SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Auto Vs Manual

Iv owned both auto and manual r33 gtst so heres my experances.

Auto - great for a daily driver and having some fun on the weekend, shifts about the same speed as a fast shift in a manual box.

Manual - Not so good in traffic, great for a track car, synchro problems are common

At the end of the day it really depends if the car will be a daily driver or a weekend car

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv owned both auto and manual r33 gtst so heres my experances.

Auto - great for a daily driver and having some fun on the weekend, shifts about the same speed as a fast shift in a manual box.

Manual - Not so good in traffic, great for a track car, synchro problems are common

At the end of the day it really depends if the car will be a daily driver or a weekend car

Gotta hate those worn synchro's.

One thing Im interested in with regards to this topic, is why the people in this thread who have an auto made the decision to get one...

Because they cant drive manual

Because they prefer auto (eg lots of traffic)

Because of cheaper auto prices

Other reasons?

Personally i feel auto's are for 'family' cars. and manual's for 'Driving' cars. depends who you are, what you want out of your car etc etc.

On a side not, stock v stock, manual is faster down the quarter mile, and has better fuel econemy. you also will have more power at the rear treads, as shown in numerous examples. also the manual has a more responsive feel.

I used to work in the city, and I found the manual was fine. It really just depends what kind of clutch you have or get. But like many people have said, it depends what you want it for, and what your doing with it.

good luck with ur purchase :P

or in the manual you can just keep your foot on the gas when you change gears and there will be no spool time either. and a stock auto will change gears slower than most people can change gears in a manual. on average at the drags (until you get to the much quicker cars) a manual will run much faster than an auto. in standard form it would be nearly half a second.

if you can get an auto to spin the wheels by stomping it in drive you could do the same in a manual. but in the manual you don't have to wait for it to make it's mind up about what gear it wants to drop back into. you just put it in a gear and stomp it.

auto gearboxes are heavier than manual ones as well.

if you want a 10 second car go an auto. if it is going to remain pretty much stock then go manual if you want more fun or auto if it is going to be a daily driver.

depending on your box, flat stick changes will make you miss a gear (im not sure if the manual sky box has that safety shit). auto boxes dont 'take their time deciding', they are pretty aggressive when you put your foot down. dont forget you can control the gears too.

auto boxes are heavier :P but only by around 20-40kg i think. i pull quicker times down the 1/4 than manual skylines with the same mods. explain that one?

and yeah.. if its staying stock - get a manual.. but how often to skylines stay stock?

you'll have alot of fun in an auto once you learn how to.

One thing Im interested in with regards to this topic, is why the people in this thread who have an auto made the decision to get one...

Because they cant drive manual

Because they prefer auto (eg lots of traffic)

Because of cheaper auto prices

Other reasons?

i bought mine 3 years ago for $11,000. it was cheap and i was going to do a manual conversion for $500, and save myself $5-6,000 of the price difference.

then i started modding it and racing it and i completely converted my views on the auto. plus when you munch someone off the lights and they ask, 'what have you done to it??', i think it hurts them alot more when you say... 'nothing.... its just an auto'.

auto boxes are heavier but only by around 20-40kg i think. i pull quicker times down the 1/4 than manual skylines with the same mods. explain that one?

tyres, and they probably can't drive. but your auto also isn't stock is it?

depending on your box, flat stick changes will make you miss a gear (im not sure if the manual sky box has that safety shit). auto boxes dont 'take their time deciding', they are pretty aggressive when you put your foot down. dont forget you can control the gears too.

i haven't driven a manul yet that you can't snap change (or that you can't change gears without the clutch, both up and down by blipping the throttle at the right rpm). i'm not talking flat change. flat change is not using the clutch and holding the accelerator down, cnap changing is keeping your foot on the gas then kicking the clutch as you change gears, which usually results in frying the rear tyres, and as your clutch gets worn, frying it too.

as for the auto box taking it's time deciding, that depends on what speed you are doing. at certain speeds it will drop back 1 gear then a second half a second later.

Yeah but how do they compare performance wise? The car im looking at is about $5000 cheaper than the same year and condition but manual, and theres no way i can afford that atm (or for the next four or so years). basically what im asking is, is a auto gtst skyline a lot slower than a manual or not? i drive an AU Falcon auto atm, how would it compare to that? I dont mind driving an auto, just wanna know about performance.

