SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Auto Vs Manual

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion, buy what you can afford. From what the OP said it appears he buys an auto Skyline or continues driving one of the ugliest cars ever built! Easy choice for me.

I am a manual driver however, always have been through 2 Skylines and a VL. I wouldn't drive anything else in a sports car.

just out of curiousity, what times, speeds and 60ft times are you running, and with what mods?

13.8 1/4

complete list of mods from when i did the run were:

3" turbo-cat exhaust. STANDARD muffler (defects). so i was pretty much running a standard exhaust!!

pod

fmic

slide hiflow @10-12psi

60' was 2.4 but i was tinkering with a new launch method rather than line locking so starts were a bit off.

speed was 107mph (which is good for a flat-low 13sec pass).

andrew777

there is a lot of slogging going around in this thread

you say you have found a cheap r33 skyline, "but is manual." this sweetens the deal, i do not understand why you seem to be complaining? do you have an issue with a manual, such as, your girlfriend / wife cannot drive manual (teach her :) )?

as you can tell people have their own opinions, as to why you would have autos, the differences, peoples experiences, drag cars and even the weight differences. food for thought. you'll have your own considerations and priorities

your answers havent been directly answered tho

but these are facts

auto's have higher drivetrain loss

you cannot get a blow off valve noise WHEN THE GEARS ARE CHANGING in an auto (sorry had to emphasise that)

a major question you present is the difference in performance. this is hard to get a finite answer because of all the variables, you would idealy do a whole set of back to back tests of stock r33 identical series, identical tyres and drivers. but we can't. however we do have the time slip registry thread.

13.8 is a self proclaimed great time for an r33 auto as posted by SECURITY with a high flowed r33 with fmic, more boost and front pipe. i am not doubting this memeber in any way or form.

in posts 46, 82 of the time registry thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=2090940

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=2677351

you can see that this time is acheivable on an r33 both with stock turbo and cooler. i'd put money on them being manual. you can go off on a tangent claiming they were different tracks, blantant lies, different tyres, different drivers etc.

not conclusive proof of anything, but you make your own conclusion / research..

more questions of yours:

to compare an r33 skyline, auto or manual, to a vs commodore (a v6 or v8??) and an au falcon there are many factors. but i think you're only after performance. both falcon and commodore would be expected to have a greater low down throttle response due to higher compression ratio and the missing turbo clogging up the exhaust. however once on boost i doubt either of these cars would stand a chance around a skyline (consider all stock). have a look at the factory figures to give you some sort of indication

now to your question about an r33 gtst auto verse an r32 gtst manual, -this would be interesting, quite close. most likely will come down to driver skill (the manual launcher..) and tyres.

i think the best thing for you to do would be to test drive both an auto and manual. just do some thinking of what you really want. my comment about disabled people is just my own bias, i've grown up in a family who has had multiple auto transmission failures of family cars and know many friends family cars auto transmission requiring replacement (nothing to do with power, performance, driving or mods). then i have my preferences...

Here's my view... I have a built up R33 Auto... I love it... I also have a Holden Commodore 2007 model for work that's manual... he's my opinion... I personally recommend the Auto Skyline... performance wise, bearly noticable if that... Manuals launch quicker at the lights... but unless you can shift gears as fast a automtically gearbox... the Auto will leave you for dead on the stretch... moreover, with Auto - you're constantly on Boost if you keep the revvs up... so you can actually drag faster and hold it there... also, with Autos... you can go for a relaxing drive and pound it when you want... a cruiser and a racer all in 1... Manuals are for people that wanna be more involving with their rides... that's about it.... don't under-estimate an auto Skyline... with the right mods, it can clock up some impressive times!

but unless you can shift gears as fast a automtically gearbox... the Auto will leave you for dead on the stretch

if it is a stock box you will be able to change gears quicker in a manual, unless you are a deadshit, plus you can change when you want. if it starts to choke at 6500rpm you can grab the next gear, but in the auto you have to wait for it to struggle up to redline.

i believe he was talking about a worked auto which actually costs less than a new clutch. you cant get quicker changes in a manual.

even on a stock box, to change gears all you need to do is back off and it will change gears. takes all of around 1 second. you dont need to wait till redline.

Edited by SECURITY

i love this thread when i want a bit of fun i put the switch into power mode and drive the auto like a manual have left many a manual sitting at the lights doing this . if i just want to cruise put the switch back into economy mode and drive like a granny best of both worlds. nothing worde than a manual with a clutch thats so heavy or cant be slipped a bit makes them a right pig to drive in the city

Hi guys,

im about to purchase my first Skyline in 3 weeks, its a stock 1996 R33 Gts-t Series 2 Auto with 33,000kms and nothing extra except for a rear sway bar, now, ive always been a manual fan, however im just happy to be getting a skyline :) right now my only plan is to change the exhaust system from the cat ( 3 inch stainless piping all the way to a rear muffler) i was just wondering in comparison how is stockish performance of the auto 33 VS an Auto Sr20 S13, AND ALSO im interested in converting to a manual in the future (if im not satisfied with the auto) how much would this set me back, is there any difference in price considering its a series 2 ? (i was quoted 4 grand drive in drive out by JMS here in adelaide, but to me thats too much, im not that rich :))

Hi guys,

im about to purchase my first Skyline in 3 weeks, its a stock 1996 R33 Gts-t Series 2 Auto with 33,000kms and nothing extra except for a rear sway bar, now, ive always been a manual fan, however im just happy to be getting a skyline :) right now my only plan is to change the exhaust system from the cat ( 3 inch stainless piping all the way to a rear muffler) i was just wondering in comparison how is stockish performance of the auto 33 VS an Auto Sr20 S13, AND ALSO im interested in converting to a manual in the future (if im not satisfied with the auto) how much would this set me back, is there any difference in price considering its a series 2 ? (i was quoted 4 grand drive in drive out by JMS here in adelaide, but to me thats too much, im not that rich :))

um perhaps you should try starting your own thread?

for performance look at http://www.importforums.com/carsinfo.htm

basically not much between the two. but i havent seen a comparison of auto vs manual. that would be interesting to see

wow thnks for the quick replies guys. took the car for a test drive, and it felt pretty dmn quick! although i didnt get to go above 50 as there were no main roads and my mum was in the passenger seat lol. (had to have her there, shes financing a quarter of it).

Anyway, i was wndering, past 50ks, does the car have considerably more grunt than going from 0 - 50. When does boost come on? Does it even come on before 50? cheers.

lets just say you barely drove the car if you didnt get over 50...! i got a s1 auto, microtech, catback, split dump and pod filter 171rwkw, and it well and truely toasts 265s in 2nd gear, and thats only playing with it, each to there own, i love my auto.. and i have a 400hp manual vl in the shed, love that too, its 2 different driving styles between manual or auto