SAU Community

Insurance.. Just Got Rear Ended

RCEBNR

hi guys..

well i just got rear ended by a bloke without insurance....

was stopped, with indicator on, to reverse park into a spot on fitzroy st (right outside cushion lounge so i have about 50 witnesses on the street!!)

the dude didnt see me and smashed into my back right... rear quarter, tail-light, bumper, rear pod and side skrt are not looking too good..

he doesnt have any insurace. im fully comp'd up with justcars, but have never been in a crash b4 so not sure how it all works..

ive got all his details, and the cops were right there too

guessing i call justcar first thing tomoro and give it all over to them? then i get quotes and they chase up him for the $$$

anyone recommened some good places out east-side preferrably doncaster/box hill/ nunawading type area???

yep justcars should chase him up and sue him for the damages on your behalf.

JCI don't offer 'choice of repairer' so I imagine they'll give you a place or a list of places you can go to for repairs.

Does it look like there's any chassis damage?

nah its sweet, drove her home, just right rear panel damage, and a strange squeek comin from the suspension.. had to pull away the guard from the wheel as it was rubbing but i took photos on my phone before i did anything..

will get onto justcar first thing tomoro...

such sh!t timing too, im about to sell the thing and im going o/s in 2 weeks...

well you dont have to get it fixed, esp if you're short of time.. you can just get the quote, take the cheque and sell it off as a wreck.. but it depends on the quote/sale price etc. Sometimes you'd be better off and sometimes not, I've taken the cheque before when it wasn't worth fixing really.

Any chassis damage and it would have been a writeoff, with the low price of 32's these days you might have been better off!

thanks for the repairers.. justcar gave me one that i had to go to and i got 2 of my own..

just gotta wait for the assessor to check out my car.. such a hassle esp so close to xmas..

does anyone no how i go about gettin a car in the mean time? as i kinda need a car to get to work easily..

what happens in this case, with an excess? If your hit by an uninsured motorist, and it clearly wasn't your fault (as above), the you still have to pay the excess don't you? That sucks a little.

I was in a similar situation and the person at fault had to pay any required excess, I assume that the insurance company (AAMI) would have sued for damages at the time.

Regards,

Gareth

good luck with JCI.

i had a car with them, stacked it, and they took my quote to their repairer and they under quoted it and funnily enough got the job.

used 2nd hand parts of INFERIOR quality to that prior to accident (the headlights were badly sandblasted!!) and paint/panel work was sh!thouse. Went back to that repairer once, then took it to another because their 'fix' was as crap as the original job.

With Shannons now, learnt my lesson you get what you pay for...

That is my experience, hope yours is better!

I switched from JCI to shannons with the same rating, premium was about $5-$600 less, excees was $900 vs around $2k, cover is better with shannons, pay by the month...

You'd almost expect to pay more for the far better cover they offer, however its totally opposite in my case

Shannons > JCI. In every single aspect.

well touchwood i have better luck..

im pretty sure how it works as he is uninsured JCI sue him for damages on my behalf and make him pay my excess.. its called 'not at fault claim' or somethin and wont affect my rating/premium next year hopefully

as for repairs, well the place they sent me to looked like a pretty decent group so hopefully all will work out...

such a hassle...if only people would open there bloody eyes when driving and pay attention to the f**kin traffic then this wouldnt happen... gRR

was stopped, with indicator on, to reverse park into a spot on fitzroy st (right outside cushion lounge so i have about 50 witnesses on the street!!)

Well if it gives you any comfort I was one of those witnesses. Except I didn't notice it till I heard the bang.