SAU Community

Why Do People Install Boost Controllers With No Fmic

I'm looking to boost my 32 GTS-T up to 12psi, but will be running full turbo back 3" exhaust with split dump and high flow cat, as well as sports filter insert and R34 stock intercooler. I think that should be safe enough?

BOVs, free up airlfow to raise boost ????

LOL... anyways.

Johnny Cash, as per your thread, run those mods and you will be running that boost anyway. Trust me, If your car doesnt run 11-12psi with those mods, the quality of your intercooler/dump/filter are dodge, as without a dump pipe, adn with the std cat, mine ran 11psi.

Then with my AVCR i ran 14-15psi for about 20i25 track days. So thats 4-5 x 20min sessions per track day, i ran 15psi when it was cold or i had some toluene in the tank...so unless there is a fault you are pretty dafe running 12psi. My 2c if it dies at 14 psi it will have died at 12psi ...

yeah i raised my eyebrow a bit too... maybe he means the standard bov wont cop higher boost levels without lifting? dunno. I dont think that boosting up to 10-12 psi without a fmic is really that big of an issue. but I personally wouldn't do 12psi without a PFC so I could monitor knock etc.

The R34 SMIC can actually handle these higher pressures so there's no real drama in turning up the boost there.

will the 33's intercooler not handle 12 psi of boost?

stock rb20 has about 10psi.

good turbo back exhaust and free flowing intake will take it to about 11.5 psi anyway.

my old one did.

rb25's can't go over like 9.5 psi using stock ecu properly anyway...

so they can go from 7psi to 9.5 psi.

rb's can go from 10-12 psi.

I wouldnt bother with a FMIC on a street or drag only car for someone who has put the boost up 2-3 psi over stock.

also, some people put boost controllers on to make their cars spool up faster.

they keep the wastegate shut for longer therefore turbo comes on boost quicker.

so yeh.. I don't think that you are right in saying its STUPID to run more boost without fmic

Its funny how I always see skylines for sale that are boosted with no FMICs...

It seems that most people don't care and just boost the living daylights out of their car for performance with a stock SMIC...

That is so dodgey... :starwars:

Who Agrees that its stupid...?

Boosting the rb25 a little bit, say to 10psi with out a front mount is fine, you get more power especially under 4500rpm where you'll be on 10psi rather than the factory 5psi. On a really hot day sometimes it feels like it needs a FMIC! but really 10psi is not going to hurt the car.

Its funny how I always see skylines for sale that are boosted with no FMICs...

It seems that most people don't care and just boost the living daylights out of their car for performance with a stock SMIC...

That is so dodgey... :starwars:

Who Agrees that its stupid...?

its actuallly quite obvious why most people do it..

cars cost 15k+

unless you're james packer, that doesn't leave much $$ for mods

so when people see the options of FMIC for $1000, and boost controller for $100 its easy to just chose the simple option where they will get a higher power increase

at the end of the day... money talks

Hmm.. strange question..

anyways - because

a) it removes the stock boost solenoid

b) turbo spools up quicker

c) you car raise the boost slightly 5/8psi - 9/10..

d) why the hell not.. who says you need to hack your car to put a FMIC to install a boost controller..

what happened to your car joni?

I think there is a large grey area here were you can boost your car slightly without to much drama if you take it easy on hot days(common sense). You won't necessarily hurt the car but it is far from an ideal setup. It is a compremise more people are willing to make than spend the money on an intercooler although with proven kits to be had for 500 delivered that a teenager can fit in his back yard these days i can't see any reason for not having one.

And i fail to see (even with the soloniod out of the picture) how an increse in boost will make the turbo spool any quicker? it will just continue on its normal ramp but to a higher setting

lol i love this thread try stock r33 with pod and 1bar!! lmao it not funny my friend actually did it and was wondering why it wouldnt hold boost!! he evently put a cat back on it went better and the he went to the dark side and bought a s15! lol

I fail to see (even with the soloniod out of the picture) how an increse in boost will make the turbo spool any quicker? it will just continue on its normal ramp but to a higher setting

Not necessarily... some types of boost controller are better for allowing the turbo to produce more boost earlier in its curve. They actually control boost better than the stock solenoid. So it's not really the increase in boost that does it, it's more of a "side effect" of the new boost control. That's my understanding anyway.

Edited by jezzerrr

also, some people put boost controllers on to make their cars spool up faster.

they keep the wastegate shut for longer therefore turbo comes on boost quicker.

This is the exact reason I installed an electronic boost controller. The difference is very noticable.

makes fist gear completly worthless, and every other gear gets a little more interesting. Doesn't hurt that the stock rb20 turbo is a little spool monstor to begin with.

it's like some people don't even rad other replies before they post.

an rb25 using stock computer can't boost up to 1 bar. it will hit many issues.

1.) ecu will run really rich and retard timing causing a dip in power and like said above, not hold boost.

2.) all the extra boost will blow out the spark of the spark plugs causing the engine to miss and make it slower than a car running under 10 psi boost.

unless you are using the car for circuit racing where you are constantly on full throttle and back off for short time, the stock side mount will cope fine with 2-3 psi exta.. on the street where you accelerate to 60 or 100, will be on the throttle for about 8 seconds at most... then you cruise.. the side mount gets heat soaked then cools as you cruise off boost.

drag racing..

you are on the trottle for 15 seconds or less. then you wait for like 40 minutes before next one with your car off.. so it's cool again..

and I already explained how a boost controller helps spool the turbo up faster above.