too much torque early on, and not enough top end.... and as most know the dynolog is a very low reading dyno!

we will be looking to take out a dip from 5500-6500 and reverse it to make a broader spead of power.....

standby for further results!

overall it is a torque monster! and pulls like a 12yr old at MJ's :P

yes but the tuning still needs some work, basically it is making too much torque early on, and not enough top end.... and as most know the dynolog is a very low reading dyno!

we will be looking to take out a dip from 5500-6500 and reverse it to make a broader spead of power.....

standby for further results!

overall it is a torque monster! and pulls like a 12yr old at MJ's :P

would love to see a dyno sheet as that is very healthy torque and most be fun to drive .I did some number crunching and i normally get around the 570 to580nm of torque but it is gain about 5000rpm and held through to about 7300rpm where it just starts to fade slightly does yours hold the torque through the rev range

pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just thought I'd dig this thread up again to see how the GT-SS vs 2860r debate is going..

One thing that DiscoPotato mentioned was that on the Garrett site there are in fact TWO GT2860's.. one is the 707160-5 that we are all talking about as being more or less the same as a HKS2530 or N1..

The other is a 707160-7. Which no one seems to mention much.

Take a close look at the spec on this and its more or less the same as GT-SS specs. But naturally it isn't going to be the same money as the HKS item.

Has anyone delved into this a bit more?

Have we got any opinions about if GT-SS truly do spool quicker and provide more average power on a stock to slightly modified RB26?

If so - perhaps the 707160-7 flavour of the 2860r is worth looking at?

Hey, WilliamsF1 did you have any luck getting more power up top with the GT-SS?

Obviously there is never going to be a one-size-fits-all turbo ;)

My point is basically this:  the 707160-5 seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment, but I am concerned its a little on the large size for stock-ish setups where response and average power are the main considerations.  Some people have reported that even with cam work that boost is not kicking in a big way till 5000-ish RPM.  Obviously a lot depends on exactly what is done and the state of tune, but if we just generalise for a moment....  What would be a good choice to replace the stock setup that provide near OEM spool (bearing in mind that the R32 GT-R turbos are not exactly modern even if they are small) but more headroom?  The GT-SSs seem like a good compromise but they are very expensive IMHO.  The 707160-5 obviously have the headroom but as I said, I'm concerned they will be too laggy:  as for the GT28RS hybrid, surely that will be even bigger/worse in that respect?

Lucien.

Hi Pete,

Are you back by any chance?

Bumpity bump.

Still trying to decide on a which way to jump (if at all). smile.gif

Edit: Interesting. The multiple quote thing doesn't work with quick reply.

would love to see a dyno sheet as that is very healthy torque and most be fun to drive .I did some number crunching and i normally get around the 570 to580nm of torque but it is gain about 5000rpm and held through to about 7300rpm where it just starts to fade slightly does yours hold the torque through the rev range

pete

ok here is a power run on a dynolog dyno.... 19psi

post-16093-1126272745.jpg

does anyone know whether the 2560 that pnblight is talking about is the same as the gt2860r 707160-5?

2560's

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/category12_1.htm

2860's

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...0R_707160_5.htm

(sorry if someone has answered this.....but i couldn't find it)

if so, does anyone know the price from gcg? or are racepace still selling them?

does anyone know whether the 2560 that pnblight is talking about is the same as the gt2860r 707160-5?

I am no turbo expert, so I would wait for pnblight and discopotato to comment, but a cursory look suggests that the Garret GT2560R 466541- 3 and 466541- 4 do not have the right turbine housing (i.e. the dump flange bolt pattern is incorrect for a GT-R).