SAU Community

Aftermarket Wheels for R32 GTS-T

Im looking at a nice set of rims.... suspension is stock atm and car isnt that modded....

I was thinking about 17s due to cheaper tyres etc... but may aswell go 18s because the pricing is so similar...

what you think?

17s or 18s?

what is the max width i could go front and back with rolled guards??

Ill drop it as soon as rims are on :D

Thanks all

Ed

From what i understand Lenso are a reasonable quality rim...and from lifting and feeling the weight of a few 18" rims recently when i was out shopping, well the Lensos were one of the lighter cast rims.

So off come the forged Jap 17" rims and it scared me how much lighter the 17s are, like half the weight. So now on the road im not sure if its just me being paranoid, but the car doenst accelerate near as quick, which could be a combination of weight/inertia but also the increase in rolling diameter and hence gearing.

So if your not wanting bling that will actually make you slower, then stick with 17s, as even a cheaper 17" wheel will weigh less. If you can afford a nice forged BBS or other Jap 18" rim then go for it..

...but my feelings are not all 18" wheels are suitable for a performance orientated car

I don't think the R32 really even needs too much more than about 17" rims to look good, as long as you have lowered it a bit (2-3cm), it fills the guards out nicely.

leave the 18's, 19's and more expensive tyre costs to the R33/R34 boys...

my set up now is 17x8 +28 at front and 17x9 +35 at the rear. and works well with the standard guards.

Pretty sure this is the same as my car, or it might be 17x8 +25 and 17x9 +38?

Its been a while since ive looked.

But they do look great and fit perfectly, the rears look tough as without being stupid. And 9" wide is the widest you can put on by law in Vic anyway.

I'm running r33 gtr rims on my r32 gts-t (see av).

Fills the guards nicely, with just enough clearance on the front struts :D

No idea what the offset is but they are 17 x 255.

my set up now is 17x8 +28 at front and 17x9 +35 at the rear. and works well with the standard guards.

got any pics of these?

i borrowed a mates 17x9's at the rear and they wheel stuck out way too far.

i guess this was an offset problem.

Would like to have a look at yours :D

Cheers

yeah sticking out the guards is due to offset.

18's go alright, but for general handling 17's with a decent width are plenty. 17x8 for front and 17x9 for rear are a very nice combination, and fairly common on skylines. (in appropriate offset). and is what I run usually (however due to drift, usually 17x8's on front and *whatever* on rear)

e.g.

IM000091.jpg

IM000069.jpg

(hehe love posting these pics of my car, 18x9's on front and 18x10 -1 offset on rear (they work once you attack the guards with a guardroller)

ok memph here are the pics of my car...

sorry i only have the auction pics in japan but you will get the idea...

this offset and size is pretty much the most you want to go without any guard modification as when i look from the top of the rear guards it is pretty much in line with the rims (as my tire is stretched on it the rim is the widest part). though the front can be a little bit wider with less offset (+25?)... have a look and decide for yourself....

http://www.imports101.com.au/rides.php?id=67

if you want a better picture i can send them by e mail hey.

hope this helped

masahiro

defiantely seems to sit pretty good...

nice. that re-assures me.

i was a little scared. cos i wanna get some 9's for the back of my car. but when i had my mates on. they stuck out much further than i would have been happy with. so i was thinking maybe i will have to goto 8's. hehe

But that seems good.. i guess his would have been around +38 to +40 on the back..

Cool cool :cheers:

Thanks for that mate.

edit: Just looking at those pics. your car actually looks really nice. *though i would take off that little clear strip thing that goes above your window :) v.nice lookin 4 door though. as im not usually a fan..

cheers memph...

its funny you mention the strip cos thats one of the reasons i got my car! hahaha

i always want to open my windows in the rain... its a nice sleeper...

anyhow my set up is by far the safest way and very legal so i recommend to anyone...

and i think its not really the width that matters more the offset cos you can have 7.5 width but still manage to stick it out if the offset is in the negatives...

also i think your mates offset must be less than +35 if it stuck out more... the less the number the more it sticks out... look at merlins rims, the offset is negative or close to it....

go with this set up and if you get bored then rolled the guards...

Also, what size tire do you run on those?

Cos i had 235's on the front of mine for a while and the wheel would scrub on the inside at full lock..

i now have 225's and its ok...

but i only have 7inch wide all round... :rolleyes:

hehe. anyway. thanks for the info :unsure:

i got 215/45/17 all around on both 8' and 9' but as i said before the rear tyres are stretched out and i keep hitting the rims on curbs... cos the rim protector is stretched so if you dont want this to happen go for 225 or 235 at the rear and 215 should be fine on the fronts...

masahiro

Don't mean to Hijack the thread but on the topic on aftermarket rims... Does anyone know if R34 GTR rims fit well into GTS-T guards. I am unsure of there offset

it will fit but it will hang out cos the stock wheel specs are as below...

ECR34: 7.5jjx17+40 all around

BNR34: 9jjx18+30 all around

just need a little body work and should fit fine....

Hi there,

I have a gtst but its an R33 so I dont know if this applies to you

Today I upgraded my stock rims to 18s. They were marked as 18"x8.5 , and I was worried I'd have problems fitting it.

As it turns out, I needed 5mm spacers for the front wheels for the spokes to clear the brakes. And yeah i know its frowned upon but I'm going to risk it.

Othewise, it fits great, I got 235s at the front and 245s at the rear which was recommended by the tyre shop. No scrubbing at full lock and I didnt notice the car being any slower afterwards so I'm happy. Looks outstanding too which is a bonus so i took a photo :)

Edit, I put a before shot as well which I took last week before the rims.

post-20821-1123311657.jpg

post-20821-1123312069.jpg