SAU Community

R32 Gtr Bilstein & Whiteline Suspension

Sydneykid

Now they are REAL Swedish Ohlins, with bump adjustment on the cannister and rebound adjustment on the shock top.  They look like an R32GTR set.  Big spring rates, the fronts are 850 lbs per inch if I remember rightly.

Send me the coil dimensions and I can check them for you if you want.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=79157

:D cheers :D

Pretty sure they're these:

Ohlins

Can't measure the spring rates yet; they're in transit :)

will let you know when they arrive

Edit:

I want to order these, Gary, so the process is - transfer the $$ into the account, send you a PM with name address etc etc and internet banking transfer copy? Will do it Friday all things going well...

BNF27Z Front stabiliser bar $219.00

BNR26XZ Rear stabiliser bar $219.00

KCA332 Caster Kit $115.00

KCA336 Front Camber kit $272.00

KCA347 Rear Camber Kit $123.00

KCA349 Rear Subframe alignment kit $105.00

Zero Freight $-

Sub Total $1,053.00

Less extra 5% $52.65

Total $1,000.35

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure they're these:

Ohlins

Can't measure the spring rates yet; they're in transit :(

will let you know when they arrive

Edit:

I want to order these, Gary, so the process is - transfer the $$ into the account, send you a PM with name address etc etc and internet banking transfer copy?  Will do it Friday all things going well...

KCA349 Rear Subframe alignment kit $105.00

Zero Freight $-

Sub Total $1,053.00

Less extra 5% $52.65

Total $1,000.35

PM sent

:) cheers :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello Gary,

Could you please contact me asap with delivery details.

I have pm'd you twice with no response since paying. :P

Update please.

Cheers

Sorry, I took the first weekend off from the PC since Xmas. I get around 30 PM's per day and I answer every single one. My mailbox is full, I will respond as soon as I can.

:) cheers ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I spoke to the Australia Bilstein agent this morning and they are almost out of R32GTR front shocks, there are a few sets of rears available. The recent production run at Bilstein did not include R32GTR shocks.

So for anyone thinking of getting a Group Buy kit for ther R32GTR, I strongly suggest that you get in while the stock lasts. Going on previous experience it was many months before another production run of Skyline shocks was scheduled.

:( Cheers :)

Gary,

I'm interested in getting springs for my Quantum shocks, but while I'm at it, I want to fix up the racket from my worn pillow tops. I received a quote from the Shock Absorber Reconditioners who told me it would cost at least $700 to refurbish the pillow tops, and that was at just about cost price! Normally they do them for around $35 each, but the Quantums are an odd size and can only be bought through one distributor, and he charges heaps.

Do you know if it is possible to replace pillow tops with standard shock absorber fittings? If so, I'll get the springs and finally get my suspension comfortable and quiet. Otherwise I'll have to go the whole hog and replace the springs. There is no way I want to spend half the price of a complete set of shocks just on the pillow tops.

Gary,

I'm interested in getting springs for my Quantum shocks, but while I'm at it, I want to fix up the racket from my worn pillow tops. I received a quote from the Shock Absorber Reconditioners who told me it would cost at least $700 to refurbish the pillow tops, and that was at just about cost price! Normally they do them for around $35 each, but the Quantums are an odd size and can only be bought through one distributor, and he charges heaps.

Do you know if it is possible to replace pillow tops with standard shock absorber fittings? If so, I'll get the springs and finally get my suspension comfortable and quiet. Otherwise I'll have to go the whole hog and replace the springs. There is no way I want to spend half the price of a complete set of shocks just on the pillow tops.

The usual problem with sperical bearings, they wear out fast, knock like a bustard and you can't buy replacements. You aren't the first with this problem, nor I suspect will you be the last.

What you do is use normal race coil over spring tops of the correct size for the springs (around $40 each) and standard strut tops, without the rubber spring seats. You may have to drill the centre hole in the race coil over spring tops to suit the shock shaft. Plus you will have to change the bump stops and the dust covers. All up you are looking at around $300 (depending on the cost of the standard strut tops) inlcuding an hour's work fitting them up.

I can do it for you and fit the new springs at the same time. All you have to do is pack them up and I will get them picked up by Toll Priority. Turn around would be ~5 working days. PM me for more details.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi S.K.

I previously had a 32 gtst which I had put brand new bilstein shocks and Eibach springs into, and not long after both the front top plates broke, both within about a week of each other.

I now have an aus delivered 32 GTR and require new suspension, so I guess if I were to purchase new bilstein's and whiteline springs, is there anything else I can do to prevent top plates breaking again, i.e get aftermarket top plates etc?

For some reason I cant veiw the price list image could you please quote the following for a r32 GTR:

A full set of bilsteins (with dust covers)

A full set of whiteline springs

front and rear adjustable sway bars

Front caster kit

front camber kit

rear camber kit

Thanks for your help.

Hi S.K.

I previously had a 32 gtst which I had put brand new bilstein shocks and Eibach springs into, and not long after both the front top plates broke, both within about a week of each other.

I now have an aus delivered 32 GTR and require new suspension, so I guess if I were to purchase new bilstein's and whiteline springs, is there anything else I can do to prevent top plates breaking again, i.e get aftermarket top plates etc?

For some reason I cant veiw the price list image could you please quote the following for a r32 GTR:

A full set of bilsteins (with dust covers)

A full set of whiteline springs

front and rear adjustable sway bars

Front caster kit

front camber kit

rear camber kit

Thanks for your help.

The Gallery upgrade isn't finished so the images aren't loading yet. Prices as follows;

Nissan Skyline

R32GTR

73157 Front Springs $144.00

70191 Rear Springs $144.00

Front Bilstein Shocks $578.00

Rear Bilstein Shocks $578.00

W0921 Bump Stop & Dust Cover X 2 $102.00

Zero Freight $-

Sub Total $2,494.00

Less extra 5% $124.70

Total $2,369.30

I have never seen or heard of the standard strut tops breaking. We have raced the Production R32GTR for 4 years and never had a problem and it runs big shock rates to make up for the regulations required, standard stabiliser bars. Multiple Targa Tas, Duttons, Bathurst endurance races etc all with standard strut tops. I have seen plenty with worn shock shaft holes, but never a cracked one.

The Gallery upgrade isn't finished so the images aren't loading yet. Prices as follows;

Nissan Skyline

R32GTR

73157 Front Springs $144.00

70191 Rear Springs $144.00

Front Bilstein Shocks $578.00

Rear Bilstein Shocks $578.00

W0921 Bump Stop & Dust Cover X 2 $102.00

Zero Freight $-

Sub Total $2,494.00

Less extra 5% $124.70

Total $2,369.30

I have never seen or heard of the standard strut tops breaking. We have raced the Production R32GTR for 4 years and never had a problem and it runs big shock rates to make up for the regulations required, standard stabiliser bars. Multiple Targa Tas, Duttons, Bathurst endurance races etc all with standard strut tops. I have seen plenty with worn shock shaft holes, but never a cracked one.

:D cheers :pwned:

Thanks for your reply, I have to do something about my suspension soon and I am leaning toward this kit.

As for the broken top plates there were 3 spot welds which cracked, I couldn't believe it either, but then again that car wasn't the best.

Thanks again I will probably be in touch in about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for your reply, I have to do something about my suspension soon and I am leaning toward this kit.

As for the broken top plates there were 3 spot welds which cracked, I couldn't believe it either, but then again that car wasn't the best.

Thanks again I will probably be in touch in about 3-4 weeks.

Don't delay it too long, there are only 2 sets of R32GTR rear shocks left. Bilstein do not have a production run scheduled for many months.

:( cheers :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

Sydneykid,

Thanks for putting your time and experience into this forum - much appreciated. I have read through as much of the content as I can find and would be appreciative if you could confirm my interpretation of what is ideal for my car. I have put this on the thread rather than a PM since others may benefit.

First some background

I recently bought a 91 GTR with factory suspension including shock absorbers (98km) except for what appear to be tein springs which drop the car about an inch.

I use the car on the road and not the track. The car handles well but crashes a little on bumps. I don't know if any of the bushes or shocks have been replaced.

I recently installed 17x9 wheels with 255 tyres which accentuated a problem which must have been there from the start. Car pulls slightly to the right.

Got an alignment done and the caster was different by 2 degrees on the front. I couldn't see any obvious damage to the chassis or the caster rod. I am not sure if the bushes were of differing condition.

I believed the suggested solution of new adjustable rods would be a good one....out comes the credit card and some cusco pillow ball tension rods are in the post - should have read this forum first...........

So in summary should I:

....get the tension rods installed and aim for +5 degrees positive castor with slightly more on the LHS.

Thanks in advance - advice such as yours is gold given most shops are just young kids selling off the shop brochures.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by nustad

although I hvan't read every post...if ur in melb get them fitted at Centreline Suspension...talk to Chris and he is great. You will pay a little extra but is service is first rate - probably the best I have had - fixed all my issues no problems...My new R33 is going straight to him once its back from the panel beaters...I might get some of these...

Sydneykid,

Thanks for putting your time and experience into this forum - much appreciated. I have read through as much of the content as I can find and would be appreciative if you could confirm my interpretation of what is ideal for my car. I have put this on the thread rather than a PM since others may benefit.

First some background

I recently bought a 91 GTR with factory suspension including shock absorbers (98km) except for what appear to be tein springs which drop the car about an inch.

I use the car on the road and not the track. The car handles well but crashes a little on bumps. I don't know if any of the bushes or shocks have been replaced.

I recently installed 17x9 wheels with 255 tyres which accentuated a problem which must have been there from the start. Car pulls slightly to the right.

Got an alignment done and the caster was different by 2 degrees on the front. I couldn't see any obvious damage to the chassis or the caster rod. I am not sure if the bushes were of differing condition.

I believed the suggested solution of new adjustable rods would be a good one....out comes the credit card and some cusco pillow ball tension rods are in the post - should have read this forum first...........

So in summary should I:

....get the tension rods installed and aim for +5 degrees positive castor with slightly more on the LHS.

Thanks in advance - advice such as yours is gold given most shops are just young kids selling off the shop brochures.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Glen, 19" wheels and the low profile tyres they force you to run, simple accerbate any harshness in the suspension. And sherical joints in radius rods is about as harsh as you get. Correcting the caster missalignment will help the straight line stability. But it won't do anything good for the harshness that's for sure.

:rofl: cheers :ban: