SAU Community

Upgrading From An R34

I am considering an upgrade to a V35 or an Audi Quattro Turbo..

which way to go... retain something with boost..or go the N/A route

How many of you V35 owners have moved from a 34.

I thought this car was such a refined step up from a 33.. and then there is a V35 now... will it be an equally great step up.

I am finding the fuel in the 34 to be average...is the N/A option helping with fuel at all.

Are there any regrets from anyone..

thanks for the time

I am considering an upgrade to a V35 or an Audi Quattro Turbo..

which way to go... retain something with boost..or go the N/A route

How many of you V35 owners have moved from a 34.

I thought this car was such a refined step up from a 33.. and then there is a V35 now... will it be an equally great step up.

I am finding the fuel in the 34 to be average...is the N/A option helping with fuel at all.

Are there any regrets from anyone..

thanks for the time

Hey mate,

Haven't driven a 34, but it's light years ahead of my old 33. General consesus is that it's actually a pretty big step up in refinement compared with all previous skylines.

In saying that, it's a very different car being NA. If you're thinking of extracting decent power out if it, then prepare your wallet. It's not uncommon for a few thousand dollars of upgrades to get you only an extra 15 or so kw at the wheels.

For me it's a daily driver, that I think looks great and is a great buy for the price. For this purpose i think it's fantastic, and have no regrets at all.

But, in stock form it's not the best handling, or the quickest car out there, and is quite heavy. I've given it a shot at a track, and again for what it is, I think it done quite well. But have decided for the money it will take to turn it into a good track car, I can buy a dedicated R32 track car.

Fuel, there's a thread somewhere here on fuel, butI'm getting around 500k's to a tank.

So, love the car, so much so that I had an offer to sell it which would have made me a nice profit, but i think it's more a touring car that a track/speed beast.

If a nice refined car is what your after, take one for a drive, you'll love it.

cheers

Bobby

I too have looked at upgrading from my 34 and then I just take myself off to my favourite stretch of mountain road and amuse myself for an hour or so. An R34 with a well sorted engine and suspension package is an absolute loody joy to drive. Free plug for the boys from Fulcrum Suspension in Cairns NQ. They sorted my Tein package superbly!

cheers

Muz

I've been looking at a 350GT-8 for the wife, and an XR8 ute for towing and work. I'm still yet to drive a 350 in any form but don't expect it to be a fast car, that is what the racecar and GTR are for but I've found myself thinking.

The problem is the ute will only take 2 people and I won't have the other brand with a 4 door V8 ute, nor do I want a landbarge 4wd but I'd like to carry fishing/diving buddies when going out in the boat. I also want the full leather and comfort in the towmobile but about the only other option is an XR8 sedan. Of course with this we should then only need the XR8 and not a 350GT-8 but her royalness has put her foot down. I get the GTR and racecar and XR8, she wants the 350. Would anyone have a comparable experience in these machines to help me decide or make a suitable argument?

go and drive a V35 and you will know your answer :D

When I was covering at a dealership the first thing I did was get them to drive the car as once you have driven one you are sold, the V35 2 and 4 door is nothing like what people expect and since they have already got over the price and they like the looks once they drive it they wont it.

I've been looking at a 350GT-8 for the wife, and an XR8 ute for towing and work. I'm still yet to drive a 350 in any form but don't expect it to be a fast car, that is what the racecar and GTR are for but I've found myself thinking.

The problem is the ute will only take 2 people and I won't have the other brand with a 4 door V8 ute, nor do I want a landbarge 4wd but I'd like to carry fishing/diving buddies when going out in the boat. I also want the full leather and comfort in the towmobile but about the only other option is an XR8 sedan. Of course with this we should then only need the XR8 and not a 350GT-8 but her royalness has put her foot down. I get the GTR and racecar and XR8, she wants the 350. Would anyone have a comparable experience in these machines to help me decide or make a suitable argument?

geoff,

i find it hard to workout exactly what you are asking, but i'll offer these points if it can help you in any way:

- the 350GT has fold down rear seats so in actual fact the boot becomes HUGE once the seats are folded down and can hold very long items - eg fishing gear

- the coupe and sedan versions have exactly the same leg room just that the sedan had slightly more head room and has a middle seat - so the coupe is not to be written off

- the 350GT does 0-100 in 6.0sec so is not a slow car by any means - might be slightly slower with the CVT transmission

- it has heaps of room for taller blokes like me and you (i'm 6"4 and i know you're tall)

so if i can offer any help at all i say get your wife a 350GT in ivory pearl, my girlfriend thought it looked amazing in the white colour and its much more suited to females than silver or black i personally believe.

Dont get me wrong but the R34 isn't a bad looker, i was considering getting myself one as well.

I thought to my self, why buy something that everyone has? Every second car you see is a R33 or R34.

I went for the V35 because:

1. The wide range of options it offers

2. The performance isn't to bad at all quarter mile stock in 14.5

3. The look of the car is amazing and in my opinion looks better than a 350Z

4. If you want women then go for a V35 coupe, if they see you in a 33 or 34 they are going to think, "another REv head" or "another skyline".

5. The other day i parked the car on the street and sat back, watched a dozen people walk by, all of them stopped and looked at the car for at least 30seconds, also people on the road when you drive will be so fascinated in the car that they can't stop staring.

6. The 33 and 34 are very basic looking, the 35 has style and class.

maybe this might help you.