Oh, also, will i still get that nice pshhht between shifts with the auto?

Cheers.

If it means you can't have the skyline if it's manual, but you can if it's auto, then it's a no brainer - get the auto. The skyline will still be heaps more fun than any AU falcon.

cheers Mike

loooooooooooooove the clutch

its all about the clutch. it's like your direct connection to the power.

but agreed, as above, if your option is auto or nothing, go the auto.

Edited by Munkyb0y

My skyline is manual.

It's pretty fun, but there's so many times I want it to be auto...

I'm currently selling it to build my other car, which is going to be staying auto.

Why? I'm getting over the whole clutch thing. When I can smack the loud pedal and have it take off.

Plus the torque multiplication from the torque convertor.

That and as Security is saying, an auto Skyline is 100times easier to launch. Whilst it should technically be half a second slower, when you compare it with great drivers in both. In reality, most people on the road can't launch a car for shit. I'm one of them. I tend to leave the mark either bogged or frying tyres.

I've never frakked a launch up in an auto yet.

Plus, torque convertors don't where out any where near as much as clutches do.

I drive a manual r33 and auto was never an option. If it were i could have bought my car a lot earlier when i had less money n=but i knew i wanted a manual so there was no - oh well i could get a skyline now with the money i have if i get an auto. Auto's are dirt cheap especially nowadays, and to see 33's gtst's going for 10g's really upsets me... lol Cos mine was soo much more! at the end of the day though i knew what i was looking for, low km's, very clean straight stock examlple, series 2 manual. Came form a dealer as i found a lot of private examples at the time to be quite f#cked.

That said i drove an auto r33 gtst for a few months (before i bought mine) and i thought it was loads of fun :) The fact that i was comparing it to my celica i owned at the time prob had something to do with it but i remember i used to absolutely love booting the auto, dropping gears and feeling that boost so smooth through gear changes etc... Felt like a rocket. :thanks:

Honestly if your contemplating an auto you should prob just go it as they are quite fun (reminds me a bit of a vlt though just planting your foot and steering :P ) but nonetheless the auto will be fine for street but if you are gonna consider track days - manual 100%

MAD082 my mate with a stock auto box and just engine mods can beat similiar modded manuals with stock tyres.... end of the day wat do all the top drag cars run....

yes, lets all compare drag cars to road cars. the reason they run autos is because once you start to try to put that much power through a clutch the clutch says good night. also trying to keep a wheelstanding car off the wall is hard enough without having to worry about trying to coordinate your feet and hands for the clutch. and then you usually get taller gear ratios out of the autos so they don't rev up so quick in first gear, which means you aren't leaving the line then straight away having to grab the next gear while still trying to get the car settled.

but not all drag cars are auto. and they usually have ratchet shifters anyway.

the reason your mate can beat similarly modded manuals with stock tyres is that he can drive and the guys in manuals can't. hell when i was at the drags i beat a r33 gts-t in my stock magna in 1 run. but by the end of the night he was running over half a second quicker than at the start of the night. and autos are easier to launch if you aren't a very good driver. but get a good launch in a manual and it will beat the auto. a guy on here took his mates cefiro to the drags the same night as me and he let his cousin have a run in it also. he was about half a second quicker than his cousin cause he launched it better.

tyres, and they probably can't drive. but your auto also isn't stock is it?

i haven't driven a manul yet that you can't snap change (or that you can't change gears without the clutch, both up and down by blipping the throttle at the right rpm). i'm not talking flat change. flat change is not using the clutch and holding the accelerator down, cnap changing is keeping your foot on the gas then kicking the clutch as you change gears, which usually results in frying the rear tyres, and as your clutch gets worn, frying it too.

as for the auto box taking it's time deciding, that depends on what speed you are doing. at certain speeds it will drop back 1 gear then a second half a second later.

my auto box itself is completely standard, i dont even have the upgraded valve body - im waiting on getting the emanage to control the a/t shifts.

im also running shitty 215's on the rears. and im actually making the same, if not quicker times then manuals with the SAME MODS.

at low speeds it will drop to give you the maximum torque. at higher speeds you'll need to drop it into 2nd gear yourself. no dramas there.