SAU Community

What's Going On With Everyones Cars?

phat_r33

Hey Guys,

I'm new about these parts but I just bought myself a 1996 Skyline, (originally it was a GTS that was turboed by the previous owner). The main reason for buying a skyline was to get into drifting, I know a R33 isn't the best car for this application but it was amazingly cheap and my house mate has a R33 too. So I thought it would be fun to have the same car and we could share notes and parts.

Car was $3500 from a bloke off these forums and it was $870 to get it to Hobart from Sydney.

Receiving the car from the depot, I think the taxi driver was more excited than I was, a young bloke like me that likes his Skylines, but I hopped in the car and fired it up, it made the unmistakable sound of a ruined engine so I immediately drove it to GT Garage in Monah to get a proper diagnosis. On the drive over it became apparent that the Turbo was also on the way out.

Having ruined a perfectly good VL previously in a fail attempt to modify it I decided I would remove my self from this project as much as I could entrusting my self only to remove the interior and install new seats. Nick over at GT Garage was very helpful and said he could get the car doing what I want for what I thought was a very reasonable fee. Rebuilding the engine and putting all the usual suspects in there, Forged slugs and rods, lumpy cams, port polished, ACL Racing bearings, nismo injectors, new upgraded water and oil pumps, Motec ECU, coilovers and all that jazz.

Current status of the project is, I've got the car and I've paid for and ordered the parts.

So that's my story, I'm sure it's similar to the stories of some of you and I look forward to reading them all on here and hopefully I'll bump into some of you along the way in my quest to become Not Tasmania's worst Drifter.

Here is a pic with my WRX Lurking in the back ground.

skyline1.jpg

Dont think it will be ready for powercruise. Even if it is im not going to enter as the last 3 years i have lost a engine prior to each event. lol. I want to drive this thing for a change.

What is the progres with your car Rob

Hey Guys,

I'm new about these parts but I just bought myself a 1996 Skyline, (originally it was a GTS that was turboed by the previous owner). The main reason for buying a skyline was to get into drifting, I know a R33 isn't the best car for this application but it was amazingly cheap and my house mate has a R33 too. So I thought it would be fun to have the same car and we could share notes and parts.

Good luck with the project,will be a great car with Nick looking after you. Just a quick odservation. The car in the pic isn't a 96 model, at latest it would be a 95 series 1.5.

Hey Guys,

Car was $3500 from a bloke off these forums and it was $870 to get it to Hobart from Sydney.

Current status of the project is, I've got the car and I've paid for and ordered the parts.

looks like it has potential mate , t67 and supporting mods from gt garage?? . r33 are a pretty good choice for a drift car imo , they are essentially a lwb s14 so don't be fooled into thinking it will be no good. your car is in pretty good hands with nick and ben , i'm 100% sure you'll be happy with the end reult! , did you want a list of suspension etc mods you will be wanting?

Hey Wog Boy, I'm just going off what it says on the rego, so if you think it's a 95 then it might just be, I'll check it out when I get home later.

@ Wubzy, I'll post heaps more pics later as a "Before" shot before it goes to stay at GT for a while.

@ Toffy, Yes I'd be interested in what you have to say about suspension.

For all those interested in the more detailed shopping list:

Nissan Gasket Kit

Nissan N1 Water Pump

Nissan N1 Oil Pump (wtih Nitto crank collar to suit)

Nissan Timing belt

New Thermostat (low Temp)

Nitto 1.2mm Head Gasket

ACL Race Bearings (Mains and Big end)

Nitto Forged Pistons

Nitto Forged H-beam Con Rods

Machining - Head, Port and Polish

New Valve Guides

Machining Engine Block

Linish Crankshaft

Bore and Hone

740cc Nismo Injectors

Haltec Plug In Pro ECU

Turbo TBC

Cams TBC

I've been doing some lurking on SAU and I'm thinking a 3076R Turbo might be the way to go. Thoughts?

I haven't done any research on Cams yet so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the progres with your car Rob

I sent the engine back to proengines to get it all fixed up with a "few" extras

Will be upgrading the fuel system and run it on E85

But im in no rush to get it running, it can just sit in the shed and gather dust till I can be bothered with it.

Hey Wog Boy, I'm just going off what it says on the rego, so if you think it's a 95 then it might just be, I'll check it out when I get home later.

@ Wubzy, I'll post heaps more pics later as a "Before" shot before it goes to stay at GT for a while.

@ Toffy, Yes I'd be interested in what you have to say about suspension.

For all those interested in the more detailed shopping list:

Nissan Gasket Kit

Nissan N1 Water Pump

Nissan N1 Oil Pump (wtih Nitto crank collar to suit)

Nissan Timing belt

New Thermostat (low Temp)

Nitto 1.2mm Head Gasket

ACL Race Bearings (Mains and Big end)

Nitto Forged Pistons

Nitto Forged H-beam Con Rods

Machining - Head, Port and Polish

New Valve Guides

Machining Engine Block

Linish Crankshaft

Bore and Hone

740cc Nismo Injectors

Haltec Plug In Pro ECU

Turbo TBC

Cams TBC

I've been doing some lurking on SAU and I'm thinking a 3076R Turbo might be the way to go. Thoughts?

I haven't done any research on Cams yet so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Have you thought about building a 30 bottom end instead of the 25..?

Have you thought about building a 30 bottom end instead of the 25..?

Yes I did for about 5 mins. But then I thought it'd be better to leave it at it's stock capacity in case I ever wanted to do rally.

If anyone wants an RB30 bottom end I've got a spare whole engine (series 2) with a broken head. Make an offer, Dad wants it gone out of his shed.

hey guys

just thought id add my ride and somethings about it

i just brought this car after owning a 04 XR6T capa tune ect

Ride : R34 Gtt Neo6 2door

Year : 06/98 Imported 08/05

Body kit :??think its like a demax not sure??

Mods: Tein fully addjustable coilovers,exeon lights , 3inch custom Exhaust with a 5"huricane end, pod filter Hks digital Boost controller

apart from that it was stock

i got it off a mates old man it was his daily driver to work so frount bar seen better days (stoned to s#it)down.gif

iv had it for about 2weeks now and mods are

consol repainted in mica blue ( 3new guages for cluster in the next few weeks)

40mm alloy radiatour

new pod

new funky led mulit colour lights . 2under seats. 2 under dash and other 2 are beside pila armon window

blue led interior light

Gtr Fuel Pump

full Fluid change

new Belt all round(fan,aircon,P/S)

Items to be installed (plans)

rockfordfosgate PunchP3 1000wat 12inch with alpine 1000wat monoD amp

i have placed a order with Tunehouse for a HKS GT-RS Turbo kit

600cc Injectors

befor my turbo arrives hopefully i can get it in for a new Steel HeadGasket, Surface Grind, top end gasket set new arp head stud kit

spark plugs(NGK), HKS time belt

also once i have sold my Bike it will be going on for a Vipec ecu tune and custom Intake pipes :rofl:

will this is my baby

:wub:med_gallery_79589_4081_37235.jpg