SAU Community

32 Gtr V Spec

Please inform me of the differences between a normal 32 GTR and the V Spec Models

AFAIK - the V spec (from memory, which is bad) had something slightly different concerning the sump perhaps and maybe the diffs?

Victory Spec is all I remember :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at importing a 93-94 GTR and have considered getting a V Spec simply because I know there is less of them and therefore the resale may not be so shithouse. (not that I plan to sell).

There's a sticky thread up the top of this forum titled "Skyline Specifications: From The 1955 Skyline ALSIS To The 1999 Skyline R34 GT-R N1"

Check it out :)

The above mentioned thread has now been cleaned out (3 pages of THE LINK DOESN'T WORK!) and moved into the FAQ section, with a link being placed into the 'new to the skyline scene?' thread.

DOH!

not just dead links, NASTY dead links.

I have no idea what happened to my browser when I clicked on one of those things...

Cleaning the thread up now, you can still find what you're afer in this thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=18508

or here:

http://www.motortraders.net/imports/select...p;model=Skyline

riiiiiiiiiiiiight....

that page tells me that the v spec weighs 20kg more, has 17" wheels, has a bigger turning circle, grew 1.5cm in exterior height and somehow lost a metre of interior length lol

Edited by Boostkid

changes are

bbs rims to accomodate brembos

brembos front and rear

different spec ATTESSA 4wd system (faster and more agressive)

under car bracing

different suspension settings , much firmer and slightly lower

from experiencing my 33 vspec vs the normal 32 gtrs the brembos are well worth it , i found the 32s a bit under braked particularly if rotors are getting on a bitu

changes are

bbs rims to accomodate brembos

brembos front and rear

different spec ATTESSA 4wd system (faster and more agressive)

under car bracing

different suspension settings , much firmer and slightly lower

from experiencing my 33 vspec vs the normal 32 gtrs the brembos are well worth it , i found the 32s a bit under braked particularly if rotors are getting on a bitu

THANKYOU.

and yes, what were you doing in the 32? haha.

thanks for clearing that up though mate :(

just some spirited test drives

the std 32 gtr brakes are basically same size as 33 gtst brakes

and a 32gtr sure goes a hell alot quicker so def room for improvement there

imo the money asked for the 32vspecs is not worth it . min 30k for a nice example . you could easily add brakes and suspension for the price difference to basically come up to vspec std and have lots of money left for some mods/tidy up

and the vspec rims are 16inch also

I am sure the V Spec 32 rims are 17 inch.

For any nice tidy 32 gtr will you will probably pay 25-30 ( just be careful to buy a good one).

I personaly think if you can get a tidy v spec for 30-35k that would the way to go as it is a bit more unique then a standard 32 and does come with a few extras.

To this day I think the R32 VSPEC 2 is one of the rarer modern day skylines.

I am sure the BBS rims are 17s also.

It is a surprise to read you felt the car was underbraked. I have reasonably good tyres on the car and the brakes outperform the tyres everytime. I'll need better shoes before I spend any money on brakes. That said, I have good pads, new discs, and braided fittings. When I first drove the car the brakes were awful but no complaints now.

As far as ATTESSA goes, the V-Spec cars apparently use the same ATTESSA computer as the R33 GTR. I can't remember specifics but the R33 computer updates around ten times more frequently, or something like that.

Dude I'd re-examine why you are buying a GTR. Are you *trying* to buy an investment? Or are you buying a car that is relatively cheap performance? The performance difference between standard and V-Spec models does not justify the price tag, imo.

17"s

gallery_14114_569_7896.jpg

i stand corrected definetly 17s

the 32s dont brake poorly , just no where near as good as the brembo equiped gtrs . id prefer the extra security of the bigger brakes especially if you mod the 32 a bit , then i do think its a bit underbraked compared to how quick it is

the vspec attessa computer is faster and has slightly different settings in terms of level of torque transfer per gforce sensor reading , sort of thing also . the 33 vspec has this faster computer and settings but the 33 std doesnt . i was under the impression that 32 and 33 vspec only were both the upgraded attessa

35k i think is just a bit too high for a 32 gtr . i have seen very low k series III 98 r33 gtrs for that sort of money .

sure in 20 years the vspec may be more collectable , but given time any gtr will be collectable and the 33 sIII will be alot nicer and more relible to drive in the mean time

Edited by arkon

The Brakes on an R32 GTR are probably its weakest link.

Even from my Track day around Barbagello they felt as though they only slow you down rather than stop you.

The GTRs ran the 296mm 4 pot Nissan calipers as this was all that would fit behind the standard 16" rims, which were required to be fitted for Group A regulations.

Once the Group A rules were relaxed a little the V Spec came out with the 17s so as to accomodate the Brembos

• 3 weeks later...

I am buying the GTR for a daily driver. It will probably see a week or more out of a tank of fuel (current tank last almost 2 weeks) as I live about 4mins drive to work (from stop to stop) and I don't tend to do much extra driving (work 6 days a week, 3pm to midnight or later, like to spend sunday's at home).

However, I plan to participate in the Queensland Raceway Sprints and some other track days every now and then when time / money permits.

Earn 1k a week after tax.

Wanted a V Spec simply because I thought it would be better for track days. (and so I can go "yer it's a v spec :) " )

Edited by Boostkid

I bought a R32 1994 V SpecII back in 2003 off an old guy how had owned it here in Australia for 3 years. This means that the car was only in Japan for 6 years. He had a full service history with AVO here in Australia. To date I have never hade a problem with the car . The car is very reliable and I have heard from some 1989 GTR owners they have had trouble from the day they picked it up. I for one am glad I spent the extra money and got a good car.

Jason.

Edited by GTR_VSpecII

Surely you guys don't believe your own propaganda? It all comes down to suspension alignment, rubber and brake pads. The Sumitomo calipers will brake as well as the Brembos, all other elements being equal, until heat soak is an issue and then the larger discs and calipers will have an advantage due to thermal capacity. Not one experienced racer or race engineer will disagree that the Sumitomos have sufficient braking capacity until you exceed semis running multi lap races at full noise constantly and only a few are doing that. My track GTS25t (Sumitomos no ABS) brakes much better than the GTR33 with Brembos and ABS because of better pads and alignment not to mention more work on the other areas of the brakes like braided lines and a big beefy custom master stopper. These will come soon on the GTR but until pads need replacing the useless lumps in there will remain.

As for active diffs, those that know state there is no benefit either way until you need to tighten or rebuild, and then the active is at a distinct disadvantage in terms of cost and complexity whilst the standard diff is a loosely setup 2-way.

V-spec, Brembos aside = con for more bucks on R32 and the price difference is more than a set of Brembos and Wheels to suit.

Read on...

Car & Driver did a test a few years ago ...Test Car was a WRX (US Spec which only uses two piston sliding caliper, not as good as Nissan 4 spot or later Model WRX 4 pots)

So tested kits were, std car, std car with upgraded pads and fluid, Brembo F50 Kit, Brembo Lotus Kit (Similar to as fitted to GTRs, 44/38mm pistons), Stoptech it and Prodrive Kit (Alcon)

Stopping Distances 70mph - 0 , 3 Stop

Brembo F50;_____________ 185 / 183 (Average / Best)

Brembo Lotus; ______________ 200 / 196

Prodrive; __________________ 198 / 194

StopTech;__________________ 187 / 186

Stock; ____________________ 205 / 196

Stck with pads and fluid; ____187 / 184

The above figures are all in feet, one stop difference between pad and fluid upgrade to crappy sliding caliper brake setup and massive Brembos is 1 ft...lol 30cms:( And over 3 stops the average is 2 ft...lol 60cms:)

So you can see the one stop max of the upgraded pads and fluid is damn good when you consider the $$$ to % difference.

Stopping Distances 100mph - 0 , 25 Stop

Brembo F50; _____________ 299 / 288 (Average / Best)

Brembo Lotus; ______________305 / 294

Prodrive; __________________ 308 / 295

StopTech;__________________ 297 / 290

Stock;_____________________ 340/317

Stck with pads and fluid;_____316/299

Not the world of difference you would be led to believe by the "you need 6pot caliper 343mm rotor crowd."

Specs of the kits:

Rotor Weight (pounds) Size in inches (diam / thk)

Brembo F50;.................15.8......................... .13.1 / 1.3

Brembo Lotus;..............12.9.......................... 12.9 / 1.1

Prodrive;......................16.5...........................13.0 / 1.1

StopTech;...................13.9..........................12.9 / 1.1

Stock;.................. ......14.2..........................11.6 / 0.9

Caliper Weight , Piston Size, (mm)

Brembo F50;..........8.6 pounds...........40 / 44, Leading / Trailing

Brembo Lotus;.......6.8.......................36 / 40

Prodrive;...............9.1..................... 34.9 / 41.3

StopTech;.............9.3.....................36 / 40

Stock;.................10.8.................. .43 / 43

...and COST!!!

Brembo F50;.......................US$2,995

Brembo Lotus;.....................US$2,595

Prodrive;.............................US$1,999

StopTech;...........................US$1,695

Stock with pads & fluid;....... US$130

That is one of the most telling articles i have ever read :rofl:

That said, it doesnt allow for things such as even pad wear, or feel in the pedal. But feck, i will live with slightly poorer pad wear, a caliper that deflects a little bit more and perhaps a tad less pedal feel for the huge dollar saving and having to brake 60cms earlier :(

...oh, and PSI_GTSII. Are you sure about that brake Grp A wheel size thing? Perhaps in Production Car Racing, Group E locally (I think) or the Super Takyadayadayads aseries in Japan. But by Grp A regs they didnt have to run the std brakes or wheel sizes.