SAU Community

R32 Gtst Whiteline & Bilstein Suspension

Sydneykid

Waiting also

I PM'd Sydneykid on friday and was told still waiting for springs

Im in a bit of a shit situation as I sold my coilovers and have borrowed some suspension to put in the car for the time being, but I need to get this back, hopefully by the weekend

Hoping they will be here this week, as i'm off for a bit of a break from work soon and want to get the car sorted before I go

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine this morning! Great stuff

Only got a few questions -

I have had a look but haven't been able to find what the ride heights will be at the various grooves? I have seen it somewhere before but I cant find it now

Also, will the corresponding groove on the front give the same ride height as the rear?

Bump stops and dust covers arrived also, looks simple enough to set them up as you have posted.

I will be putting them together myself, and hints or tips for me?

The rear springs also didn't correspond exactly to the product number on the group buy sheet, but the last 3 numbers did so I assume these are the correct springs? The ones I got are product number C90-20191

Thanks for all your help,

Chris

Got mine this morning! Great stuff

Only got a few questions -

I have had a look but haven't been able to find what the ride heights will be at the various grooves? I have seen it somewhere before but I cant find it now

Also, will the corresponding groove on the front give the same ride height as the rear?

Bump stops and dust covers arrived also, looks simple enough to set them up as you have posted.

I will be putting them together myself, and hints or tips for me?

The rear springs also didn't correspond exactly to the product number on the group buy sheet, but the last 3 numbers did so I assume these are the correct springs? The ones I got are product number C90-20191

Thanks for all your help,

Chris

Hi Chris, wow that was quick delivery, they only left around 3.30pm Friday.

Yep C90-20191 = 70191

(Should have had 70191 on the box)

The shocks come with the circlips in the standard groove. Since the springs are 30 mm lower (than standard springs) that means the standard groove will give you 30 mm lower than standard (when new) height. Remember that springs take a couple of days to settle to their height and usually come down around 5 mm from when they are first installed.

All measurements following are centre of wheel to guard vertically;

Standard (new) height is ~385 mm front & ~375 mm rear

355/345 mm are the standard circlip positions

347/338 mm are one circlip groove down

339/ 330 mm are two circlip grooves down

331/328 mm is the lowest of the 6 circlip gooves

Note that 355/345 mm is the best handling positon.

You will need a spring compressor to remove the standard springs, as they have a lot of preload.

Hope that was of some help

:blink: cheers :blink:

• Like 1

Hi Chris, wow that was quick delivery, they only left around 3.30pm Friday.

Yep C90-20191 = 70191

(Should have had 70191 on the box)

The shocks come with the circlips in the standard groove.  Since the springs are 30 mm lower (than standard springs) that means the standard groove will give you 30 mm lower than standard (when new) height.  Remember that springs take a couple of days to settle to their height and usually come down around 5 mm from when they are first installed.

All measurements following are centre of wheel to guard vertically;

Standard (new) height is ~385 mm front & ~375 mm rear

355/345 mm are the standard circlip positions

347/338 mm are one circlip groove down

339/ 330 mm are two circlip grooves down

331/328 mm is the lowest of the 6 circlip gooves

Note that 355/345 mm is the best handling positon.

You will need a spring compressor to remove the standard springs, as they have a lot of preload.

Hope that was of some help

:blink: cheers :blink:

Cool, thanks for that. I will set them up at the reccomended height. Will be a big differance from the 308/305mm ride height previous!

Shipping came quite quickly, and all arrived ingood condition

Another quick question, I know this sounds stupid, but the centre nut that screws onto the shaft, once the tops are on do you do this all the way up or just enough to hold it all on there? I have seen some shocks where it sits right up the top, and others that sit right down as far as it can go.

Is it worth securing the dust covers with a zip tie around the body of the damper? I take it the bump stop sits in the groove of the dust cover like in your picture, but I can see the dust cover being able to slide up the damper body unless its secured

While I'm on that topic as well, should I pull the dust cover/bump stop hard against the damper body, or let common sense tell me I might be best to allow them to have a bit of give in them so they can move around a bit with the suspension

Thanks, Chris

Cool, thanks for that. I will set them up at the reccomended height. Will be a big differance from the 308/305mm ride height previous!

Shipping came quite quickly, and all arrived ingood condition

Another quick question, I know this sounds stupid, but the centre nut that screws onto the shaft, once the tops are on do you do this all the way up or just enough to hold it all on there? I have seen some shocks where it sits right up the top, and others that sit right down as far as it can go.

