SAU Community

First Time @ Wakefield

HKS26T

I went out to wakefield for the first time yesterday for circuit club. It was definately not what i had expected. Although at the end of the tiresome day i did enjoy myself :/ This post is basically to have some inputs, comments, views and personal experiences of those that can relate.

The idea is to improve myself for next time i go out

The car is a 33 gtr with 300rwkw and some battered re540s.... the best i could manage was a 1:14.5 in the 3rd timed session.

As much as i would like to improve my time, im pretty sure like any form of motor racing, there are many hard yards ahead of me.

Besides lack of experience, my friends suggested that there could be a serious problem with my suspension. They had noticed that my car was bouncing around all over the track (even down the main straight :)). How do i know if my car is set up correctly? i have quantum coilovers but i dont know what they are adjusted at, some people suggest that my shocks could be on there way out? could this be true? how do i know? Im totally clueless as to how to setup a car and how the car is behaving etc etc.

All i know is that i went for a lap in my friends Honda type r and it did a 1:12.8 and he was flat stick through to whole track. All i know is i was doing alot of half throttling in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Is there any specail ways of cooling the car down etc any tips for next time to try and prevent spinning off :) and prolonging the life of the skyline :)

all comments will be much appreciated

cheers

Steve

Wakefield...best bet is to use only 3rd gear and up, and concentrate on improving your corner speed by using he right line through corners.

Best bet with regards to suspension is take the car to an expert and get the suspension checked. If the car is bouncing then likely the shocks are blown. Quantam are a good brand so i would look at getting them rebuilt

g'day!

I was there too, in a very noisy black n/a S13 :)

My general tip for people getting into track events is not to try to drive fast at all to begin with.

Cruise around the track as smooth as you can, finding nice lines through corners, and gradually build up your speed during the day.

Once you're going fast enough, you'll need to use the brakes more, and you can concentrate on braking smoothly as well.

What I've always found is that if you work on smoothness and don't worry about speed, by the end of the day you'll find yourself going pretty fast - and without having to work too hard to do it :)

Definitely check your suspension out to make sure it's ok, but don't worry too much about the car setup to begin with. Most of the improvement will come from driving experience, and then you can work on optimising the car.

hahaha go easy on yourself mate....it was your first time out! You'll drop a second every day or 2 for the first few months.

300atw gtr is good for about 1.08/1.07 on good tyres so 12 visits and you should be right :P

don't worry about how an integra goes around there, the track suits light cars with little power, of course his foot is down a lot more than a quick gtr. Hell the fwd cars we used to race there were flat on the accelerator or brake 100% of the time there.

generally:

* turn into corners much later than normal on the road.

* brake much later and much harder (but keep close track of where you need to brake because if you arent careful you will find yourself in the paddock

* use the ripple strips if you want a good time, not nice on your car though

* at wakefield...flat thru turn 1, brake in a straight line straight after the kink. turn 2 is more open than it looks. turn 4 is also pretty open. left foot brake into 5 to bring the nose in. turn 7 requires good balance. turn 8 has 2 apexes, make sure you hit the first one early in the corner, the second is at the exit and is less important. turn 10 has a very late apex for a good run onto the straight...you don't want to understeer and have to back off the gas.

http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/Environmen...dPark/track.pdf

but most importantly get some pointers and assistance from more experienced drivers - advice is worth its weight in gold

My general tip for people getting into track events is not to try to drive fast at all to begin with.

I'd concur with that. Especially Wakefield - its a tricky circuit that doesn't encourage ham-fistedness (which probably explains my inability to pull off a decent time).

I remember the first time I went out to Wakefield. I went out "hard charging", throwing the car around and wrestling with it. I ended up doing a 1:19 at the end of the day.

Last Thursday, I managed to do a 1:18 on a cool-down lap just keeping it smooth and taking it easy.

* at wakefield...flat thru turn 1, brake in a straight line straight after the kink. turn 2 is more open than it looks.

Um.... being a 300kw GTR this MAY not be possible. I know I sure can't go flat through turn 1. I have to dab the brakes before turn one - come off the brakes - straighten the car up again - then get back on the brakes.

The rest of Duncan's advice is sound - but that turn 1 advise I'd be a little cautious of! :laugh:

turn 1 up ya bum fatz.

i've only had the readies to get through their fast and flat once or twice, and you need a bit of committment. but there is plenty of run off at turn 2. just be aware if you think your not going to make the turn, dont try, just get hard on the brakes. hitting the sandtrap sideways is not your friend.

oh, and yes I do concurr, snowman is a massive pussy. (but i do believe V8SC brake for turn1 :yes: )

Hahahahah you guys are funny..... thanks for all the input guys....by the way i did try turn 1 flat foot in 3rd.... i ended up on the paddock :yes:... when are you guys going out again?? i believe wakefield is having alternate sat/sun in the month of dec and jan open days which im pretty keen on going to...does anybody no much about this??? would love to see some skylines out there!!!

yeah, turn 1 is probably better off in 5th in a big power GTR. maybe 4th if you dont mind getting it up near the limiter for a second before you brake for turn 2. 3rd will be holding you up, and the sudden power one when you stomp on it will just unsettle the car badly.

hahaha this thread turned all funny :yes:

I'll be spending a fair bit of time down at wakefield in Jan and Feb, need to run the new motor in.

I'll post up in events when I'm heading down - there are plenty of practice days this time of year because there are no race meets until March.

hahaha this thread turned all funny :yes:

I'll be spending a fair bit of time down at wakefield in Jan and Feb, need to run the new motor in.

I'll post up in events when I'm heading down - there are plenty of practice days this time of year because there are no race meets until March.

Hey mate, i think i'm heading down on the 6th of jan? i might not at the moment tho as i need to getmyself some new front rotors as mine are a bit cracked. will see if i can get that sorted before xmas.

my first outing in my car also so it should be quiet funny.

Pete - some of us can actually power out of a corner propperly and consequently can carry a fair amount of speed by the time they reach turn 1.

I know you like to slide everywhere to mask your inability to drive fast. And consequently since it's something you've never experienced I can inform you that in a good powered GT-R with good rubber and good drive out of turn 10 - then you can't stop at turn 2 if you go flat through turn 1.

:ninja:

Pete - some of us can actually power out of a corner propperly and consequently can carry a fair amount of speed by the time they reach turn 1.

I know you like to slide everywhere to mask your inability to drive fast. And consequently since it's something you've never experienced I can inform you that in a good powered GT-R with good rubber and good drive out of turn 10 - then you can't stop at turn 2 if you go flat through turn 1.

:huh:

:ninja: man that is comedy gold. and so harsh, but true. lol

you may be ugly and from mehico, but that is a pretty fine comeback. i doubt fatz will show his face here again.

anyway, forget wakefield. Oran Park GP is where the fun it at. :wave: flying over the flipflop blind. gingerly bringing it on the the straight with a bit of opposite lock. trying to muster the balls to go hard through the kink, hearing your exhaust as you go under the bridge, driving right on the edge of grip on the right hander after the bridge... mmm all top moments and sadly none of them replicated at wakefield :laugh: