SAU Community

Fitting A New Lambda Sensor

Sydneykid

well I changed my o2 sensor and to be honest have not really noticed any change what so ever.

having said that I have not actually TESTED to see if it works.

Also in removing them .. using a small pry bar and a cut down 22mm spanner works a treat.

I just cut a slot (As suggested by others ) in a ring spanner.

the wiring they use on these sensors seems to be resisitant to solder- hence why they supply crimp connectors I think

Thanks for the tip on the 22mm spanner :) Not much room to swing it under there... think I managed to get nearish to the specified 40 foot pounds on it though. I just got a Bosch sensor for EL Falcon; $75 came in box with new sealing ring and pre-greased with some sort of anti seize compound. It has the same colour code wires. Just hope it works once I've crimped the wires; I'll run an ECU diagnostic and check for EGO sensor failure codes.

EDIT:

Well it would appear that Bosch EL Falcon EGO sensor into S2 Stagea (Neo) does go! I haven't checked ECU EGO fault codes yet (just to see if my wiring job is OK), but I just did a trip to Pirie and I've done 415.5 K's on this tank with a feather of the needle over 1/4 of a tank left, and that's with about 1/4 metro driving. So some sort of improvement somewhere, I've gained more than a 1/4 of a tank, I'll crack 500 this tank pretty certain.

Oh yeah, and Happy Easter! :)

Edited by DaveB

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the tip on the 22mm spanner :( Not much room to swing it under there... think I managed to get nearish to the specified 40 foot pounds on it though. I just got a Bosch sensor for EL Falcon; $75 came in box with new sealing ring and pre-greased with some sort of anti seize compound. It has the same colour code wires. Just hope it works once I've crimped the wires; I'll run an ECU diagnostic and check for EGO sensor failure codes.

EDIT:

Well it would appear that Bosch EL Falcon EGO sensor into S2 Stagea (Neo) does go! I haven't checked ECU EGO fault codes yet (just to see if my wiring job is OK), but I just did a trip to Pirie and I've done 415.5 K's on this tank with a feather of the needle over 1/4 of a tank left, and that's with about 1/4 metro driving. So some sort of improvement somewhere, I've gained more than a 1/4 of a tank, I'll crack 500 this tank pretty certain.

Oh yeah, and Happy Easter! :)

I just changed my oxygen sensor on the Stagea (Series 2).

Couldn't get the ACA ROX207 through Repco at the time (EL Falcon direct fitment) but an alternative is the following;

Champion part number COS733 (available through Repco). You need to cut the plug and I used a white "Narva' 3 pin connector (plugs in and out) to avoid any soldering of wires. Cost was about $90 retail.

NGK do not make a direct fitment for the Neo engine. The OEM Nissan one was going to be over $200 retail.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the O2 sensor on the M35 stagea is NARROW or WIDE band?

I have a Jaycar mixture meter i would like to put on the car to see how rich the car is running and when but it is only suitable for NARROW band sensors.

Cheers

Andy

Does anyone know if the O2 sensor on the M35 stagea is NARROW or WIDE band?

I have a Jaycar mixture meter i would like to put on the car to see how rich the car is running and when but it is only suitable for NARROW band sensors.

Cheers

Andy

I am sure it will be a narrow band. Good as some of the Jaycar stuff is I think you will find it not possible to get sufficient accuracy from a narrow band sensor for tuning purposes.

I am sure it will be a narrow band. Good as some of the Jaycar stuff is I think you will find it not possible to get sufficient accuracy from a narrow band sensor for tuning purposes.

I don't want it for tuning, I just want to get an idea of how it uses all the fuel? :P

• 1 year later...

Changed oxy sensor today. Wagon has just past 100k. Couldn't buy a direct replacement. Bought a Bosch LS04 Uni. Sensor costing $80.00. I removed old sensor and cut wires half way between plug and sensor. New sensor comes with wire joiners. Fitted and ran fine. Will see if any noticable economy change.

• 4 weeks later...

Little update on my previous post I have picked up a decent amount of economy since replacing the o2 sensor. Will pro aly exceed 400 k's before the light comes on.

• 2 months later...

mostly rb25 stuff here mate (not many 260rs's getting about)

rb25 only has one sensor, rb26 has 2

there is an o2 sensor thread in the main mechanical section somewhere and someone worked out what sensor you needed, but i forget what it was

changed my o2 sensor on the weekend to an el 6cyl bosch unit cut wire and soldered old plug on had a reistance of 2 to 3 ohms

old one had 5 to 6 ohms

took it for a drive did get a bit better economy but not really not noticeable

good to here other poeple are only getting out 450 km to a tank i thought something might have be wrong with my car

• 9 months later...

I've got an NTK sensor coming in the mail so thought I'd do a trial run removing the old one. Searched thru my shed and comfirmed I didn't have a long 22mm tube socket to butcher. I chopped the ring end off a spanner with the notion to ground a slot for the wire, got worried the thing might flare if it was really tight so beefed up the around the ring with a build up of 309 stainless rod (cut the slot after this), next welded a socket to the short handle left on the spanner - more good ol' 309 rod.

Meanwhile the sensor area had a soak in WD40, fitted up the spanner - this thing is good because it gets you back away from the firewall & abs pipes, medium length extension & a 1/2" drive rachet. The thing hardly put up a fight - like a tightish spark plug really.

I'm assuming the old one is factory & surprised it's a Bosch, partNo A24-A21139 72131

Here's the tool:

spanner001a.jpg

Edited by czeno

I've got an NTK sensor coming in the mail so thought I'd do a trial run removing the old one. Searched thru my shed and comfirmed I didn't have a long 22mm tube socket to butcher. I chopped the ring end off a spanner with the notion to ground a slot for the wire, got worried the thing might flare if it was really tight so beefed up the around the ring with a build up of 309 stainless rod (cut the slot after this), next welded a socket to the short handle left on the spanner - more good ol' 309 rod.

Meanwhile the sensor area had a soak in WD40, fitted up the spanner - this thing is good because it gets you back away from the firewall & abs pipes, medium length extension & a 1/2" drive rachet. The thing hardly put up a fight - like a tightish spark plug really.

I'm assuming the old one is factory & surprised it's a Bosch, partNo A24-A21139 72131

Here's the tool:

spanner001a.jpg

Good job! How much to make me one?

Good job! How much to make me one?

Ha, I'm down to one 22mm spanner now and not so sure I want to start a tool shop here, thanks for asking though. There in lies my failed businessman approach to life & working for the man.

It is my hope that I never use a 'shifter' on this magnificent final evolution of twentieth century automobile.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't remember needing to use a special tool to get mine out. Since the new one comes without plug, you have to cut the plug off your old one. So if you do that first, you can then get a ring spanner on to remove it.