SAU Community

M35 Towing Capacity

autech_axis

Hello,

Well I asked my dealer that exact question as I wanted a towbar to carry the kids bikes, didnt really need to tow anything. I wanted it on my AXIS.

He told me it is not as easy as the Series 1 & 2 Stageas, As there is a lot of components where the bar would normally get welded, apparently there is a pump for the drive line or some sort of fluid transfer case. "Please correct me someone if I am wrong"

He said it can be done but it is a lot of work. Surely they do it in Japan

If you find out more I would really like to know, I need to carry the bikes.

I was going to ring Carasel out liverpool way, they did a great job in my 4WD, maybe they can do something.

Jules

Edited by Paramour

Hello,

Well I asked my dealer that exact question as I wanted a towbar to carry the kids bikes, didnt really need to tow anything. I wanted it on my AXIS.

He told me it is not as easy as the Series 1 & 2 Stageas, As there is a lot of components where the bar would normally get welded, apparently there is a pump for the drive line or some sort of fluid transfer case. "Please correct me someone if I am wrong"

He said it can be done but it is a lot of work. Surely they do it in Japan

If you find out more I would really like to know, I need to carry the bikes.

I was going to ring Carasel out liverpool way, they did a great job in my 4WD, maybe they can do something.

Jules

I am trying to remain positive! Although now planning to buy another car - probably a Land Rover!

There would appear to be some kind of pump right where a normal towbar would attach. I think it would be tricky and expensive to fit a towbar, but - when and if I finally get to drive the car - I will take it up to the local towbar place, who make them from scratch rather than just look through a catalogue - and get their opinion. I think the Subaru Liberty / Outback wagons tow around 1500-1800 kg so I assumed the Stagea might be the same. Although without closer inspection it's impossible to tell. I don't recall seeing one on any of Nissan Japan's options lists.

I've been quoted $420 NZ for a towbar by a guy who has fitted to m35 before. Is a lot of work yes. 2 tonnes is the limit but sensibly the weight of the car braked and 750 kg unbraked.

If you do decide to get one before us, could you be so kind as to take a pic so we can see where they have welded it etc. I will return the favour if I get it done first.

Jules

• 1 year later...

Was just about to start a new thread but saw there was a topic about towbar's for M35 so though I would add to it instead.

I was told today that some one in Sydney now has a design to fit a tow bar to the M35. I do not know the specifics of the tow bar or the cost yet but I believe that will be available soon.

My reliable source was Ben, at North Shore Prestige.

Looking better all the time.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 years later...

Well guys I might be throwing a spanner in the works.

I currently have a 2001 Jackaroo 3.0L Diesel for my tow car rated at 2500kg braked capacity with an Hayman Reece Receiver Hitch and have been looking at replacing it with an M35 Stagea.

I just contacted Fast Fit Towbars in Sydney (02) 9569 4217 and put the question to them. They tell me they have fitted towbars to the M35, but with a max capacity of 1200kg braked.

It would be excellent if I could get up to about 2000kg, so if anybody finds information above 1200kg, I would be very interested.

Cheers, D

I have the Fast Fit one installed and its very nice but you're right its a 1200kg max load. I must say however though that the installation quality is impressive. Its all hidden behind the rear bumper so it is very clean and they installed it within about 3 hours on a Saturday morning for me.

I doubt you'll get more than 1200kg on the back of an M35, mostly because there is no rigid chassis back there to bolt it to. If you hang more than 1200kg off the back of a Stag you will probably bend the body.

I'm also looking at a M35, and it would top it off if I could tow my racecar on it. I did read on here that it could be done, but needed reinforcment? any details or price on that?

My mate tows his racecar with a vt commodore equipped with rear airbags, and that tows fine. I don't see why the M35 wouldn't be able too, it's heavier, more hp & torque, awd with the equivelent of a centre diff lock, and you can easily get with with a LSD.

There are several good shops over here on the shore, two I have spoken to about my rwd 300 recently and both claim to have fitted units before.

All I need to tow is a large trailer with either two road bikes or three dirt bikes + gear. Both confirmed that this would be no problem so I'll be getting one fitted at some point soon.

"A1 Exhaust & Towbar" or "North Shore Towbars" here on the shore in NZ would be the dudes to call for specs and limits.

I have the Fast Fit one installed and its very nice but you're right its a 1200kg max load. I must say however though that the installation quality is impressive. Its all hidden behind the rear bumper so it is very clean and they installed it within about 3 hours on a Saturday morning for me.

I doubt you'll get more than 1200kg on the back of an M35, mostly because there is no rigid chassis back there to bolt it to. If you hang more than 1200kg off the back of a Stag you will probably bend the body.

price?