SAU Community

The Garrett Gt30r Thread - Lots Of Info And Q's

The Mafia

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case you never get to see one the HKS GT3037 52T turbo has this on its ID tag .

700382-10 which cross references to CHRA or cartridge number 700177-6 or -0006 or -5006 .

The magic BCI-18C or 76.2mm 52 trim GT37 compressor option that can't be had as cheaply as a Garrett GT3076R 56T . Stupid really , so much more money for a 2mm smaller inducer compressor - but thats marketing forces for you .

Hats off once again, Sir.

That is the cartridge spec that I was trying (none too successfully) to recommend. And you have photos!! :rofl:

If it is a HKS-only spec, then sorry Mafia, the 56T is the one that economics dictates should be used. If HKS are using it, then I feel a little justified in believing the 52T was going to be just that bit better. As always you can get pretty much what you want, but there is a price attached...

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Car is running with a rough tune in it with the 56T .63 GT3076R, so far so good - less "laggy" on the road than I expected.... I can definitely live with what it feels like so far only using it with low throttle openings etc.

In 5th gear at 100kph, leaning on it ever so slightly can push it towards positive pressure.

Hi Guys,

just thought I'd update my thread.

After getting 243rwkw with this turbo, I set out to achieve a little more because there were a heap of spots that were hitting around the 11.1:1 mark. After leaning them to 11.9:1 or 12:1 I noticed quite a bit of difference. The car pulled a lot harder. I reckon I would have scavenged another 7rwkw making it 250rwkw easily.

Also, after a good inspection of the dyno graph, I can put a ruler along the power curve and see that its almost straight. Something that impresses me.

The means that even though the turbo is taking a while to spool (about 3800rpm) it seems to be pushing a lot of air into the motor at low shaft RPM and keeping volume of flow nice and high anyway. (I've managed to get it to come on a little earlier - fixed with some increases in low end timing)

I guess the power curve being nearly straight proves this?

Anyway, after a few long chats with Rob Stafford, he's explained that the turbo isn't bad at all, but only limited in power due to the smaller turbine and trim. This causes it to max out at around 260rwkw - 270rwkw at about 24psi of boost. Rob also confirmed the fact that even though this turbo takes a little longer to spool due to needing a lot of shaft torque, its made up for because the 7 blade wheel grabs and pushes a lot more air than the 6 blade.

BUT Rob also said that the .63 exhaust housing will ONLY let the engine breathe to 400hp. Meaning 298kw - take 50kw for drivetrain - meaning about 250rwkw.

So if you are after more than 250rwkw, then you NEED to go a bigger exhaust housing. (.8x)

I will admit, I jumped the gun saying that the turbo wasn't that good - but it actually is pretty good. Its doing exactly what it was setup for - 250rwkw, it pulls very hard for 3,000rpm, and the power curve is dead straight. Which is usually exactly what you want right?

I'll post the dyno graph up to show this.

Hopefully It will prove that they aren't as bad as everyone thinks. I guess its a case of been there done that right?

I've learnt a hell of a lot in the past few weeks.

Edited by The Mafia

Is having a nice straight power curve a good thing though?

I know I'd rather have a nice lump in the mid range, pushes average power up increasing acceleration.

Its probably not worth wasting the money on unless u were to sell your turbo setup and start again with a turbo thats a little more responsive and provides more urge through the mid.

Is having a nice straight power curve a good thing though?

I know I'd rather have a nice lump in the mid range, pushes average power up increasing acceleration.

Its probably not worth wasting the money on unless u were to sell your turbo setup and start again with a turbo thats a little more responsive and provides more urge through the mid.

I thought a nice straight powercuve meant consistant power?

It does - under full load.

Consistent/accessible power under on/off throttle (ie. transient response) is where it becomes a little more difficult to quantify with a dyno curve.

I'd be interested to see a readout with the torque curve and boost curve, rather than the power curve to be honest. That would tell much more than a power curve IMO.

The LM-1 is starting to show its influence on the tune now too?

It does - under full load.

Consistent/accessible power under on/off throttle (ie. transient response) is where it becomes a little more difficult to quantify with a dyno curve.

I'd be interested to see a readout with the torque curve and boost curve, rather than the power curve to be honest. That would tell much more than a power curve IMO.

The LM-1 is starting to show its influence on the tune now too?

yeah the LM1 makes a hell of a difference when you have the time to tune etc. I've managed to make this turbo very desirable in the past few weeks, and now I'm taking it off to go bigger :D

But power is nice and smooth, comes on really well, has excellent amounts of top end. As I said, the only problem being the smaller exhaust housing creating a bit of a restriction - but hey, thats all a .63 housing is good for; 250rwkw.

I had my rb25 tuned with a gt3076r 0.82 housing & the tuner had to keep it safe as i can only run 95oct fuel down in tassy cause the 98 is crap! so its a safe tune and it pulled 260rwkw on 16psi with 450nm. this thing pulls bloody hard for 16psi all the way to redline. He said with good fuel we could wind the boost up over 20psi which would produce some good figures! will try and post the dyno sheet.

Edited by al_r33

Hi Mafia , yes there is a lot of truth in what Bob says and its significant that you are tuning the thing closer to what it needs to run well .

Personally I think an all GT wheel turbo can do it better particularly in a native GT style turbine housing .

With the turbine your turbo has the largest T3 flanged IW turbine housing available is the .87AR HKS GT Pro S type . I don't remember which turbine housing you have ie RB25 or VG30 but the larger one could be an option if you are not already using it . Its logical to expect it to lose some response but that will depend on how high the turbine inlet pressure is ATM .