Edited by T88turbo

I'd have to admit, i break my neck everytime i see a V35... i don't know how quick they are, but damn a well sorted V35 looks heaps better a 34, this is coming from a 34 owner here :) The only gripe i have is that it doesn't have a turbocharger, and i've seriously considered importing a V35 and having AVO turbocharge it for me... an option i might have to take up again if i decide to upgrade anytime soon.

see this is a point that we should be making here..

if you drive one you will realise that it is a quick car sans turbocharger

i would go as far as saying it is as quick if not quicker than my R32 GTSt that i spend way too much $$ on

its very surprising to drive personally coming from a 2L engine with no torque to a beautiful engine with loads of torque and power

and best yet, its not a hoons car.. its not the car that all the wankers that roam the wasteland want to drive.. it doesn't attract the "fully sick" morons..

geoff,

i find it hard to workout exactly what you are asking, but i'll offer these points if it can help you in any way:

- the 350GT has fold down rear seats so in actual fact the boot becomes HUGE once the seats are folded down and can hold very long items - eg fishing gear

- the coupe and sedan versions have exactly the same leg room just that the sedan had slightly more head room and has a middle seat - so the coupe is not to be written off

- the 350GT does 0-100 in 6.0sec so is not a slow car by any means - might be slightly slower with the CVT transmission

- it has heaps of room for taller blokes like me and you (i'm 6"4 and i know you're tall)

so if i can offer any help at all i say get your wife a 350GT in ivory pearl, my girlfriend thought it looked amazing in the white colour and its much more suited to females than silver or black i personally believe.

What are you saying, I'm driving a womans car??? :)

You need to ask if you'd buy an Audi Quattro? The Audi Quattro is an absolute legend. It may not be particularly quick in modern terms, but its got a heritage few cars can beat. Whereas the V35 is a whitegood in comparison.

Just surprised that you'd be comparing a 20+ year old car against a newish one. The Skyline will be a far more reliable car, that's far more comfortable, and a lot cheaper and easier to maintain. I'd only ever buy a Quattro as a toy car - if someone damaged it I'd have a heart attack.

Edited by scathing

4. If you want women then go for a V35 coupe, if they see you in a 33 or 34 they are going to think, "another REv head" or "another skyline".

If you re-read the first post, selling the Skyline is already a given. He's asking if he should buy an Audi Quattro or a Nissan Skyline, so comparing it to a R33 or R34 is pretty much moot.

Admittedly this is no chick magnet oil painting either, Euro badge notwithstanding:

audi-quattro-1988.jpg

but a true car enthusiast will wet themselves if they saw a genuine one on the road.

Scathing, I think that NO RSPECT was referring to an Audi A4 Quattro turbo, as in the B6 series (approx 2003) as it is somewhere in the ballpark of a V35 (for price, size and age). If so the Audi has a higher luxury status, finish etc, but only a 1.8L turbo which if you pile the money into it with mods (chip, exhaust, maybe even larger KKK turbo etc.) will be making the same power the V35 does stock. Certainly a car worth comparing to in terms of age, status, refinement and day to day drivability.

Love your style unique

this is exactly how i ended up at this point.

I have seen a smicko wagon A4 Quattro Turbo S line.. a car i got a hankering for when i went to europe.

I have been with nissans for years now.. so the v35 is the natural progression.

It good to hear people say it is a step up from experience, because when i got the 34 over the 33, i could also say there was step up...BUT...the 33 seemed more wild...I can say i am over the wildside.. so if the 35 is as powerful as claimed, then the bug might be quelled a little..mod bug that is

i have spent a bit of time on the american g35 forums... supercharger kits run rampant.. so i guess thats an option.

For now

I would like a 6 speed.

Car dealer in Perth, has my name, was supposed to call me so I can test drive a manual... *cough*cough* NO PHONECALLS..

Its been a while. I will give them a call and ask whats up.

I really wanna test drive one, to know if I can live with it... and from what all of you have said.. there is NO turning back.

Appreciate all the responses. and also to "R34" if you are reading this....thanks for the PM. :(

If anyone in perth reads this, and recalls a dark blue R34 tailing them through maylands sorta area late on a saturday night... that was me... taking rubbernecking to a whole new level.. I was like..press the brakes....ooooh...aaaah....

I like the 1980 one better!! never seen one in the flesh... would hate to know what sort of price they would fetch... am i correct in thinking that there were only 40 or so brought into the country... I wanted one so badly when i was younger.

Sorry Waz, confused ramblings.

I was looking for a reason to justify us getting an XR8 sedan instead of an XR8 ute and a V35. My wife wants the CVT8 so that means it's a 4door but it will be nice to have a couple extra doors. Right now I have 5 cars and all are 2 door.

I have it on good authority the CVT8 is the quickest in the stable as it stays on the boil. Nissan stated it was the first auto car that couldn't be outpaced 0-100 by a pro driver in the manual.

Geoff the solution for you is a AUDI ALLROAD! - V6 TT 2.7ltr - KICKS ASS!!

Can easily be tuned for much more power also!

I just nearly bought one around $45K for a 2001/2 but got swayed by a V8 that cost a bit more! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i seen that dark blue R34. Nice clean looking one, lowered on euro looking 19's? Nice!

I am thinking V35 or Audi, just like everyone has said is down to the test drive. See a dealer thrown them into some corners and you will know what you want.

Have you ever considered a GTI Golf, you can get a pretty new example for about the same price range. Jeremy Clarkson speaks highly of them too. Not bad props from a man that owns a new school GT50.

Spend some time in the cars and your driving instinct will let you know what it is you want, they all have serious merit so no pick will let you down. ;)

I personally can't wait until they start importing the V36.

That's going to be my next car without doubt.

Can't believe I'd say it but I wouldn't mind the sedan version... in future it will be better for me as an all round/family car.

Edited by Yo-Yo