SAU Community

Whats It Worth

BoyWhoCriedWolf

Looking at going Euro (M5, A4, S6), so whats the wagon worth??

97 Autech

102000kms

Rebuilt motor 5000kms ago.

Bottom and top end washed and rebuilt.

Std crank, REV I beam forged rods.

CP 87mm forgies

New valves, guides, seats reground, seals.

Tomei 260 drop ins.

OS cam wheels

N1 water and oil pumps

Reloc kit with oil cooler

JJR radiator

Thermos

Greddy top rad pipe

Tomei sump baffle

K&N pods

Z32 AFM's

N1 Group Turbos

Tune agent exhaust manifolds

HKS dumps

Nismo front pipe

Trust PE2 exhaust (drift cannon, siic maate)

Blitz 102mm FMIC

Sard 720cc inj

Bosch 044 pump

Greddy rail

Malpassi RR FPR

Power FC

Greddy ProfecB Spec2

Blitz FATT

Greddy Oil press and boost guage on pillar (elec)

Std brembos on DBA5000's with gold hats

Gold Beo 17's

RS*R coilovers

New twin plate DC racing clutch

Otherwise its stock.

Sooo, whats it worth? Most parts where bought brand new.

373.5rwkw at 22psi

320rwkw at 18psi

Will take 28psi (turbos will run out of breath around here) so it should make around the 440rwkw mark. have a 6 port NOS kit sitting here too.

Your thoughts oh wise ones.

Cheers,

Ken

PS. Would make a nice daily driver for Brad.

Edited by RBNT

Hey Ken, whilst I am sure that you are going to get lots of input and a whole range of values. I am sure that you realise that hardly anyone ever gets back what they spend on a car. The Autech is something special, and always will be but is isn't on the collecters list yet. They are a different beast for sure. Because they share much with GTR, you will get a rub off effect from the value of these. Seeing as you have rebuilt the motor, it will add some value. but you have remember, that a good autech, if it hasn't been given a hard time wont need rebuilding anyway. Therefore I would say that this only adds about $2500 to the price of an good one. Even though the rebuild probably cost far more. A replacement RB26 can be had for about $8000, but that money doesn't need to be spent on one that already has a good motor.

I would think that with the extra's you should be able to get around the $30,000 mark. However you may be hanging out for a while for this money. A good 97 GTR will sell at around this price too. This is really your market as well. But most people won't want to spend as much on an Autech Stagea. If you want to get rid of it in a short time then I would plumb for $28,000 and don't move. You will then get someone who wants a Stagea to "step up" to your autech or someone who wants a GTR "step down". Please note that I am trying to be as objective as I can, and not critical in any way.

FYI

These are the latest auction prices paid for Autechs at auction in Japan.

1998 2600 F5 112kms black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$9000 grade 3 24/4/07 About $24,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 37,0 kms black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$13000 grade3 21/4/07 About $28,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 83 kms pearl WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$8300 3.5 19/4/07 About $21,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 105 kms blue black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$8600 3.5 19/4/07 About $21,500 on road

So all the above cars could be complied in Aus for about $25,000 or less, it's all competition for you!!

Hope this helps.

John

I would also say ~25-30k, mods are just worth nothing. My Stagea (~15k for a decent stock one, plus the 20k I spent = resale at 18k) and with stock Autechs now around 20-23k landed/complied, I think thats a realistic price.

I dare offer a trade + cash for mine, but I know you would want the extra 18k cash to spend on the new car.

But then, if you are looking BMW M and Audi A, is 18k as important to you are the big f**k off smile on my face?? :blink:

...na, 350AWKW is SICK, but I am too wanting to get into drifting :w00t::(:rofl:

Hey John, thanks for your ideas. Just need to make a point regarding the autech version stagea's. You would very very hard pressed to find one that hasnt had a hard time as you say in your post. Autech stageas were bought into the market to offer somethiong that wasnt available at the time. Its like trying to find an "unmolested" gtr. Your auction/yahoo figures are quite accurate but are on the low side for good quality vehicles. Been in the game a while.

The car I own is a rock solid machine with over 650hp at the flywheel and plenty left in it. We are looking at a t motor thats had 25k spent on it.

Thanks for your opinion, and I love your beast. Bayside FTW!

Side note: Thanks Alex. Make your way north and ill give you a drive!

Hey Ken, whilst I am sure that you are going to get lots of input and a whole range of values. I am sure that you realise that hardly anyone ever gets back what they spend on a car. The Autech is something special, and always will be but is isn't on the collecters list yet. They are a different beast for sure. Because they share much with GTR, you will get a rub off effect from the value of these. Seeing as you have rebuilt the motor, it will add some value. but you have remember, that a good autech, if it hasn't been given a hard time wont need rebuilding anyway. Therefore I would say that this only adds about $2500 to the price of an good one. Even though the rebuild probably cost far more. A replacement RB26 can be had for about $8000, but that money doesn't need to be spent on one that already has a good motor.

I would think that with the extra's you should be able to get around the $30,000 mark. However you may be hanging out for a while for this money. A good 97 GTR will sell at around this price too. This is really your market as well. But most people won't want to spend as much on an Autech Stagea. If you want to get rid of it in a short time then I would plumb for $28,000 and don't move. You will then get someone who wants a Stagea to "step up" to your autech or someone who wants a GTR "step down". Please note that I am trying to be as objective as I can, and not critical in any way.

FYI

These are the latest auction prices paid for Autechs at auction in Japan.

1998 2600 F5 112kms black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$9000 grade 3 24/4/07 About $24,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 37,0 kms black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$13000 grade3 21/4/07 About $28,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 83 kms pearl WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$8300 3.5 19/4/07 About $21,000 on road

1998 2600 F5 105 kms blue black WGNC34 260RS AUTECH US$8600 3.5 19/4/07 About $21,500 on road

So all the above cars could be complied in Aus for about $25,000 or less, it's all competition for you!!

Hope this helps.

John

I really wouldn't base your resale value on these figures. As anyone who has imported a car knows, in most cases they never arrive how you expect. Dings, scratches, parts missing / stolen small things not working and compliance doesn't always workout to be the price you were expecting either not to mention the waiting time involved from purchase to in your driveway. And thats if your not one of the unfortunate ones :P There is always more money to be spent once it arrives so although you say any of the above cars could be complied for $25,000.00 or less the key word is COULD. I would say budget for extra money to cover everything that needs fixing and touching up. Where as if you look at the prices on Autech's already here for sale the prices jump almost $10,000 in some cases and the ones I've seen have still been fairly stock. Also anyone who has owned a GTR before will tell you (espically looking at R32 owners here) they are an expensive machine to maintain not to mention repiar. Just an RB26 rebuild is worth almost much as most as one of our RS4's. And seeing as your pretty much buying the car blind you may well need one when it arrives, some one starting the car and rolling back and forward around the auction yard isn't going to tell you much. But you also don't get much back on Mods but I can tell you if you put this up for somewhere around $35,000 to $40,000 I would love to see someone build another for that price going by the mod list.

Thats my 2c worth anyway.

Good Luck with the sale

Stasis, would leave the Euro stock mate, thats the whole reason for buying one.

Josh, spot on. I was thinking around the $40k mark. People really do get confused with the landed and complied price. Whats the price on a set of factory pads for brembos these day?

yeah if I had $35k cash Id be tempted..........

definately worth more than 30k. but its all determined by the market (ie the buyer) and what they are prepared to offer. 35k seems realistic for the detailed Autech beast of a stagea

The main issue is Ken, most stagea buyers want to get something stock and start on the road themselves and most people are family people, who don't want 350awkw from the daily driver/family car.

Look at the two most modified Stageas that have come up for sale, mine, and Jays. Both of us are finding it a hard thing to sell, and at the same time, because of the mods not adding so much value, we are more reluctant to price drops.

For example, car (15k) + 20k mods = ~18-19k resale. Then, a car for 15k = 15k resale.

BUT, when it comes to price drops to adapt to the market, the guy that spent an extra 20k will be losing way more money by dropping the price 1k than the guy that spent nothing, though both are roughly the same price.

At the same time, the only people that will be willing to pay top dollar (35-40k) for a car like yours, are other people that own stageas. I have found this an inappropriate way to measure the value of the car, by asking other owners. We all ALREADY know how sick the cars are, we know they are the best wagons for the dollar etc.... but the guys that will be looking at your Stagea wont...unfortunately.

One final thing, you live in Darwin yes? Hows that for exposure? I mean, would 35-40k make people fly from Melbourne just to have a look?

Its a pain, I KNOW

Stasis, would leave the Euro stock mate, thats the whole reason for buying one.

Josh, spot on. I was thinking around the $40k mark. People really do get confused with the landed and complied price. Whats the price on a set of factory pads for brembos these day?

get the M5 then :sorcerer:

One final thing, you live in Darwin yes? Hows that for exposure? I mean, would 35-40k make people fly from Melbourne just to have a look?

I look after it for you in Brisbane Ken. . . .

