SAU Community

Classic Skyline Register

rsx84

Hey, Matty.

What was the reason for going to the stagea calipers and bigger discs? did the standard DR30 gear suck that badly, or was it just marginal with your power output? I'm considering a stud pattern change to the RX (to suit a proposed S3 rear end) and have access to a pair of DR30 front struts pretty cheap. If the brakes are pretty ordinary (running about 140RWHP atm) then might reconsider whether there's any benefit (running Volvo 4 spots at the front and they work ok)

Also, to fit the Bilsteins, I assume you have grafted new tubes tot he struts. Did you use the Commodore tubes, or have you used something custom? I gather the coilover hardware is bigger than the 2" sleeves that go over Datsun struts.

Cheers

Don't get me wrong - the DR30 stuff is perfectly good. The (main) problem that I had was that I couldn't get enough rear bias with the factory setup. The fronts wanted to lock up and you would spear off the road. The Commodore rears gave me enough rear bias - so much so that it enabled me to put bigger calipers on the front. The pad area of the single piston DR (front) calipers is pretty big - the Stagea stuff is just bigger again. The DR rear pads are tiny things...

I did have a problem with brake fade with the DR stuff, but again, I think it was related to the rear. They would get very hot, the pedal would go "long" and there would be a change in the the bias. That meant that you never had any real confidence in the brakes over any great distance. 15 kms was about where it would really start.

I haven't had any problems with the existing setup. Good pedal even in 40+ km stages - in fact, once they get some heat in them, they just get better.

On tar, you probably wouldn't have the bias issues that I did.

I took it to Wakefield once (on the old brakes) and gave the brakes an absolute smashing. The car pulled up consistently, every single time. Afterwards though, the rear discs were blue and the fronts had cracked...

As for my strut setup, see post #32 in this thread.

Hope this helps! :nyaanyaa:

Thanks Matty - top info :(

Aah now I remember - the Hills Hoist struts :rofl: I remember reading about them.

I think that my suspension dude has some suitable tube left over from when he was contemplating a bid to supply the formula suspension for some series or another. (can't remember which it was - V8 holdens and / or fords IIRC)

I've got a R30 Ti Hatch, '84 model. It's bronze with 135,000 orig kms. Full service history, orig books, I'm the 2nd owner. Four speed auto, (unfortunately). Stock as a rock except for stainless exhaust & turbo muffler, tinted windows & new speakers. Has all the fruit except for a sunroof. has anyone ever retrofitted an original one?

I've got a R30 Ti Hatch, '84 model. It's bronze with 135,000 orig kms. Full service history, orig books, I'm the 2nd owner. Four speed auto, (unfortunately). Stock as a rock except for stainless exhaust & turbo muffler, tinted windows & new speakers. Has all the fruit except for a sunroof. has anyone ever retrofitted an original one?

Hey Cam, I had an RMR30Ti like yours since new. Unfortunately it only did 600K before it wore out this year. Bugger. So I got an R30 to replace it. She has only done 380K so is nearly run in. At 135k, yours will last FOREVER.

Cheers and beers. Hugh.

Heyas :banana: Only got ours a couple of months ago and it's currently pretty standard...

YEAR: 9/9 1993

MODEL: R33 GTS-T

BODY TYPE: Coupe

COLOUR: Black

MODS: Sports tuff clutch, and cat back, and 17's that need replacing quickly! :)

ourskylineed2.th.jpg

Heyas :) Only got ours a couple of months ago and it's currently pretty standard...

YEAR: 9/9 1993

MODEL: R33 GTS-T

BODY TYPE: Coupe

COLOUR: Black

MODS: Sports tuff clutch, and cat back, and 17's that need replacing quickly! :)

ourskylineed2.th.jpg

don't take this the wrong way but your R33 is not quite a "classic skyline" yet give it a few more years :P

don't take this the wrong way but your R33 is not quite a "classic skyline" yet give it a few more years :domokun:

Haha saw some 1990's so thought I might as well post as well :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey all, been a member on here for awhile but not in the classic section..

ive got 4 skylines

year 1983

model dr30 rs

body coupe

colour red

year 1989

model s3 r31 silhoette gts2 no. 183

body sedan

colour red (ofcoarse)

year 1990

model s3 r31 gxe

body wagon

colour burgendy

year 1990

model s3 r31 ti

body sedan

colour stormy glow

jon.

• 2 weeks later...

hey im a newbie on the skyline australia sit.

i have 3 passages. :laugh:

two white one black two are projects one is my weekend driver and quater mile car.

still has a few mods to do before it hits the track again.

• 1 month later...

YEAR: 1990

MODEL: R31 Skyline S3 RB30E

BODY TYPE: Sedan

COLOUR: Silver

MODS:

Genie Extractors, 2 inch lukey exhaust

2 inch lowered springs

Silo Interior (well most of it, I'm still missing some little trim bits)

Almost a complete stereo system (MP3 deck, splits, speakers, sub etc) once I finish installing.

I've got to say I don't really call my R31 a classic, not when I sit it next to my zed or my hot rod but hey its all perspective is it not.

And as someone said L series engines never die, they just get noiser.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

skyline 1988 gts-x

RB25DET NEO

fmic

air filter

3" exhaust

microtech

increased boost

just over 200rwkw tho i have a print out from APC for 243.2 rwkw - which i think they have fudged cuz i dont thinkg its possible with stock turbo and injectors...

car has tein custom coils on 16" x 8.5 watanabe rims -- i love her so much :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Year: 1987

Model: HR31 GTS

Body Type: Coupe

Colour: White

Year: 1982

Model: R30

Body Type: Hatch

Colour: Copper

Edited by guska

• 2 weeks later...