SAU Community

Drag Times For Auto R33's

Fastrotor

Hi Guys, after alot of searching i can't seem to find much info on drag times for the auto guys.

Can we have a post from those who have ran there cars ..... i've done abit of work on my car now and its certainly slower than the manual boys.... so i need some auto guys to compare with , as i just feel somethings not right.

Heres my cars specs

S1 R33 sedan Auto

Std turbo

LINK plug in (i tuned it on DYNOLOG so power reads lower dont forget)

145 rwkws (stock auto gets about 110 on these.)

boost 11.5 psi, turning it down to 9 psi to keep wastegate open (more just rolls power off earlier ...... ahh the joys of free dyno sessions)

No AFM

pod (no CAI) factory airbox and modified GTR snorkel coming

MV auto shift kit

Iridiums .8mm gap (borrowed 32 GTR coils as mine died) Splitfires on there way

New rear 255 tyres , gripping well

R34 GTT cooler

3" dump , 4" magic cat, Tanabe jasma catback

Now best i ran last week was a 14.53 @ 95.3

Last night i ran a 14.32 @ 98.6 (iridums, shiftkit, gtr coils)

I think time was more so from me manually shifting .......auto shifts at 6100 every time, but this makes revs drop to 4200 and it bogs a tad.. so reving higher while falling off the power a little makes shifts higher and not bog.

So, im perplexed, what do you guys get

Also in my readings last night i saw one guy post that the fast software shows 4 different part numbers for the auto turbo ?.... maybe i have a small one !( turbo haha)

Gary

Cmon someone must have some drag results and what they have done...

SydneyKid, have you any input on the FAST software mentioning 4 different part nums for the auto 33's ? I guess if so its possible there isnt just S1 & S2 33 turbos .....

I've got a few other pecularities i've noticed i'll share if someone posts up.

there are a couple of R33 autos up here that i know have got 13.5-14.0s... with the usual stage1 mods..

You'd probably want around 12psi on R33 turbo to get the power up, and your times down as well. Above that you probably won't see much power difference, but 9psi I would say is probably a little low for R33 to be optimal.

What is your 60' time?

there are a couple of R33 autos up here that i know have got 13.5-14.0s... with the usual stage1 mods..

You'd probably want around 12psi on R33 turbo to get the power up, and your times down as well. Above that you probably won't see much power difference, but 9psi I would say is probably a little low for R33 to be optimal.

What is your 60' time?

Yeah but as i mentioned power didnt drop off as much when i rolled the boost back... i tried alot of things but there just wasnt any more in it...

60' 's best was 2.4

One thing i really notice is that you floor it, boost builds to 11 psi buy mid 2000's but there is nothing until just on 3000 , then whoosh , its off....

I tried moving the cam on point in the link, to above and below 3000, below does nothing, at 4000 it give a kick at 3000, and then another at 4000..... but still the initial delay..... anyone else notice that...

and yes i've checked timing in that area, even adding alot of timing while its 2500-3000 and the boost is up does stuff all.....

Normal mods - 3 inch exhaust (turbo back), intercooler, pod filter in a custom cold air box, GCG hi-flow turbo, power FC, fuel pump and the MV Automatics shift kit.

Ah, ok the GCG highflow would help.

I've got a Vg30 turbo on the way , and i already have a t04 vtrim and mazda comp housing to suit from the rx-7's previous incarnation highflow.

So hopefully with that together i might be able to scrape 12's .

What 60's were you getting ? Mine were 2.4

Gary

My 60's were 2.08 or something like that with stock turbo but 2.2 with highflow.  Went from 13.8 to 13.5.  This is an auto R34.

Thanks Abo Bob,

Thats a bloddy good 60'. Were you stalling off the line or just stabbing it . ? whats a 34 stall to factory, and is yours factory ?

Are you saying you only went from 13.8 to 13.5 with the adition of the highflow ? wouldn't you be expecting more .... obviously you lost .2 off the line.... still.

How did the mph difer ?

Trying to stall mine us was the worst launch of all..... was best to just stab it full, ease off (turbo seems to spool quicker when throttle 1/4 open or there abouts), then full again.

• 3 months later...

Just an update to what turned out to be a problem.

The drama of the car hitting boost but not going hard until 3000 rpm was actually a fault.

The fuel pump switching was causing it, fuel pressure barely stayed at 40 psi when boost got to 10 psi... then at 3000 rpm, it jumped up to 50 odd and away you went.

So for now i wired it on permanent, until i get around to installing a new pump.

Responce is ALOT better off the line now. I'll head out to the drags soon for an update, hopefully into the 13's.

Gary.

got a 14.7 cou[le of weeks ago

only got minor mods

3" x force exhaust high flow cat

safc2

split pulse dump pipe

standard intercooler

10.5psi on stock turbo

215rwhp

tryied to do tune up but not producing anymore power, think the standard intercooler has caused a restriction. will replace soon

i don't have a r33 have got a r32 but i am just wondering how do you stall the auto's up i never seem to be able to get mine to do it. Best i couild manage was 2000 and that was after very very slowly stalling it up 500rpm at a time. Which would kind leave me sitting on the line at the drag. Also would a shift kit help make stalling it up a bit easier.

probably more important than power and turbo's etc is how does it launch. how are you taking off, does it bog down, does it wheelspin, does it feel sluggish at the launch stage? no point adding more boost and a big turbo if the launch is average as.