Is it worth securing the dust covers with a zip tie around the body of the damper? I take it the bump stop sits in the groove of the dust cover like in your picture, but I can see the dust cover being able to slide up the damper body unless its secured

While I'm on that topic as well, should I pull the dust cover/bump stop hard against the damper body, or let common sense tell me I might be best to allow them to have a bit of give in them so they can move around a bit with the suspension

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris, you should notice a big improvement in handling and traction compared to 308/305. There would have been all sorts of strange suspension geometry at the height. Tighten the shock nuts until the thread stops, don't use excessive force. The top of the dust covers is held in place by the bump stop, so the bottom has to be free to move up and down.

:D Cheers :D

Okay, my shocks, springs, and bump stops/dust covers have arrived, the sway bars are still in transit, but i'm a little confuse re: circlip grooves.

As you can see (despite the watermark's besst efforts):

Bilsteins_sm.jpg

Bilsteins_CCs.jpg

I seem to have 7 grooves (3 silver, 2 yellow, then 2 silver) rather than 6, so which is which height SK?

Cheers,

- Ash.

Put a front and a rear together last night

One question, are the springs supposed to remain captive at full extension? I thought I'd need spring compressors but didn't need to use them at all.

the rear spring is pretty much captive, you can move it around ever so slightly, but the front has a good few mm of movement?

Is this because the springs are a bit lower than stock? Circlip height is as reccomended

Chris

I got a mate who owns a wrecking yard to get me a set of tops and rubber bits etc, so not sure mate.

I am guessing you would, as the stock springs are higher??

Downside I have a brand new spring compressor set I don't need!

Hi Guys some questions, which I will do my best to answer;

* The circlip is in the standard groove when the shocks are shipped from Bilstein.

* The Whiteline springs should be lightly trapped.

* You will need spring compressors on the standard springs as they have a lot of preload, about 300 lbs per inch. So don't just undo the shock nut, stuff will hit you at very high velocity.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Hi Guys some questions, which I will do my best to answer;

* The circlip is in the standard groove when the shocks are shipped from Bilstein.

* The Whiteline springs should be lightly trapped.

* You will need spring compressors on the standard springs as they have a lot of preload, about 300 lbs per inch.  So don't just undo the shock nut, stuff will hit you at very high velocity.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Okay, so which groove is for your recommended 330mm again? Edit: Oops that should be 350mm ;)

Now my bars have turned up, yay, but i seem to have received a BNF28Z rather than a BNF26Z. What are my options here?

i.e. The car is almost 100% street driven, I was intending to run both bars at their softest settings, where does BNF28Z at its softest sit in relation to a BNF26Z?

Cheers.

Edit: I suppose i should double check that BNF26Z IS the correct one for this "kit", as you actually have BNR26Z down for both, being obviously a typo i assumed the F.

Edited by Oosh

Okay, so which groove is for your recommended 330mm again?

Now my bars have turned up, yay, but i seem to have received a BNF28Z rather than a BNF26Z. What are my options here?

i.e. The car is almost 100% street driven, I was intending to run both bars at their softest settings, where does BNF28Z at its softest sit in relation to a BNF26Z?

Cheers.

Edit: I suppose i should double check that BNF26Z IS the correct one for this "kit", as you actually have BNR26Z down for both,  being obviously a typo i assumed the F.

To stop people simplistically copying the kits, I have slipped in the odd twist. :D You have the right stabiliser bars, as was confirmed via PM at the time of ordering :)

I recommend 355 mm front and 345 mm rear, which are the standard grooves (the Bilstein are shipped with the circlips in the standard grooves). I don't recommend 331 mm front 321 mm rear, as it is too low for good ride and handling. If you want it that low for looks then that is 3 circlip grooves lower than standard. Each circlip groove is 8mm from the next groove.

Hope that helps

:) Cheers :)

Edited by Sydneykid

Mines all in, took a bitof playing around to get the heights right but it wasn't too hard

Initially my circlips where on the lower of the two grooves that where machined stock

This proved to be too low, so out they came and where put on the higher of the two stock grooves

This gave me a ride height of around 340mm, so pretty happy with that, apart from the front right which is 334mm so I might bump that one up to the next groove to get them all even.

Just ran out of time otherwise i would have done that

I will also see what height it settles at before I get all the allignment done, as I might need to bump it up a bit still, depending on where it settles

On the road ti feels really good