SAU Community

Same Power

just curious as to what would win in a race, i no the 4wd would have more power at the engine but if they both had the same power and torque at the wheels, and traction would there really be a difference in a quarter mile time if both setups are identical? thanks guys.

im thinking he means like the GTS-4 vs GTS-T

with the same power and setups i would say the GTS-4 might win purly on a high rev launch will give it 99% traction all the way down the track

i think its clear that a car with the same power and same weight the 4wd would win but im guessing if you set up a rwd decent (even if you set the 4wd good aswell) it would be the same...

1st flaw is the R33 GTS-T is alot lighter than the GTS-4

2nd flaw R33 GTS-T cant use full boost or power to shoot off the line due to loss of traction

3rd flaw see above flaw :)

Ok i should of asked the question a bit better. Lets say we have a GTS4 and a GTST,

-both cars are modified to wiegh the same

-all gearbox and diff ratios are the same

-both cars are governed to 100hp at the wheels

-both use automatic, with lets say a 3500rpm converter

-both use slicks and dont wheelspin at all

just trying to say on paper if both cars are evenly matched is there and advantage using 4wd. Thanks for the response guys.

Ok i should of asked the question a bit better. Lets say we have a GTS4 and a GTST,

-both cars are modified to wiegh the same

-all gearbox and diff ratios are the same

-both cars are governed to 100hp at the wheels

-both use automatic, with lets say a 3500rpm converter

-both use slicks and dont wheelspin at all

just trying to say on paper if both cars are evenly matched is there and advantage using 4wd. Thanks for the response guys.

when u come back from fantasy land let us know :)

u sound like sum 1 talking parity from V8 super cars...

see when u say same this slicks that no wheel spin it just doesnt happen cause by that logic they will cross the line @ the same time if both have 100hp both auto both weigh same both u see were im heading there is no differances to make it a race

32 gts4 is turbo

33 isn't.

If all was equal, gts4 wins.

correct but mine has had a turbo fitted hence my profile <<

sorry to hijack...

what about a rolling start (so wheelspin and traction don't really play a part)?

say 2 cars, both of the same weight, and both of the same power at the wheels...but one is 2wd and the other is awd.

so: 180rwkw vs 180awkw for example...

obviously the awd car is making more power at the engine than the 2wd car. but after all drivetrain losses have been applied, both have the same power

should both cars then be equal? effectively neck and neck?

(this is all hypothetical of course - i'm just interested to hear ppls responses) :blink:

sorry to hijack...

what about a rolling start (so wheelspin and traction don't really play a part)?

say 2 cars, both of the same weight, and both of the same power at the wheels...but one is 2wd and the other is awd.

so: 180rwkw vs 180awkw for example...

obviously the awd car is making more power at the engine than the 2wd car. but after all drivetrain losses have been applied, both have the same power

should both cars then be equal? effectively neck and neck?

(this is all hypothetical of course - i'm just interested to hear ppls responses) :blink:

i blelieve tha AWD with 280 will beet the 2wd assuming its like a 2nd gear 60kph rolling start

if they're the same weight, same power at the wheels and same torque, then how is one going to be faster than the other?

but this is a stupid question anyway as you'll never have a rwd car and awd car the same weight/power/torque.

there is an advantage to 4wd. it's when twisties are involved...

same torque curve, same weight, same shape, full traction = same time.

What Duncan said.

Unless one of the two cars runs dramatically shorter gearing, there's going to be nothing in it from an ET perspective.

Once you rule out 2WD's weight and drivetrain loss benefits against the 4WDs grip advantage, you're going to have to start splitting hairs elsewhere...or the cars may as well be identical.

I would have hoped that this was so obvious that it went without saying, but evidently its not.......