SAU Community

My Rb30det R32

lwboosted

finnally got my rb30det in and running in my r32 so i thought i would show you guys some pics to let me know what ya think...

here are the mods.

- stock bottom end

- blocked rear oil feed

- rb25 oil pump

- rb25de head (r32)

- gtr valve springs

- stud kit

- 1.6 mm cometic gasket

- new valve stem seals

- sard 550cc injectors

- 040 fuel pump

- gt30r (r31Nismoids old one)

- turbosmart 45mm pro gate

- Z32 AFM

few other bits and pieces...

post-24129-1190615678_thumb.jpgpost-24129-1190615809_thumb.jpg[attachmen

=120786:rb30_dyno.jpg]

engine runs great!! went to dr drift to get it all tuned.. i was hoping for 300rwkw but i only managed 230rwkw on 13psi because i used rubber joiners for the intercooler so i have boost leaks!! as soon as the silicon ones come in i will be going back and uppping the boost to around 17-18psi and see what happens.. what do you guys think?

post-24129-1190616034_thumb.jpg

Edited by lwboosted

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great. Let us know the outcome and any other issues you have to overcome.

Is the external gate feed welded to the stock manifold? If so did that pose any great problems for whoever did it?

Do you know what is the compression ratio and what pistons were used?

Any porting work done?

cheers

yeah traction is a big problem atm.. with my 18s and 255s on the back i dont get any till i am in 4th gear.. LOL!!

i have used a stock bottom end so stock NA pistons.. i used a 1.6mm head gasket so i dont know what the compression ratio works out to be.. round 8:3:1 maybe a bit lower.. and no i had no porting done on the head

i got the manifold and gate on the the first turbo setup i had on the rb20.. it has been cast welded on and is really smooth and done really well!!! i think the manifold has been ported out a bit and were the pipe comes out for the gate is exactly were they all come together... it holds boost really well thats why i have kept it for this setup. and the fact that if i get a dumb cop he thinks it looks stock..

i have taken out the aircon and going to make a intake pipe run down and hide the pod under the powersteering pump.. then put the stock airbox back and run a dummy intake pipe to the other pipe to keep it all looking stock.. only problem i have is the masive gate sticking out the side!! haha i can take some close up pics if u guys want and picks of the intake once i have made it... atm i just have the filter in the front of the turbo..

but i must say i recomend this conversion to every1 owning a r32!! the car drives so much better and takes the slug feel away from the rb20!! when off boost its a completely different car to drive.. and the engine has only costed me $1000 !!

Edited by lwboosted

how so cheap?

stock bottom end, so he didnt change pistons, rings etc so that makes it alot cheaper, and if you can do the labour yourself you save bucks there aswell.

Congrates on the conversion, keep everyone posted when you turn up the wick a little :whistling:

Looks great..

And on a mainline dyno which here typically reads ~10-15rwkw lower than a DD Dyno.

The n/a pistons with a 1.6mm headgasket will drop the static comp to a little under 8:1.

So it should make some reasonable power on pump fuel when you start pushing the boost in to it.

Get those baby cams out of it. (240dur inlet, 232dur exhaust) and you'll pick up a good 25-30rwkw on the same boost once you start pushing over 250rwkwish. :whistling:

It appears to be nosing over a tad quickly.. Is that rpm scale correct? Double checked cam timing as it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to get right due to it being a 'custom' setup.

yeah it turned out so cheap because i did all the work myself and have used a stock bottom end.. and the reason i did that is because i only paid $100 for the complete bottom end and when it blows it will only cost another $100 a slab of beam and a free weekend with mates instead of the thousands of building a built bottom end with a little bit more power that you cant really use anyway..

what sort of price would i be looking at for those cams? they sound like a worthwhile upgrade.. oh and thanks cubes for all your help with the engine couldnt of done it with out your help..

stock ecu remapped by dr drift

what compression ratio did yours turn out to cubes? we have very simillar mods.

Edited by lwboosted

Was devastated we didn't get to wind it up... can't wait to finish it off :P

RPM Scale - This is a guide only and was done as an rpm vs road speed from the tacho.

Tuning was by no means finished, even on minimum boost, due to severe boost leaks :whistling:

Edited by Dr_Drift

Atreyu - yeah i have done everything my self with a lil help from mates.. did the usual stuff to the block as described in the rb30 thread i kept the 1.8mm resister up front and welded the rear up.

dropped the engine in, in one weekend, had it running the sunday night at 1am!! with the help of about 5 mates and 2 slabs of beam... to drop the engine in, i welded up the holes in the mounts and re drilled them 12 mm lower and then put 10 mm spacers between the k frame and the chassy, turned out quiet well.. the strut brace doesnt fit back on but i will just moddify it and make it fit.. i am lucky i have all the equipment available.. did it at my factory where i have a forklift, 2 mig welders and a tig welder so it made my life alot easier!!!

TO4GTR - why do u think i need to upgrade the 040? i i have pleanty of fuel there and i havnt had a problem with surging or anything.. i am still using the stock fuel reg.

Sounds good! I can well imagine having all that gear on hand would make it easier!! Haha! Whats wrong with the 040 pump? I was under the assumption they were a good fuel pump?

How much did the cast pipe on the manifold for the external gate cost?

And is it right in the middle - getting even distribution?

Reason I ask is that I have a spacer for the ext. gate that sits between my turbo and manifold, I havnt put it all on yet but it looks like it may just not fit. But I wanted to place the gate at the most optimum position.

Cheers