At planet Potato we believe anything that can be done to reduce turbine inlet pressure is a huge bonus . We also believe that compressors with lower energy requirements are the go . Turbocharger rotating assemblies that idle or "windmill" faster give the best transients or rapid accelerations when we're "on the floor" so to speak .

I guess the tough decision you have to make is do you spend the dough on another turbo or tune what you have and live with it . Others seem to be rising to the task in this are so you could sit back and wait for their results/opinions .

I am fighting the urge to buy/build a 52 trim GT3076R/GT3037 ATM but will cost it out anyway . So depending on the best cut throat price for the HKS unit or a "built" equal we shall see . Maybe if there is enough interest and people brave enough to put up the dough a group buy could help through economies of scale . I think I have a map for the combination though not a Garrett one , I seem to remembering it hitting the wall at around 40 lbs airflow so a conservative 400 Hp/440 pushing is probably its limit . I should ask Brett if the bush type GT30 turbine is available and if it can be made to fit his XTR type RB high flow cartridges with the 76mm 52T GT compressor . Just a thought .

Cheers A .

Hi Mafia , yes there is a lot of truth in what Bob says and its significant that you are tuning the thing closer to what it needs to run well .

Personally I think an all GT wheel turbo can do it better particularly in a native GT style turbine housing .

With the turbine your turbo has the largest T3 flanged IW turbine housing available is the .87AR HKS GT Pro S type . I don't remember which turbine housing you have ie RB25 or VG30 but the larger one could be an option if you are not already using it . Its logical to expect it to lose some response but that will depend on how high the turbine inlet pressure is ATM .

With spot-on tuning, I feel his existing combination can be made to work satisfactorily, and even produce the power to throw an R33 down the drag strip at very tidy speeds. The torque curve (what curve?? - it's like a table from 3000 - 6000rpm) means that on the boil he has a car that is controllable and predictable, and smile inducing.

In many respects the 2.5 litre engine capacity is a stumbling block for the combination, with a RB30 likely to be the best base for Mafia's existing GT30. A couple of plots on the TO4S flow maps tend to support that. Given that his engine plans involve some RB26 rods and forged slugs, I think the 700177-5007 cartridge based 3076 is going to deliver better results with quicker engine response for the smaller swept volume of an RB25.

That's the good thing about engineering; you can use many different means to get to an end result.

to be honest, I am quite happy with my results. I've fixed my afr's since this dyno plot and the car feels heaps better.

here are the dyno plots

The Powercurve is pretty fat in the mid range, that tiny little dip due to me missing a spot in the afrs causing a minute bit of torque loss; but fixed now, and feeling a lot stronger in that spot.

Thats why I wanted the AFR's plotted, so I could filter out little gremlins like this.

There is one thing wrong though - The dyno operator said the plot is slightly incorrect about the peak power - he said it should read peak power at 6800rpm, not 6400rpm like the plot shows.

I'm also impressed at how well the boost holds, with a $22 bleed valve.

post-7271-1164993188.jpg

post-7271-1164993198.jpg

Edited by The Mafia

post-33222-1165029310.jpgpost-33222-1165029310.jpgpost-33222-1165029310.jpgI have a 3540 on rb20.......i made a huge mistake when setting up the engine but this turbo was recomended to me by someone who should of known better and because i went with it and spend shit loads on external gate and custom high mount manifold and dunp, no longer holds their job.

So anyway this setup is for sale with or with out s/s exhaust. Obviously exhaust only good for R32 RB25.

Otherwise this setup is perfect for R33 and has only doe 5000kms max since dyno and fist fitment.

For sale :

Garrett gt3540

Tial 38mm external

s/s highmount manifold

s/s custom dunmp with belllows

intake pipe from afm to turbo comp 80mm to 100mm

Make an offer!!!

Ryan

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
All of garretts internal gate housings are now available off the shelf from Garrett with a larger internal gate.

The additional cost is ~$100 for the upgraded wastegate.

Just installed one of these .82a/r IG housings on my GT3076R, its awesome :happy: Initial tests show it to hit and hold 13psi SOLID from around 3500rpm all the way through 4th. Going to have it on the dyno on Thursday for a proper tune.

hahah awesome stuff Lithium..

Tighten up that actuator rod. 18pound dont be weak!!! :D

Haha will do that on the dyno (maybe not to 18psi though haha)

Thanks HEAPS for all your help! I'd still be trying to find a way to solve my boost creep issue if it weren't for you :wave:

Just reading through this topic as Ive recently purchased and installed a GT30/40R. It has a Garrett 0.7 a/r compressor cover 4" inlet 2" outlet, 6 blade compressor, T28( narrowing adaptor from stock manifold) 0.86 internal wastegate housing. Going by what I have read here is this a poor combination to be running? I have it installed on an R33 GTST RB25. I was hoping to make 280KW on the dyno. I already have the following mods:

full exhaust GTR intercooler

split dump pod filter

splitfires adjustable exhaust cam gear

plus 660 cc injectors Q45 AFM Greddy emanage ultimate to install this week. Dyno tune nexst week.

Reading this has put some doubt as to if I have the turbo for my needs here...

• 2 months later...

Can someone shed some light on the differences between the Gt3076 comp cover?

.7 and .6

I have just picked up a GT3076 with .7 comp and .82 ex gate housing.

(Has the anti surge cover if that makes any difference)

How does the turbo differ in performance from the .6?

CHEERS