SAU Community

P-platers And High-powered Vehicles

blind_elk

Well, it seems there is still confusion about the new regulations, this time from Vicroads themselves.

I was at the East Burwood office, and overheard a young guy - who has a P-licence issued before July 1, 2007 - trying to get a definitive answer before he picks up his R34 GTt tomorrow. According to the Vicroads officer, the new regulations mean that P-platers cannot drive a turbocharged (among others) vehicle on P-plates after July 1 2007. However, if you check the Arive Alive website, it clearly states that if you obtain your P-licence after July 1, 2007, then you can't drive a "restricted vehicle"; if you already have a P-licence, issued before July 1, 2007, then you can drive a vehicle that is restricted after July 1, but is not restricted by the P/W rule.

No wonder road safety in this place in such a stuff-up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you already have a P-licence, issued before July 1, 2007, then you can drive a vehicle that is restricted after July 1, but is not restricted by the P/W rule.

No wonder road safety in this place in such a stuff-up.

That is correct. If you got ur P's before July 1st...then you can drive any turbo charged car, as long as its not over the 125kw per ton P/W law. Unfortunetly 33 and 34 gts-t / gt-t fall over the limit. Thus making it illegal to drive these cars even if you got your license before July 1st.

They didnt "change" the law or implement a new law for people that had there license before July 1st, its always been the law. They have just added 3 points and upped the fine everytime you get picked up.

I am a victim of this as i own a 33 gts-t and i cant drive my car :)

yes thats right its all to do with power to weight ratio, if your car doesnt pass that then you cant drive it, thus all RB25s are over this limit so there for P Platers can not drive 33s on their P's!

my bf was driving my 33 just before july 1 and he had almost finished his p's (he had his p's for almost 3 years) and he got a fine! the highway pet cop said if its an RB25 its too powerfull! highway pet cops are the ones you dont want to pull you over coz they know everything bout these cars :worship:

if you go on to the VICROADS web site you can see what your PWR Power to weight ratio is for your car, and it will tell you if you can drive it or not! and trust me, 32s 33s and 34 turbos dont pass, (more so with extra mods)

people will tell you there is no way around this and your only option is to sell your car!

but believe me ive seen it done with my own eyes!

there is still a loophole! and it works!

yes there is a loophole...

i found this out after applying for an excemption for work use in work times/hours. Vic roads stated there is no excemption for the law for "power to wieght" however if you got your P's before july 1, then there is a "legislation act" by vic roads that states that if you can prove that you are driving the car for work purposes, and you can prove this to the officers that pull you over, then you can walk away free.

This may include a phone call on the spot to ur boss, or a letter from your boss along with the "legislation act" letter that i recieved from vic roads.

However as a P-plater and in a position where i cant loose 1 point for 1 year (on that point bond), i dont feel im in a position to take that risk. At the end of the day it depends who pulls you up and whether the cop is in a bad mood or not...Even if i were to get booked, i could legally contest it in court but thats just a hassle that i cant be bothered dealing with...

Instead my car travels 1km a day with my dad to his work and back and i drive his car to work which is about a 40 min drive for me....Im lucky that my dad did a swap with me until im off my P's

Its just how much risk you want / can take and what position your in really...

yeh, it's ghey, i got 2 points left (lost my first 3 for back P plate falling off on my corolla) and obviously i cant drive my gtr, but my valiant is right on the limit, some books state over some under it, and im too scared to drive it because if a cop does the maths he might come up with the higher figures and i'll lose my licence

suxx

yes there is a loophole...

i found this out after applying for an excemption for work use in work times/hours. Vic roads stated there is no excemption for the law for "power to wieght" however if you got your P's before july 1, then there is a "legislation act" by vic roads that states that if you can prove that you are driving the car for work purposes, and you can prove this to the officers that pull you over, then you can walk away free.

This may include a phone call on the spot to ur boss, or a letter from your boss along with the "legislation act" letter that i recieved from vic roads.

However as a P-plater and in a position where i cant loose 1 point for 1 year (on that point bond), i dont feel im in a position to take that risk. At the end of the day it depends who pulls you up and whether the cop is in a bad mood or not...Even if i were to get booked, i could legally contest it in court but thats just a hassle that i cant be bothered dealing with...

Instead my car travels 1km a day with my dad to his work and back and i drive his car to work which is about a 40 min drive for me....Im lucky that my dad did a swap with me until im off my P's

Its just how much risk you want / can take and what position your in really...

isn't this only the case if you don't have access to another car??

is there still the loophole for people that got their p's after july 1st??

lol VicRoads couldn't organise a root in a brothel let alone get their facts straight.

and trust me, 32s 33s and 34 turbos dont pass, (more so with extra mods)

actually 32 GTSt's are just a touch under the old PWR, R32 GTS4's are heavier, therefore better than the GTSt's... etc. Unless they've changed the PWR limit they should be fine still.

On Sunday morning just past my boss saw a P-Plater bring down a telegraph pole in a 4dr R34 GTT. The rego plate suggests that the thing had only just been registered. It was out east on teh Marondah Highway (Spelling?) He was getting his boogie on until he...um lost it. So, laws or not, ppl will still dirve them if they want...and this guy was proof that perhaps they know what they are sayign when they try to ban P-Platers from these cars :P

While on the subject, I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me even tho it is a bit of a silly question :P

in the sense that you get your p's after the first of july such as now, iv heard alot of crap that you can register a turbo car and drive it with no hassle but that doesn't make sense to me.

the last place i worked at had a guy crapping on about it and it just got me confused haha

im in the market for a r31 anyway so no dramas :sorcerer:

edit: and by register i meant in another person's name not your own

Edited by Jezza-gtR

While on the subject, I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me even tho it is a bit of a silly question :P

in the sense that you get your p's after the first of july such as now, iv heard alot of crap that you can register a turbo car and drive it with no hassle but that doesn't make sense to me.

the last place i worked at had a guy crapping on about it and it just got me confused haha

im in the market for a r31 anyway so no dramas :sorcerer:

edit: and by register i meant in another person's name not your own

lol...

you can register a veyron in your name if thats what you want to do..doesn't mean its legal to drive it on your p's...

drive whatever you want. every place or every person you talk to at vicroads has her/his own damn laws.

you get pulled over and fined for driving a powerful car on your Ps just contest it and tell em to stick to 1 f**king story.

they may have introduced the new laws but coz they're f**kin stupid they've also given people a very good chance of getting away with it for breaking those laws

/rant

I totally disagree with any of these laws, our cars and drivers are among some of the safest on the roads as we have a passion for the cars and a pride for our driving skills.

We are more likely to have our cars checked out when something doesn't feel right (and be able to get it fixed) then some bum bogan driving a steel bodied V8 Kingswood.

Im tipping that my GTR would be able to pull up and turn out of stickey situation a lot faster then most P plater cars.

Just my 2 cents