I Have Been Bitten By The Power Bug!

QRI05E

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saying 200-220rwkw with decent tyres will get a 12sec is kind of pushing it...Considering both Al and berin were running slicks and 250+rwkw and were managing high 12's from memory...
spot on.

If i was to remove sway-bars, strut braces, and revamp my suspenion set-up, i think there would be a very low 12.

spot on.

If i was to remove sway-bars, strut braces, and revamp my suspenion set-up, i think there would be a very low 12.

Yeah, and thats still with full slicks and 250+, so 200-220rwkw and 'decent tyres' isn't going to get an easy 12....i'm sure its do-able, but not without some skill

howd you do that with the stock injectors mick ??

Hey Justin. Just changed to a 040 and used a nismo fuel reg. Dont see more than 90% duty cycle.

Having said that you still have to let the car warm up because as SK has mentioned in the past about

fuel enrichment. It wasn't at full temp the other morning and gave it a squirt and saw the engine light

flicker, so i backed of straight away. Checked the hand controller and it had hit 100%. So about 10 mins

later when it was at full temp i tried the same thing again and didn't go over 90%. So in my case i think

i'll let the car (as i should anyway) get to full temp before ringing it's neck. :(

Yeah, and thats still with full slicks and 250+, so 200-220rwkw and 'decent tyres' isn't going to get an easy 12....i'm sure its do-able, but not without some skill

Set your car up and it's easy to run 12's with 200rwkw odd, hell my old bunky was capable at only 170rwkw odd (and it wasn't well setup really).

One method is to throw power at it and nothing else. This is lots of fun even though you don't get the most out of the car from a time perspective. It requires progressively more skill as the power goes up as the car becomes harder to control. Remember this is lots of fun :( But the driver skill becomes more of an issue to stay off the barrier. This is the case with big power cars that teeter on the line of having a setup to cope with the power. And all the fun of the fair for drag GTR owners who are trying to stop the car from kissing the concrete.

The other method is to set the car up better in terms of suspension and things to make the most of the power you have. The interesting thing is you then don't need as much driver skill. The skill comes back in when you play bracket racing and you are trying to get the timing right.

Overall a well setup car with 200rwkw is going to romp a 12 in consistantly. With simple instruction a new driver can step in and do the same. Thats a good sign you have it right.

Edited by rev210

Saying 200-220rwkw with decent tyres will get a 12sec is kind of pushing it...Considering both Al and berin were running slicks and 250+rwkw and were managing high 12's from memory...

i dont think so.

My car weighs in a smidge over 1400kg. 220rwkw, 12.9 @ 109 with 225 Simex

Now given my rear end isnt the same design as the R33, so i have less traction to boot. :(

And you cant use Berin/Al as examples as it was thier first time out there. Your not going to run the best times the first session out there on sticky tyres

Check the results that people like Robo's have achieved etc etc.

Its easily possible.

Last night at WSID I saw 4 R33 skylines running shocking times... with exhaust + FMIC from what i saw were in the mid 14's! I even spoke to some of the guys and they blamed poor traction but didn’t seem to be the case from the stands, i could be wrong... the only half decent SII R33 ran a 13.0.. when i approached the car at the pits, i saw a FMIC, Fuel Reg, Splitfires, MBC and exhaust... the turner claimed it also had a high flow turbo and PFC tuned and also claimed a unreasonable 290rw/kw.. which i thought was bit farfetched due to having a highflow... could i be wrong? I'd be pretty pissed if a 13.0 was the best time i could get with 290rw/kw...

Cheers

I think people need to move past 'driver skill' and take a good hard look at how poor the setup they run is for drag racing. The 'driver skill' argument is used by people the world over when they don't want to see something wrong with the car setup. Like I said though wheel spin can be fun too, and drag racing is just plain good fun no matter what.

If you can't run a 12 with 220rwkw in an r33 there is something wrong with the setup/driver.

JZZ30 soarer, 226rwkw, auto, street tyres, 12.9@113, 2.160ft. Seeing as a soarer weighs about 200kg or so more than an r33 and a 2.1 60ft isn't even that great from the soarer it should be pretty easy for a skyline.

I have already admitted my car's suspension set-up is totally wrong for drag racing, but i still like to get out there once in a blue moon, just for fun.

Ash: Your R31 is actually better suited for drag, as the rear wheels do not camber in on launches, thus has more rubber on the road, thus has better traction :/

I agree with Ash, Pm 'robo's' about his setup, its pumping out 231rwkw and he has managed a 12.1 @ 116mph on stuffed semi slicks..

Not bad at all, his car had loads of midrange, he also got a 12.5 with a smaller turbo setup and only 220rwkw..

Totally diferent car and suspension set-up

umm not really i mean some ppl have the idea you launch at 8000rpm then wonder why they get a shit launch due to wheel spin...theres a lot to do with it.

No my friend theres not a lot. Simple instruction is all thats needed and a bit of practice. The guys that launch at 8,000rpm and have too much wheel spin, like most, have never bothered to get advice or even experiment. Thats got nothing to do with driver skill but, rather just plain simple process applied to a small amount of practice.

Thats really quite an encouraging thing because it's got nothing to do with your gene's.

Al,

Robo's car has IRS like yours, so basically the suspension setup is the same.

To help you get more traction you can't look past what is one of the most overlooked and yet most effective mods : PINEAPPLES ! --- these little $100 beauties will give you a big improvement in grip, so slap them on if you haven't already.

Drag racing is always lots of fun even when you don't get the greatest times. Having a 'fun' attitude to it usually sees you do better times since you aren't all uptight about it. :)