SAU Community

Stabbing At Box Hill 711

sillylankan

November 30, 2007

Seventeen-year-old student Ricky Yan Yu from Springvale was killed in a senseless stabbing outside a convenience store in Box Hill late last night.

Police have found a 10-centimetre bloodied knife in bushes outside the store on Whitehorse Road.

Mr Yu was part of a group of eight males drinking in a nearby park. The males were approached by a group of three men and one woman. The two groups began to exchange taunts.

The 17-year-old was rushed to Box Hill Hospital in a critical condition after the stabbing but died a short time later.

It is believed police had worked to keep the youth alive until an ambulance arrived, police spokesman Senior Constable Wayne Wilson said.

Mr Yu's companion, 19, was injured in the attack, and was taken to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

Both victims were stabbed in the upper body, Constable Wilson said.

The stabbing happened outside a convenience store at the corner of Whitehorse Road and Station Street, Box Hill, about 11.40pm yesterday.

Police are searching for one of two cars seen driving away from the area after the stabbing.

They want to speak to the driver of a late model black Mitsubishi Colt hatchback with mag wheels and a large exhaust pipe seen leaving the area after the attack.

The car's rear right-hand side is also damaged.

''We're appealing for the driver of the vehicle to come forward and give themselves up,'' said Detective Senior Sergeant Jeff Maher.

Sergeant Maher said the two groups were not known to each other and the group of victims were not previously known to police.

He said the victims were not part of a gang but were friends who earlier had dinner at a nearby restaurant.

The eight were drinking in a park where they consumed a slab of beer between them.

''The eight, the victims in this case, they were just students with part-time employment. They were just people hanging around in the park in a social atmosphere. We know that they had a meal together and we know that they were having a drink together, and it went from there,'' Detective Senior Sergeant Maher said.

''Definitely they were not gangs and definitely they were not known to (the other group).

''From what we know this is a tragic and unprovoked attack on a 17-year-old and it's a shame _ a young person cut down in the prime of their life.''

Police have multiple video surveillance sources to draw upon, including footage from a nearby shopping centre and from a service station.

''Box Hill has a large volume of video surveillance and we will get to the bottom of this murder and we're asking for the people involved to come forward rather than us going to find them,'' Sergeant Maher said.

Police also called on teenagers to rethink carrying weapons on the streets.

''I want to appeal to these young people carrying knives, it's just pure stupidity and it just ends in tears and this is what it's done in this occasion,'' Sergeant Maher said.

With AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/kni...6037106754.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5005961,00.html

This shit is fuc*ed

Edited by sillylankan

This shit is fuc*ed

the f**ked thing about it is it's starting to become a common occurence round Melbourne. What the hell ever happened to just beating people up :)

They want to speak to the driver of a late model black Mitsubishi Colt hatchback with mag wheels and a large exhaust pipe seen leaving the area after the attack.

The car's rear right-hand side is also damaged.

what a beast even with genuine drift damage

Passion Pop is for the park.

Will be interesting to see if anymore details come to light, and what they might be (if they do).

If it was senseless, pretty harsh. A guy i was good mates with years ago, his little bro was killed by a kid with a umbrella without provocation.

Only got 10 years or something along those lines... which in all honesty is a joke.

I for one, bring back death penalty for that kinda sh|t.

Thats shits f**ked..

People think there gangsters carrying weapon's, utter idiot's..

when i was growing up it was all fist (if there was a fight)

these days people getting chopped like its a new trend

WE NEED TOUGHER PENALTIES ON STREET CRIME!!

if i was a judge id dump his ass in Port Phillip for 25 years and let him count the maggot's that are on the wall

smart guy

Some people are just stupid.

What does stabbing someone prove?

That he's a hard c*nt?

But I also have to question why he's drinking in a park?

It's because of things like this that i dont drink, if your judgement is impaired, your not going to be defending yourself anytime soon.

Anyway I hope the offender/s get caught, and have it handed to them.

R.I.P.

If it was senseless, pretty harsh. A guy i was good mates with years ago, his little bro was killed by a kid with a umbrella without provocation.

Only got 10 years or something along those lines... which in all honesty is a joke.

Yeh i remember that, that was terrible, couldn't beleive it.

man i remember when i was a teenager i used to carry a knife... well actually it was a meat cleaver... and was only carried to keep us OUT of trouble... pretty stupid when i think about it now... BUT it did stop a group of about 30 people bashing me, a couple of mates and a chick i picked up so i guess it wasnt all in vein. (was about 16yo at the time). Only thing i used it on was trees lol

still... very stupid.

you know what they should do... relax the gun laws so we can be like america and all carry guns! That will counter act all those dangerous knives on the streets! problem solved!!! :rofl:

Passion Pop is for the park.

.... Do they even sell passion pop anymore?

Two groups arc up at each other, and it looks like one kid got in the middle to bust it up, and got killed for his trouble.

Damn, people need to take themselves less seriously.

Almost makes you wish the kids were smoking pot instead. Then the only argument would be about who had to call up pizza hut.

And it took a passing motorist to try to bandage him up. Give that guy maximum credit. Saw a brawl, pulled over, helped the kid out (although he didn't save him) and probably stopped further deaths by breaking the fight up with his presence. It's great to see that not everyone just ignores people in trouble. Give that man an award. We need more people willing to help out others in trouble.

So....there will be Tupac, west side and east side shit? :) J/K. It'll be along time for such to happen mate.

Sudanese have started popping up everywhere. I duno, its probably me noticing them as they stick out heaps with their Dada/Fubu outfits, really tall with small heads.

just a quick question --------->> is there a capital punishment (death penality) in aus???

thats a no..

last man executed was Ronald Ryan or something late sixties at the old pentdrige(sp?) i believe..

just a quick question --------->> is there a capital punishment (death penality) in aus???

if not....maybe its the time for the gov to think about it

We're debating about whether we should bring capital punishment back to Australia in my english class.

The question is though, if we bring it back, doesnt that condone murder?

And what does that teach the offender?

Don't want to start a whole debate here but just some food for thought.