Building A Garage

Duncan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

two bay with carports in frount. biggest size bays you can get. I have normal (not sure) size bays and its a bit squishy with a car and a worchbench at the end. Dont bother getting a tall one.. at least 2 bays, best bet would be three if you can fit it in your yard

- go for 3 bays (2 cars but more room :D)

- remember you will need a spot for engine stand

- a spot for workbench

- a spot for the huge ass snap on tool box

- a spot for sofa

- a wall for a plasma screen

- a spot for beer fridge

- sink for greasy washing up

- might want to look into ventilation for exhaust fumes and heat

- you want to have a roundabout in front of the garage

- and a big ass shelf for all those boxes, n shit

ok a word of warning when building a shed duncan, make sure the ground is solid and there is no top soil 1 metre under the foundation...

bit complex in our situation, but it has caused major problems and headaches, and it was the bloody councils fault

we have pretty much had to dig around and under part of the foundation fill with concrete and place a bit I beam in there to support....

but anyway enough of that, our shed is a quaker barn style 2 storey(upper level is a self contained unit) single roller door, 3 car with a pit, engine chain on a roller, still comming along but its gonna be good.

thanks guys :D

I was thinking either 7 or 8m deep to allow 2-3m for workbench and workspace behind the cars, is that enough or is it going to shit me for years to come?

It will be 3 bays wide, I am thinking 1 single door for the daily driver and a double width door for the race car to live in the middle of 2 bays for plenty of space.

And Eug....as if I would need room for an engine stand :D

that sounds phat_mr30, what size is it all up?

I am thinking nice thick concrete slab as the base, will probably be attached to the house.

What did you need for the engine chain and roller? anything tricky? sounds like a great idea.

When it comes to Garage doors and remotes,you can use a roller up to 5200mm,after that you go into industrial pricing,so you use a Sectional panel door,you can go up to 7000mm.If you go 2 doors you are up for another $450 for an extra remote motor.Most double doors are 4800mm and singles 2400mm,keep the height under 2400mm and you save more money with either door.

ahh yes the hoist.....

I was thinking about leaving that outside the garage, nice cheap second hand 2 poster. Its going to be a bit tricky to get 4m clearance in the garage with the design we are thinking (garage roof is a balcony for the main house). Also, I am worried a hoist will make it a bit tricky to work around sometimes since it has to be fixed in place in one of the spots.

Skyline 4.5m long. Workbench about .7m deep = 5.2m so you only have .8m which I reckon is too close too. But I am a bit worried about 8m long garage + driveway into the garage and how much space that will take out of the back yard :D Its an OK block but not hge and I need some grass left

Make sure the entrance is tall enough so that a 4WD can get in (I know sounds silly but I noticed this when we were looking at houses, some weren't tall enough).

Something else I realy liked but settled without was having a back garage door so you could drive into the backyard, store a boat etc. Little things like that might even be selling points if you ever decided to move.