SAU Community

Bolted On New Turbo And Car Drives Like Non Turbo

r34lyf

Oh boy. Another one of these threads.

My take on the situation aligns with Ben's.

The turbo is not spinning. It is a cheap shit turbo that you shouldn't have bought, but that's a problem you will have to sort out later.

Your vacuum lines sound like they are all messed up. There shouldn't be any interconnection between lines associated with the carbon canister and the boost sensor and the wastegate control. And certainly not power steering. Either you have described them wrong or there seems to be something wrong about the way they are set up. Either is not good, but the latter can lead to problems. Get it straightened out before proceeding.

If perchance the turbo IS spinning, then I place money on the wastegate being jammed open.

• Like 1

ahh okay.

as for the turbo outlet and the wastegate T's into a boost pressure solenoid and another hose comes from the solenoids top that goes nowhere atm i think its a bleed hose? maby it was hooked into the original frontmount pipe?

get a picture of that.

youve got it setup wrong if im reading that right.

the nipple on your cooler piping should go to the wastegate actuator.

completely disconnect the boost solenoid if its the factory one. (if its same as 33)

edit:im going of the info you have provided, not my hatred for chinese shit. is the turbo isnt spinning at all its dead.

be back with photos

Not really worth the trouble. Even with the boost controller hooked up wrong it will still make boost. It can't swing the wastegate open magically somehow.

Might as well show the photos so when you bolt your next turbo on you have correct boost control

Back! everything seems fine now the wastegate was jammed open im so happy

That's good. What about the oil restrictors and the bush bearing turbo? That's a bad combo.

And are you sure your boost control lines are plumbed correctly, or don't care cos car goes now ;)

ok im transferring pictures for the boost lines, yea that oil restrictor worries me now but it did seem to flow oil when i had the oil out pipe off when i first cranked the turbo without starting car

ok so i think the pipe that goes to nowhere is supposed to go into the turbo air intake between turbo and airflow meter, can i hurt the car not having it on? btw thats the boost pressure control solenoid pictured above this post

Edited by r34lyf

The carbon canister hose should go to the plenum via an ECU controlled solenoid (located at top rear of engine) that is only opened when the ECU says it can be opened. If it goes direct it's not right, but it's not going to cause any problems with the turbo etc. Something I would fix if it were mine though. Although.....that purge solenoid will only work with the factory ECU (or a Nistune thereof). Won't work with aftermarket ECUs unless carefully set up.

The wastegate plumbing is basically fine. The unconnected hose that is supposed to be connected back to the turbo intake is simply the vent. It works whether it's connected or not. It's just an emissions violation if it's hanging out in the breeze.

Edited by GTSBoy

Does that mean you have boost?

If you do - drive it very carefully. It's a somewhat larger turbo than the stocker, and the stock ECU will cause you problems if you boost it up. You will run into R&R which is where the higher load parts of the factory maps are deliberately "tuned" by the factory to give yo shit performance. And the ECU has a boost sensor connected to the crossover pipe near the BOV that will cause a very hard boost cut if you overdo it.