SAU Community

Painting and Powder coating rocker covers

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me, isn’t 2pack what most normal OEM paint is? I want to paint my cam covers in a color that comes on a Subaru, but don’t know if it would take the heat of the engine bay? Does a hardener or special type of clear coat need to be used?

Any help would be appreciated

- M

Anybody had experiences with VHT Wrinkle Plus?

Seen some pics with that on a holden rocker cover and it looks pretty schmick.

They came like that from the factory. :)

GeeTR, when painting engine parts, the main consideration is how much heat the items will be exposed to.

If you use clear coat on something which is exposed to prolonged heat, the clear coat can become discoloured (yellowish-brown) and may start to bubble/flake/peel.

My engines:

When I started painting parts in the engine bay of my first 31, there wasn't much of a range in hi-temp paint colours, and I learned the hard way that there can be a fair bit of colour variation in the hi-temp paints.

I used "Lively Lavender", and over the span of the project I used 2 different cans of paint, which is quite visible in photos.

If you need to paint lots of stuff, or need to do a few coats to get the colour you require, I'd recommend using one can for the first layer/s and a different can for the final colour, so that any colour variation in the finished product doesn't stick out like dogs nuts.

The back half of the rocker cover and the engine lifting loop things (one at rear, one in front) are visibly darker.

107_0726.jpg

Fortunately there's a much bigger range of colours (and textures) available now. :happy:

The new project is getting more sedate colours used on it, so I've gone with Ford "Blaze Blue".

The blue is not hi-temp, just regular duco paint.

It's not as "WHOA!" as the lavender, but it still looks pretty.

(I really should take some more pics, this photo was taken in full sun and the colour looks very washed out)

The part showing at the back is more representative of the actual colour.

rockercoveron.jpg

There was no primer used in either of these projects, just good preparation of the surfaces prior to painting.

All paint has held up fine, no discolouration, no peeling.

GeeTR, when painting engine parts, the main consideration is how much heat the items will be exposed to.

If you use clear coat on something which is exposed to prolonged heat, the clear coat can become discolored (yellowish-brown) and may start to bubble/flake/peel.

Yup, that’s what i figured, hence i asked if any one had experience using normal 2pack paint on cam covers, and issues with heat around the exhaust side.

People color match body to other parts all the time, cam covers, inlets, what ever, i was wondering if its literally the SAME paint as used on the outside body, or if they are mixing something with it to make it more robust.. or using a different clear

Cheers all

i'm getting mine done for my 32 done @ the moment and if i hadn't done some of the prep work it would have cost me 300 instead it will be about half that the color is in BA blood orange and thats in 2pak and i'm looking @ going with the same color for my 32 aswell!!

Here's a pic of the duplicolor red > cam covers, apexi pod adapters, and a few other bits. Also did the OEM strut brace - no more faded red (yay). nice chrome strut brace would be nicer but hey - gotta work with what you've got.

Just the coil pack cover to come and then I'll bolt it back on. knowing me I will scratch the sh!t out of them putting it back on and have to start again >_<

Cheers,

Tay

did you use a primer under the metal cast gray base coat?

nope - but i degreased, sanded and prepsoled before applying the base coat.

just make sure you apply an even coat (sufficently thick) of the undercoat as any dark areas (i.e. where you can see some black showing through) will be obvious when you apply the colour.

nope - but i degreased, sanded and prepsoled before applying the base coat.

just make sure you apply an even coat (sufficently thick) of the undercoat as any dark areas (i.e. where you can see some black showing through) will be obvious when you apply the colour.

cheers

the front cam cover i am going to prime anyway, too many scratches on it, was just doubel checking as alot of these engine components actually are textured and i want them smooth.

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

hi all well im looking at painting my engine covers to tidy up the engine bay a bit,

jus t no sur e what colour/colours?

so far ive only come up with the ford xr purple as i really like this colour..

my gtr is gunmetal grey so what yous think? also could people post pics of there bays so i could get a few ideas

cheers kane

I just got the rocker covers and cross over pipe polished and the plastic strip sprayed blue. Just wanna know how u guys reckon i should put the nissan badge back on? double sided tape was what it had but thats the good tape from the factory, the double sided tape i got is piss weak.... glue maybe? or the tape will be enough?

I just got the rocker covers and cross over pipe polished and the plastic strip sprayed blue. Just wanna know how u guys reckon i should put the nissan badge back on? double sided tape was what it had but thats the good tape from the factory, the double sided tape i got is piss weak.... glue maybe? or the tape will be enough?

how much this cost you

i did my engine bay in purple pearl and all engine covers in ford blueprint blue. the engine goes in this weekend so ill upload pics of it complete, but heres some pics of the engine bay and engine by themselves.

engine4jt8.th.jpgenginebay1tc8.th.jpgenginebay6mt7.th.jpg

post-28112-1166080105.jpg

It was $225 for the cross over pipe, both rocker covers and the top intercooler pipe. $25 for the intercooler pipe so i thought i may aswell get the whole lot done so it was all polished the same even though the intercooler pipe was already chrome but it brightened it up a bit.

heres pics of my bay just been sprayed last week nearly finished piecing it back together it's a orange base with a orange metalic and green pearl looks really cool in the son with the whole car changing color in the next few months just need to save for the bodykit going with an origin kit.

post-20540-1166082559.jpg

trying to figure out what colour to paint mine...

I reckon R34 purple would be nice, but like millenium jade too...

also, does anyone have the part numbers for hte cam cover seals for RB26? the ones on my set are crapped out and have silicon all over them...

Thanks!