I think start at $40-45K and drop from there

Example

A mate of mine just sold a 500hp series 1 R33 GTR

Current prices are $25-35K, he sold his for close to $60K. Just need the right buyer to come along and depends how quick you need to sell. If the timing was right I would have been interested. But you would need to fit a R34 front first :P

i'll just throw my 2 bucks worth in,i know a couple of you boys are having trouble moving your modded stagea's, but you have to remember they are still basically unknown, their are plenty of punters out their with cash, like a few of the other guy's are saying you have just got to interest the right person at the right time, it's hopefully only a matter of jagging a car freak who understands what value he's really getting...buy the way if i didn't already own a stagea i'd certainly pay 25 for andys or easily 30 for yours

Although a lot of good points have been raised I still think that the import auction sites are causing too many hastles with buying / selling cars these days. Too many people (and boost cruising is shocking for this, I don't even bother with that site anymore. Should change it to www.14yearolddreamer.com.au) look at Prestige or J-Spec and see the prices that are advertised there and then try barganing with local sellers based on these prices. A perfect example was shown above. Not to mention that its always been a fact of car modifing life that you will loose money but these days is just stupid. Before people come out with stupid offers they should look at the mods and work out brand new prices and then add all the labour costs then add the base purchase price of the vehicle. Which if they were to start with a stock car and follow their own modification path and probably come out with the same end product just so they can say THEY DID IT is just small minded. As long as its quality workman ship and quality parts preferable if its also got reciepts then people would still save a lot of money and the seller would still come out better than most do at the moment. So basing this on the listed mods (new parts) above, plus the rebuild, plus all the labour and tuning (dyno time) and the cost of the car to begin with then I would "ESTIMATE" that there wouldn't be much cash left over from $80K or so not to mention the amount of time the car would be off the road then constantly getting things fixed, adjusted, chaged till everything was ok. A person buying a car like this shouldn't have to worry about all that. Now don't get me wrong your not going to get that kind of money but going lower than $35000 is a rip off to yourself as this would still only get you a slightly warmed over 260RS locally either at a dealer or another priviate sale. And if a potential buyer can't see that then its just not worth it and let them walk as they probably can't afford it anyway.

Edited by Mr_RS4

tell me something. Why would you want to sel yor worked stagea after you have moded not long ago? European cars are a complete different animal. And they are not cheap to maitain. If you think the Rb26 is cheap thhink again.

All the european cars are expensive to maintain especially the M series and the Rs from Audi. If they dont have factory warranty its not advisable to get it cos of the parts.

That my experience with euro cars. For an example a radiator would cost you 1k and a water pump 1.5k. dont mean to scare you.

I too have had experience with the Euros. The car will be leased under my company and serviced by the company.

You obviously havent had too much go wrong with your RB, wait until it does and yo too will find out the real cost of ownership.

Why sell it? Well I am getting a bit older and my interest is stupidly fast cars (which I can tell this one is) is starting ta wane, and driving an A6 around for a week and then stepping into a 4.2ltr Q7 for the weekend ws nice. Having a drive of an RS4 wagon, A8 (cant offord) and a V10 S6 next week which will be fun. The M5 is an old fav though.

Why sell it? Well I am getting a bit older and my interest is stupidly fast cars (which I can tell this one is) is starting ta wane, and driving an A6 around for a week and then stepping into a 4.2ltr Q7 for the weekend ws nice. Having a drive of an RS4 wagon, A8 (cant offord) and a V10 S6 next week which will be fun. The M5 is an old fav though.

Last weekend I drove my sister inlaws Audi quatro wagon (the little one A4?) with the 4.2 ltr V8

I was very impressed with the performance

331kws, still plenty of power but a nice cruising car that wont attract too much attention. Realisticly I will be looking at an A4 sedan "S" line version, they are going fairly cheap (if you could call it that) for an 06 ex demo model.

I too have had experience with the Euros. The car will be leased under my company and serviced by the company.

You obviously havent had too much go wrong with your RB, wait until it does and yo too will find out the real cost of ownership.

hehehe getting old i see :P how old are you? your back must be geting soft i see?! LOL!! Yea my rig hasnt got much problem yet. but i i can deal with my euro card before i think i can deal with anything.

tell you guys i think my car was dead stock std when i got it. so it hasnt been modded at all. service record and everythnig tally up with the ODO reading. So i dont think the rb engone is going to F*ck up on me anythime soon so.....

get a bloddy M5 the engine block is made out of magnesium. Its the lightes V10 ever produced commercially. it wieghs like 280kg for the whole engine. There goes the theory with the rotary engine being lighter than the piston engine. LOL!!