SAU Community

Best Sounding Exhaust?

Paradizzle

I recently sold a Blitz Nur Spec cat back which sounded great! it just had a res and rear cannon with silencer.... super quiet on the freeway...

I now have an Apexi N1 which as a mid muffler and a rear cannon, it has a deeper note with more drone on the freeway but i dont have the silencer installed...

Hope that helped..

Did alot of exhaust work on first turbo car as it had issues. Two things, DUMP and Muffler. Both of those were changed by themselves on seperate occasions with no other changes and they make MASSIVE differences to change in sound.

If you just want sound, just change the muffler.

Front pipe and dump made my exhaust more "deeper" in tone and I suppose you could say its more louder when giving it a hit too.

That said its all personal preferance man. I've heard that the Kakimotos are extra quiet, and having a 5-Zigen myself they are known to be loud. My 5-Zigen Rocket one isn't too loud to be annoying (it's actually quiet from inside the cabin) and is loud enough to sound sweet from the outside and when I give it a hit.

I can't remember what catback my brother had on his R33 but it was the best sounding turbo car I've ever heard. So freaking growly and mean. I'll try to find out for you.

LOL to nismo33's avatar pic,

um yeh as every one has been saying, the main thing is the muffler(s), change or remove some..... i have a trust exhaust system and its not that loud, but now that i removed the resonator, and changed the dump its heaps louder.

You are never going to get a definite answer. Everybody has different opinions on a good exhaust note: witness the huge droney exhausts some people install (and as you can probably guess, I prefer something less attention seeking). Moreover, other modifications can have an impact on exhaust sound so two cars with the same exhaust but different modifications will likely sound different.

I have fiddled around with exhausts on a number of cars and it all depends on the level of muff........

My GTR had a Nismo exhaust - it was incredibly quiet, changed the muffler to a steel Luki sports muffler and it was slightly louder, ended up changing that for a straight through RPS muffler with three inch bore - now sounds beautiful.

You can get a mild steel three inch exhaust made up with a resonator in the tranny tunnel and a straight through muffler on the back for modest money - this should sound right nice!

how long is a piece of string?

my opinion is that my exhaust combo sounds best :)

i think the best option is a free-flowing exhaust with a massive resonator. this keeps the deep sound but removes the drone

everyone is going to have their own opinion here, and every exhaust sounds different on different cars

the blitz nur spec r's are good the drone a bit off boost around 2 - 2.5 rpm which isnt so bad in my 32 because it sits arond 3grand on 100 area very free flowing too. very small resignator worth the cash you pay for it.

HKS super drager sounds great not to quiet not to loud either. The note got deeper and quieter at low revs when I fitted my dump and hi-flo cat.

cheers

A lot of people seem to like the Super Dragers. I've always been a little sceptical of their design given the HKS pipework has some fairly large bends in it (atleast for the R32). I would personally opt for a more straightfoward "N1" style pipework.

I also got the HKS Super dragger muffler with custom 3.5" cat back piping & it was originally fairly quite. But, as soon as I replaced the generic hi-flow cat with the higher flowing barrell type cat it now has a lot deeper & agressive tone.