SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

Thanks brad,

I'll give martins a go on the lucas gear as i am working 10minutes from there atm so it's easy to drop in at lunch time. If i have no joy there i'll give you a ring.

Chris,

more boost :laugh:

If the ultimates are doing the job id suggest you really aren't working the brakes very hard (thats not a bad thing). I rate them quite highly as a street pad (because i don't care about dust) but it doesn't take much to overheat them.

I'm generally a bit reluctant to recommend the HC+ pads as they go for $250 plus per end (mine actually cost me $310 a couple of years ago) which is a pretty big outlay for brake pads. But they work lap after lap, the rotors aren't wearing, the pads are barely wearing, and i don't get shudder or any other annoying brake problems. I really can't fault them as a street/track pad other than to say their cold performance isn't great.

Dave and Brad,

Cheers for the replies guys!!

Yeah Brad I may try and make south cct on the 20th and we'll try those heat thingies! :wave: I think I might go another set of the ultimates and get more practice with my braking - then upgrade (yeah brake dust doesnt worry me one bit!)

Dave - hahah yeah Im still learning this track day thing mate - I get more confident each day and at the last autsports day I relised that I was "soft" on my braking and reslied I could have braked futher into it!

front project Mu HC+ 6 track days and counting still around 50% pad left. Out brake anything of similar weight (except a mate with a sil80 and the same pads). Still can't fault them.

Dave, just been reading back - where do you get these pads from? And how much?

Cheers!

I got mine from mu secret years ago for $310

These days it's cheap and easy to get them in from japan. Nengun list them for $245 delivered but if you want them quick id suggest talking to one of the many private importers around.

My serious suggestion, buy both and try them back to back!

The only way to get what you want from the brakes is to try different combinations.

If you want the Lucas' pads let me know. ABS have them at the cheapest price I can possibly find.

Edited by Risking

what is ABS phone number?

Depends which one, they're a franchise. ABS I've found are OK on prices, when we've been out of stock of something and a customer needed it urgently I've run down to ABS to get it and then just pass it on at cost. We're on just about the best trade price ABS will offer, but most of the time their prices don't worry ours.

Lucas (now called TRW) can be bought from any parts outlet that has an account with ATAP.

Paying some of the prices quoted in the $100's for brake pads seems ridiculous, are they platinum or something? Still I guess if people keep paying then they will keep selling at those ripoff sort of prices.

Paying some of the prices quoted in the $100's for brake pads seems ridiculous, are they platinum or something? Still I guess if people keep paying then they will keep selling at those ripoff sort of prices.

define ripoff.

If a $300 set of pads lasted 3 track days, yep, rip off. If they last 6 days, thats 50 a day, they are starting to look pretty good, If they are 6 days in and still have 50% left on them would you still class them as a rip off?

I've actually spent more on cheap rear pads in those 6 days than i have on the one set of fronts. And by cheap, one set was $130 and lasted a day (actually 5 20 minute sessions, 2 of which were wet)

Still think they are a rip off? I think my $300+ fronts were worth every cent.

My current R33 (series2) suffers brake squeal as did my previous R33 (series 1). It's really pissing me off and it's time to do something about it. Have stock rotors and pads and used for the road only. Any recommendations appreciated.