SAU Community

R32 Gts4 - Upgrade Options?

Hey,

Just looking at some options for an R32 GTS4 (turbo). Friend has a stocker and looking for a fairly significant performance boost. He's interested an engine swap mainly.

What options are there for a GTS4 to still retain the running gear?

Obviously there's the RB25DET from a Stagea, RB26DETT, but are there any other possibilities?

Thanks!

I think those are the only real options. Although you could build a RB24 from the RB20.

I've gone the Stagea RB25DET path. The engine is otherwise stock, and I'm running a Wolf 3D 4+ ECU. Power tops out at 180 kW at all four wheels. (RB20DET had 115!). Main problem I'm encountering is that the RB25 has too much torque to need the 4.375 GTS4 diff ratios (I'm currently trying to fit a Stagea 4.08 diff set).

If you go this path, leave all the loom in place, and get a plug'n'play GTR ECU. This will allow you to retain the 4WD workings, and the A/C. If the engine comes with VVT, you can add the necessary wiring to make it work.

Did you have many problems dropping that in Elk?

My friend is looking going down the GTR path. He's been quoted over $20k for a HKS T04Z, Giken cross gear set, GTR box, all the ancillaries, etc but without engine!

He was told that this package would give him 400awkw+ and spool at around 4000rpm. Personally I can think of plenty of other things I could do with $20k..

Did you have many problems dropping that in Elk?

My friend is looking going down the GTR path. He's been quoted over $20k for a HKS T04Z, Giken cross gear set, GTR box, all the ancillaries, etc but without engine!

He was told that this package would give him 400awkw+ and spool at around 4000rpm. Personally I can think of plenty of other things I could do with $20k..

The main problem I encountered was using the wire-in loom, rather than the plug'n'play. Engine simply drops in. And the GTS4's box is more than up to the task of moving motive power to the wheels.

All up, I reckon it cost me close to $8k, including a flywheel / clutch set up (Stageas are generally autos).

RB30 its the only way!!!!!!

you either own a VL or are from the USA right?

If you want to save yourself the hassles of not converting an auto engine to manual, you should look into getting a RB25DET out of a laurel (or was it leopard?) or one of the other sedans.

RB30 bottom end needs to be converted to have a front diff etc, which is not really a small budget solution.

If he's ultimately gonna crave power and doesn't have a deep pocket, tell him to sell the car and buy a GTR once he's saved enough. If he's happy with a slow build up that may cost a lil extra in the long run, go for an RB25DET swap.

Guys I was thinking about some of this stuff but what is the real world cost of GTS4 with the GTR diffs/gearbox .

While you might want the engine, you just keep the gts4 diffs, they are the same except the ratio is 10% shorter for better accelleration (and worse fuel economy lol)

30K NZ that farkin ridiculous. I dont know how some of these guys are justyfying what they are selling against the real cost, ah well good for him if people are doing it. With my plate if you droped it off to a shop and threw them my instrusction guide, which is 16 pages with diagrams and very detailed, theres no way they could charge you anymore than $1200 to fit it all. Simply put theres a little drilling, some cutting, and welding and about $50 in materials. I am not a salesman and I am not in selling my designed plates for making money I make around $50-$100 a plate and it covers my running around, fuel and trys to recoupe some r and d time. Its up to you but there are 2 gts4s running my plate and although I have never been in the car according to the owner its a totally different car, and couldnt want anymore from a street car that he has only spent around 10g on all the mods!!!

Funky

Not American nor do I own a VL, you need to go in a r33 with a rb25 then go in the same speced r33 (ie, same sized turbo, exhaust etc...) with a rb30, and you will understand why its the best possible solution. You can eve take a ride in a gtr with a t88 then hop in a supra with the same turbo, the supra is heavier but based on average power will be a much more user friendly car and the torque will more than disguise the extra weight. Theres not alot more work in putting in a r30 over a rb25 they are both pretty big jobs!!!!