SAU Community

The Law For Modification

viet_boi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure abt the water cooled FMIC....but they will not give permit for them..even tho if you passed the pit....

I think custom boot isntalled sound system are illegal as well...beacuse you need to remove the spare tires to have them installed..

Harleys are the only production bikes without muffler...I think I read sumwhere...but not a lot of ppl own harleys I guess...

that's their trademark..no mufller...

Its not hard to get the correct info yourself rather than take your choice of alot of the "my mate was told" or "the guy at the pits I went to said" conjecture that is in here. Go to the pits and ask for copies of half this stuff - I did. Or some of the straight forward stuff is on the dpi website. But yeah - every inspector will have different "let you off" levels - but if you want the technically correct info then get the written guidelines on them all.

Like for wheel/tyre aspect ratios and width info: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1884.asp

(eg rims no wider than 7" unless it was a factory option; rim OR tyres not to extend factory maximum track width by 25mm total (12.5mm each side); can go up two inches in RIM diametre but cant increase overall tyre diametre and still cant go wider than 7")

For exhaust systems: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1885.asp

(eg - theres no set dB limit - it is quoted as "The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer’s original system by a noticeable amount")

Alternative steering wheels: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1886.asp

(eg cant be smaller than 13")

Suspension: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1889.asp

(eg cant lower actual suspension more than 1/3 original bump-stop etc... but interestingly we dont have 10cm rule for accessories or spoiler lips etc which can go lower down to tyre profile width... "No part of a vehicle or accessories (except flexible mud flaps) shall project below the lower edge of a wheel rim")

Bonnet scoops: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1913.asp

(ie NO rearward openings allowed for vents - not even MESH like someone suggested) Again you can ask for the full spec sheets - which i did for bonnet vents and scanned showing measurements etc:

ScoopLineOfSight.jpg

ScoopOpeningSize.jpg

Thats just the few on their website - they have loads of the more detailed info sheets you can request - I just walked into the pits and got copies.

The only bit of "i heard from a pit guy" info I will add to the other conjecture in here is that when I got all the sheets about wheels/tyres, the guy a spoke to said while it was still strictly the 7" wide rule... this was one set of guidelines they were reviewing as there is recognition that expecting people to go from 17" to 19" (as allowed under the + 2 rule) but stay at 7" wide was ridiculous ... ever tried to find a 19x7 rim??!! But he didnt think it'd change soon even though it is being reviewed coz it just takes ages in govt depts to change anything.

So the no rearward facing vents, is that because of a fire safety thing? What if you blocked off the vents from underneath the bonnet so nothing could get through with like a detatcheable plate or something?

"But my mom says I'm cool."

Its not hard to get the correct info yourself rather than take your choice of alot of the "my mate was told" or "the guy at the pits I went to said" conjecture that is in here.  Go to the pits and ask for copies of half this stuff - I did.  Or some of the straight forward stuff is on the dpi website. 

or, you can just quote a heap of stuff off the dpi website which is out of date, and unfortuneately doesnt take into account little things like ADRs. (state things like Max DB level of a vehicle exhaust - try reading them) and local road laws, which state that cars must comply with ADRs applicable for their year of manufacture.

You cannot just use one source if you want the whole picture - there are many complementary publications out there, which all need to be read together - or, you can just speak to the head inspector (reno?) at welshpool, as he is the one the other inspectors go to when there is doubt. If you dont like his interpretation, you can take your car to an engineer.

If you want a rough guideline on what will and wont pass, try listening to people who have ACTUALLY HAD THEIR VEHICLE PASSED - the DPI site, its pretty out of date, and can be somewhat misleading if you use tunnel vision.

