SAU Community

Venom Catalytic Converter?

The height is dependent on the dump pipe, I am using a justjap dump and as you can see the dump pipe itself hangs a bit below the chassis rail (and will not budge since it is bolted to the turbo). There is plenty of room above the cat (between the cat and the underbody heat shield) so if clearance is an issue I would suggest getting a dump pipe that tucks up as close to the body as possible.

Doesn't cause me any issues, my car is close to standard height.

post-1980-0-66808600-1407730332_thumb.jpg

post-1980-0-60798900-1407730341_thumb.jpg

I have found a reduction in ground clearance with the 5 inch cat and a Just Jap Racing (bell mouth, mild steel) dump pipe. Even with standard ride height I have to be careful with bumps and driveways, ie if you go over them too fast, the suspension compresses too far and the cat scratches the ground.

The cat seems to be made well and the flanges are straight. On the other hand I think the JJR item isn't very good quality. For starters the turbo end flange is poorly finished, and the angle that the end points at leads me to think it may have alignment issues. I had a custom catback made so it bolts up fine, but a stock exhaust (or any pre existing catback) may pose problems. The cat end of the dump pipe appears to point towards the ground slightly, further reducing ground clearance. Its not a lot, but the custom catback definitely had to be angled back up towards the car.

Edited by zoomzoom

JJR dump + 5 inch cat + stock catback is exactly what I have (for now) and everything fitted up fine. my front bar hits before anything else although I haven't tried vaulting any speed bumps yet :)

Thanks for the follow ups guys! Here's my exhaust puzzle:

• JJR bellmouth - bottom half has been recut/customised to run as close to the floor as possible
  • Venom 5" cat - bought without flanges, which were welded on at the exhaust shop for best alignment
  • HKS Super Drager cat back (R33 coupe model) - mid muffler replaced and moved further back for better clearance, most of the piping redone...

It's the frankenexhaust but at least it ) flows really well and is 2) tucked in properly (FINALLY).

Compared to Kinks' photo above my cat sits a bit higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Peeps, many people with praises of 5" body Venom cats, but from what I understand they only come in 100cpsi.

I'd prefer to get a 200cpsi version but they only do 4.5" body versions in that rating. Anyone had experience with those?

For reference, I'd be looking at 3" in/out, 4.5" body (450 series). Power wise < 300 rwkW.

Also, anyone heard of any issues with it not looking like a stock cat? I mean from avoiding yellow sticker perspective.

The 100cpsi ones can be purchased for less than 200cpsi ones. I paid $250 for a 100cpsi 5 inch cat. Would a 200cpsi cat pass an emissions test anyways? You might as well slap on a 400cpsi (or most dense one you can find) cat if you need to do emmisions.

The car does smell more like a car from the 80's, so as I mentioned above if you're really unlucky and some officer doesn't much care for the smell it may be a problem. Visually it is noticeable since its stainless steel, but it is nice and fat, so it does look like a legit cat. Bigger = more legit. lol

Thanks John. All good points, but I'd rather avoid the smell if I can. I read in another thread that one guy was looking to change to higher cell count because he was getting annoyed with the fuel smell. I suspect I'd feel the same way.

Is there much difference between 100 and 200 cpsi in terms of smell?

Also agree bigger would look more legit :)

I too use the 100 cell and really don't notice any difference in smell. I've had it on my car for 3 years. Best bit of gear. I took it off the other day to inspect the core and she still looks good. The only issue for me is a slight alignment between either the dump and cat or cat and exhaust. One or the other isn't sitting in the right spot.

Even if you went 200 cell, you will not pass emissions, especially on an aftermarket ECU, more boost and regular 98 fuel. Also to note, the ruling is you must have a cat installed. A deleted cat or gutted cat is illegal, but if you ran, just for the purpose of this example, a 50 cell cat, you are still running a functioning catalytic converter which is not up to standards. You will be defected but you will not receive a hefty fine for running no cat.

Edited by SargeRX8

Peeps, many people with praises of 5" body Venom cats, but from what I understand they only come in 100cpsi.

I'd prefer to get a 200cpsi version but they only do 4.5" body versions in that rating. Anyone had experience with those?

For reference, I'd be looking at 3" in/out, 4.5" body (450 series). Power wise < 300 rwkW.

Also, anyone heard of any issues with it not looking like a stock cat? I mean from avoiding yellow sticker perspective.

You can custom order a 200cpsi one in the 5" body, it may take longer as they might not have them on the shelf. Have a chat with George @ Venom.

Re legalities, apparently even injectors will prevent you from passing EPA. So the theory goes that if you have moderately built car it won't pass no matter what cat you're running.

Then there's the separate issue of penalty when running decat/without a cat (NZ style) - AFAIK a cat is a cat is a cat, irrespective of the cell count, however if someone knows otherwise please let us know.

Edited by V28VX37

As far as I am aware the cat needs to be at least 200 cell count to be legal in Australia, but that is only from speaking with local cat suppliers, including Magnaflow.

I keep 200 cell 5 inch 'legal' cats in stock. I have seen one run over 400kw on ethanol, so they flow well enough for most of us. If George can't help you out, you are welcome to send me a PM.

Thanks gents. Will get in touch with George @ Venom.

Point taken that there's no point worrying about legality between 200 or 100 cpsi given other mods won't pass anyway. Still have some minor concerns about getting annoyed by fuel smell. Will ask George.