SAU Community

Jap Plates In Aus?

Im assuming there are a few people on here from around my area. In Brighton, there is a two tone white/grey stock silvia always parked down the main road and I see it driving around a fair bit.

The car wears Japanese plates front and back, and from what i can see, there is no Australian Registration sticker on it.

Just wondering if anyone would know about this car or the reason why the car may be allowed at all to drive around with those plates on? Maybe a temporary import or something? Always been interested and I have nfi.

Cheers.

I believe that if you owned the car overseas you can register the same plates here.

My friend who's family came to Oz (Vic) years back brought with them a jaguar with HK plate and registered it here in Vic.

I believe that if you owned the car overseas you can register the same plates here.

My friend who's family came to Oz (Vic) years back brought with them a jaguar with HK plate and registered it here in Vic.

that is rediculous.

the car must be registered locally with local plates.

:laughing-smiley-014:

crack must be cheap these days......

lol, school holidays already?! :laughing-smiley-014:

:)

Well, I'm not on cracks for sure.

I've also been in the car too.

(btw, he is rich, runs a business in China, one of his house here is worth 1.3m, whether that has anything to do with it...)

(No, I'm not joking and not on crack)

(btw, he is rich, runs a business in China, one of his house here is worth 1.3m, whether that has anything to do with it...)

weed?

hmm... if you don't know your taking crack then all we need to do is find out who is spiking your drinks then lol.

Perhaps he's so rich he just leaves the plates on and just throws fist fulls of money at the police when they pull him over.

Edited by gibbau

• 2 weeks later...
To those who think I'm on crack...

http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

That link you provided is for a UVP under Carnet (Unregistered Vehicle Permit... 'Unregistered' being the key word here) valid for 12 months after which the car must be exported back to the country of origin.

So no, you can't 'register' a car in Australia with foreign plates... thats absurd.