For those worried about rearward facing vents, dont be, if its the style used in CF bonnets, they are fine as long as the car predates the applicable ADR for compulsory front end collision testing, FACT (go ask reno if you dont beleive me)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to open ancient topic (been searching for this answer for wa and cant find it), but i would like to know if externally gated turbo system is ok? As i would like to go down that avenue soon

I know some of these posts say its cool if its not to loud but there must be an update as that is old

Sorry to open ancient topic (been searching for this answer for wa and cant find it), but i would like to know if externally gated turbo system is ok? As i would like to go down that avenue soon

I know some of these posts say its cool if its not to loud but there must be an update as that is old

I got a yellow on my 33 last year & after they drove it they said I had to get a permit for the turbo & everything else because of the power it was making. Even though it was plumbed back & everything, once I applied & sent in the form they then asked for an emissions test for it. That's where it could be a bit tricky, as I had to go down this avenue, sky34 the same & so did another member that we helped each other out as it was around the same time.

r32 driver did you have a yellow but get through alright? At around the time we all got our yellows off & permits they were changing the emissions testing. We all got an emissions test done for compliance as well that was ok (although I had to fight for mine, over xmas & new years too! A big reason it took so long for me), but they were changing it to something called the IM240 test. No-one in Perth did it at the time so that's why we were ok but because WA adopted the national code of practice, there is one company that brought it in. Apparently the cost for that was going to be around $800, not bad for a 4 minute test hey...

Before you do anything I'd say make some phone calls & get all the info that you can first hand :P

i think i passed a couple months ago now

i had an engineering certificate, all they checked was the certificate number to the mod plate on the car ($500-800)

all my stuff was plumbed back bov, wastegate, catch can etc

no emmisions was tested or power etc

so does that mean my hks ssq series 1 is ok to pass pits?? what about the hose i have blocked off?, or should i just put the stock one back on?

so does that mean my hks ssq series 1 is ok to pass pits?? what about the hose i have blocked off?, or should i just put the stock one back on?

you cannot have any type of atmo venting BOV on your car ...

if you currently have one welded to a pipe or something and you need to goto pits, disconnect the vaccume pipe that goes from the BOV to the plenum so it does not sound when shifting etc...

or even better, remove that section of pipe and replace with standard metal pipe until you pass pits, if possible..

Tyres on a 9" rim can be no lower than 235

and more on what mitchy said earlier..

if your car came with 16" wheels you can go up 2"

so stocker R32 for example , with 16x6.5 you would be able to put any wheel on between 16" and 18"

width: you cannot have them larger than what your tyre placard states . ie. 16x6.5 17x6.5 18x6.5 ..... according to DPI

ALTHOUGH , many pits in WA have no real way of checking width , unless its blatently obvious and stamped on the wheels for them to see, so really if your plac on the door says 16x6.5 and you had 17x8s' on there u wouldnt get reemed ...

If your tyres TREAD sits outside the guards it is illegal. tyre wall is fine (in case of larger rims)

spacers are illegal

ride height should be NO lower than 10cm at the LOWEST point of your car

eg. look under your car, find what the lowest point is (excluding wheels obviously) and see if you can put a COKE CAN under there fine... if not , you need to raise your car

you should not need an exhaust emissions test when going to pits for a yellow, just make sure it is under 92db (get it tested at a muffler place for $15 before you go to pits)

Tint on rear window and rear 1/4 or rear passenger (in case of a 4door) can be less than 35%

passenger and drivers side front windows cannot be less than 35%

and unless your car came from factory with tint in front windscreen , it should be completely tintless.

Ext. wastegates should be plumbed back into exhaust system before cat.

seatbelts must lock when pulled forward (towards front windscreen) and also lock when pulled towards the floor of the car, they must also retract quickly

Rollcage info on the last page is correct

holes in the interior are illegal , Eg. no cd/deck/tapeplayer.. just a hole, is illegal

no speakers in rear shelf, and bare metal showing , is illegal

no carpet on interior is fine, no carpet + stripped sound deadening is also fine, as long as the driver has carpet or something other than metal , where the heel touches the floor (under pedals) in case of water + slipping

Gear shifter info on last page = correct

any more questions feel free to PM me or ask here.

Edited by coFF33

Hrmm.. Emissions things that need to be vented to the exhaust before the cat.. What if your car is pre-86 and didn't come with a cat? Then can I have an atmo catch can? Or do I still need to vent it to the exhaust? Haha.

Would also be interested if anyone knows about chassis strengthening legalities?