SAU Community

What Would You Gtr Owners Do: Trust T517z Or Garrett 2860r?

JUN R33

go the gt2860r ike

I assume you mean gt2860r-5 what are the gt2860r-7's like slightly less hp but more response??

yeah the price difference would be a set of hks dump pipes apparently the actuators on the gt-ss are 50%

stronger according to the blurb. Do the garretts have the same actuators just for better boost control that is

Does anyone know if you have to pay duty on stuff from overseas, maybe better to haggle locally for those garrets but which ones.

all da best

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I removed all the broken teeth from my box and have been driving -around with no 3rd. Looks like I have an OS box lined up.

I have recieved my FC-Datalogic so been doing some tunning. No idea on power levels, however boost response is insane and dataloging indicates faster accel between 1st and second with 1.4bar.

thanks boostd,yeh i thought thats what i had to do(elongate)holes.

as i dont have hks turbos b4,will i need to change the part your talking about.also some said in another thread i was reading,that oil restrictors will need to be put in place with ball bearing turbos. something about seals blowing otherwise?

thanks boostd,yeh i thought thats what i had to do(elongate)holes.

as i dont have hks turbos b4,will i need to change the part your talking about.also some said in another thread i was reading,that oil restrictors will need to be put in place with ball bearing turbos. something about seals blowing otherwise?

Yes this is interesting. I posted a question about restrictors many months ago and got varied results on the answers.. What I can tell you though is that I replaced std GTR turbos with Garrett 2860R (the 707160-7's) and went racing.. 5 laps into it I had blown the oil seal on the front turbo... Whether this was a symptom of another fault - or whether this was due simply to high oil pressure I am not sure..

On the Garrett Website under the FAQ though, it does mention the 'best' oil pressure to have for Ball-Bearing types:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...r/faqs.html#t16

It would be good to be able to measure or regulate the pressure at the turbos - but I don't want to simply fit a restrictor and then under supply them...

Anyone know the real answer to this?

BB turbs generally need half the oil supply of a bush type turbo, so a restrictor would be recommended if changing to a BB turbo.

Some companies would sell restrictors for oil lines, can't think of any off the top of my head.

On that note, can anyone elaborate:

R34 GTR BB turbos would have to have a restrictor or smaller oil inlet hole?

I remember my GT30 had an internal oil restrictor on the cartridge.

I would assume other Garrett turbos would be the same... i didnt blow a seal on my single...

and not with gt-ss, far as im aware we have not added any restrictor either

thats good to hear,cause ill be putting my turbos on this week i hope. but if anyone has the 2860r on there car and has put some sort of oil restrictor in could please advice us,cheers

UPDATE: I decided to purchase a new set of Garrett 2860R -5 and managed to pull a 274kw @ 16psi.

I was hoping to pull 300kw...Car has cat back exhaust, front pipes, dump pipes, Power FC, Gizmo Boost Controller and Bosch 040 Fuel Pump.

Oh Well.........I think a TRUST T78 is on the list now *S*

UPDATE: I decided to purchase a new set of Garrett 2860R -5 and managed to pull a 274kw @ 16psi.

I was hoping to pull 300kw...Car has cat back exhaust, front pipes, dump pipes, Power FC, Gizmo Boost Controller and Bosch 040 Fuel Pump.

Oh Well.........I think a TRUST T78 is on the list now *S*

What size injectors are you using Gavin

Great news JUN....Cam gears would help you get a bit more and earlier, high flow or *cough* spec R cat would help too. Intake? Pods?? I have the -5's and they get it done...

we just put the garret - 5 on our car, havnt got it dyno'd yet but just pulls from 3500 all the way up to 8.

feels about 300kw or so. but until we get it dyno'd and a good computer who knows

cheers

Nick, I have the std 440cc injectors in the car atm.

Do you think a replacement cat would help? any good recommendations on where to get one?

I have 2 x Pod Filters...unsure of brand.

Not sure of which cam gears to get....leaning towards Tomei ones over the HKS ones.

Edited by JUN R33

Nick, I have the std 440cc injectors in the car atm.

Do you think a replacement cat would help? any good recommendations on where to get one?

I have 2 x Pod Filters...unsure of brand.

Not sure of which cam gears to get....leaning towards Tomei ones over the HKS ones.

If you are using factory injectors then 270+ kw at 16psi is impressive.

Without knowing the rest of the specifics about your setup, fit some larger injectors and up the boost and you will hit 300 without much trouble.

If you dont have cams already, Tomei sells a bundle with their Type B poncams and cam gears at a pretty decent price.

Tomei and HKS cam gears are much of a muchness now, the new HKS design is far improved over the old ones which had a bad tendancy to wear around the teeth.

Yep....Std 440cc injectors but, I just expected more then 270+ *S*

The car is pretty much standard except for the items I mentioned earlier.

My tuner said the car did make 300kw but, it wasnt at an acceptable level of tune....was tuned safe and made the 274 run.

I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I have a dyno sheet which I hope to have up by tomorrow for all to look at.

LOL you have a Power FC take the car for a run and have a look at what the duty cycle hits and then you will know what Blitz means. Its common knowlegde that stock fuels system runs out of puff around 260-270kws.