SAU Community

Differences Between R33 And R34 Rb26 Engines?

What are the differences in the bare engines, eg block, pistons, rods, heads, cams, crank, oiling etc.

Can one handle more power than the other? Is one stronger or less likely to fail?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same stuff really internally.

Differences are mainly ignition. R34 ignition setup is prone to failing, R33 setup is better.

You also need IIRC a R34 PowerFC for instance to go with a R34 ignition. Paul will remember I'm sure.

Other stuff is mainly visual with different cam covers etc.

IMO you should get a 33 motor if you need one to put into a 32, all your existing stuff is changeover basically with you stuffing around. ECU will work as well.

more less likely to fail would be BNR34 RB26 as it's not as old - given reasonable km usage etc

BNR32 and BCNR33 use same ECU control

BNR34 has minor differences in the ECU, most notably is the ECU socket wiring is different (and built in immoboliser as part of the ecu) - no idea how that works with the PFC

vspec as far as i recall has differences to suspension, 4wd computer logic and other handling characteristics

not aware of engine internal differences

Cool

Just looking for the bare engine

Will an r34 engine completely bolt up to all r32 intake, exhaust and accessories with no drilling, grinding, bending, welding, dremelling, bashing, kicking, praying and cutting?

Thanks

no idea, someone else would be able to comment

but i suspect there would be subtle differences in the chassis and frame

so things like the exhaust etc might not mate up

Everything will bolt to it no problem except the the crank angle sensor and the diff ratio is different due to the 34 having the six speed box, so make sure you use the r32 sump

Edited by r32-25t

couple of points (this has all been covered before btw).

there is no difference between 34 vspec and 34 non vspec engine wise (or turbo wise for that matter). same goes for 33 V-nonV.

34 engine vs 32 and 33? cams are different, 34 cams slightly longer duration and also the CAS drive on the end of the cam is different (so for 34 cams you need 34 CAS and so on).

coolant pipe on intake side of the block is different (easy to swap).

heater hose pipes on rear of the block are different (again easy to change)

diff ratio is different (easy to replace the whole sump with a 32/33 sump or your old sump)

ignition set-up is different with 34s having ignitors built into each coil-pack (32/33 have same set-up with ignitor mounted at the rear of the coil-pack cover)

there is no difference in how manifolds fit up on either intake or exhaust side. no difference in engine mounts either.

you can easily fit any RB26 engine into any model GTR with very minor stuff to address.

Thanks everyone.

I bought an R34 RB26 from a VSpec. The only thing missing is the CAS as Beer Baron advised above.

Are the R32 and R34 RB26 exhaust cams the same? Should I just swap them if they're the same, or get another CAS if they're different? Also, how do I identify if I've got factory or aftermarket cams?

Cheers

my advice would be just buy an R34 Cas and do the wiring mod to get it working in your R32.

otherwise you'll need to fit an R32/33 cam to the head (no problem doing it as there is no physical difference in the head) and then you can run your 32/33 CAS no problem. to me, it's easier to buy an run the 34 cas.

as far as standard cams go pretty sure R34 exhaust cam is longer duration (same lift) compared to 32/33 cam. inlet cams are same.

heaps of difference. 34 ATTESA ECU has much higher sampling rate than 32 does. possibly has improved logic too but the sampling rate improvement alone is significant. on top of that the ETS pro from the VS II/N1 etc R34s is better again. especially noticeable in a circuit car.

also 34 (and 33 for that matter) ATTESA is set to keep some pressure in the transfer case all the time which makes it seem more responsive/quicker acting too.

Do you know what the sampling was? I remember reading moons ago something along the lines of:

R32 100th of a second

R33/R34 1000th of a second

So quite different a long with the pressure etc. Hence you cant just fuse pop a 33 :)

yeah that's about right. sampling rates are massively improved. hence why just sticking the ets pro into a regular 33/34 gives a noticeable improvement on the track. you'd be hard pressed to tell on the street though (between regular 33/34 and ets pro that is).

is there a difference in the actual mechanical operation between the 32 and 33/34

I know the system is changed between models obviously, but what I'm sort of asking is the upgrade merely on the software and hardware end of the operation or are there physical changes to the system that form part of the bonus.

Obviously there is a lot to be gained in making the 32 upto par with some of the other models considering the substantially disparity in sample rates.

I don't actually know the answer but I would say it is almost certainly just a software upgrade, there were huge improvements in computers over that time frame and the mechanical pumps are analog so they can be turned on and off as fast as you like, it is the computer actually being able to do the calculations in the required time that is the difficult bit.