SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Hey guys, I'm tired, when I get tired I over eat... looking for energy. When I drink coffee I'm not tired so I don't overeat.

I'm not tired all the time but right now quite a bit because recent start of full time work plus gym.

Do I over eat or get a coffee dependence? What do you think is worse? I'm eating enough, I don't need the extra food. I'm getting 8.5 hours of sleep a night and I can complete a workout fine, but I still wake up tired enough to constantly nom on things like a trail mix. I try to keep it healthy but it's still sugar and sometimes goes bad.

I do this too... I try to find a happy medium between too much coffee or too much food... the coffee route is tempting but too much makes me agitated and not able to deal with stress well... and I'm not as lean as I'd like to be so I try not to snack too much... I do both more when bored as well

now when I'm feeling low on energy I go for a walk instead of doing either of the above two... nothing strenuous, a 30-40min stroll.... I refuse to call it exercise or wear 'gym' clothes to do it though... I find sitting at a desk makes me tired... the walk wakes me up

days when I have a big training session are fine... I can drink a bit more coffee and have a small snack and then train really hard... this deals with any agitation from the coffee and the snack is good fuel (banana or nuts etc)

a couple of coffees a day is good for you... high in antioxidents... just don't add sugar and your golden... long macchiato, nectar of the gods

Hey guys, I'm tired, when I get tired I over eat... looking for energy. When I drink coffee I'm not tired so I don't overeat.

I'm not tired all the time but right now quite a bit because recent start of full time work plus gym.

Do I over eat or get a coffee dependence? What do you think is worse? I'm eating enough, I don't need the extra food. I'm getting 8.5 hours of sleep a night and I can complete a workout fine, but I still wake up tired enough to constantly nom on things like a trail mix. I try to keep it healthy but it's still sugar and sometimes goes bad.

Avoid night time extra coffee, eat a night time/before bed snack. Lots different options. You can have a little bowl of warm oats mixed with some berries. You can add some vanilla flavour pure protien powder to that (one without the carbs). That will fix you.

That's it! I'm trying to instill this in my training partner at the moment...he's chasing quick gains (like all impatient gym noobs) and currently swearing by his pre-workout poison, I'm swearing by proper eating throughout the day.

yea yea I need to eat/sleep more I know :P

Well last workout I pulled 150, so I have stepped up by 5 in one workout...which is half a week...I'm just concerned about losing form quickly with these kind of increments. Had lower back pain 2 years ago, so half of me says it's a miracle you're even able to do this lift at a decent weight...you should be happy with what youre doing, stahp etc...the other half says keep going and find out what you're capable of. Maybe 2.5 per session, i.e. 5 a week would be a good start...or put it up by 5 and then repeat the lift later in the week.

160 would be double bodyweight, which is a nice benchmark for me. Been deadlifting for nearly a year now - just 3 sets of 10, twice a week.

160 as of tonight! And weighing in at 79.7kg...that's double bodyweight :D

Had a couple onlookers stop their exercising to watch me (perks of lifting in a family gym) - probably shocked by how much weight was on the bar and wondering if I could lift it. Meanwhile, I'm thinking this is nothing compared to what the guys at PTC are pulling, which certainly helps with the mental side of things.

Bring on the next big benchmark: the two hunj. I'd like to be 1RMing at least 200 before I jump into a PTC comp. I think it's doable by April/May...

I thought you had a cup of Harden the f**k up and that was fixed?

It has made a massive difference but I still think its a huge adjustment to doing heavy work outs 4 times a week when I have come from pretty much nothing. Have always needed more sleep than most so when interruptions come along like a few late nights/early starts plus long commutes it can take it's toll. Plus my levels can fluctuate, especially testosterone. Don't get me wrong, I'm five billion times better than I used to be but not as good as I need to be while making a living.

Drink coffee. Appetite suppressant

This is what I was thinking. Just need to cut out the 'need' so that I can control my intake to more healthy foods. Today I pret much consumed 1/3 of a big bag of trail mix by lunch time. Too much and not really the foods I need.

I do this too... I try to find a happy medium between too much coffee or too much food... the coffee route is tempting but too much makes me agitated and not able to deal with stress well... and I'm not as lean as I'd like to be so I try not to snack too much... I do both more when bored as well

now when I'm feeling low on energy I go for a walk instead of doing either of the above two... nothing strenuous, a 30-40min stroll.... I refuse to call it exercise or wear 'gym' clothes to do it though... I find sitting at a desk makes me tired... the walk wakes me up

days when I have a big training session are fine... I can drink a bit more coffee and have a small snack and then train really hard... this deals with any agitation from the coffee and the snack is good fuel (banana or nuts etc)

a couple of coffees a day is good for you... high in antioxidents... just don't add sugar and your golden... long macchiato, nectar of the gods

I agree on the bored thing, never want to come home with a nothing to do evening. Lucky most days there's gym!

I only really need one cup atm and only instant which is pretty weak but I still hate depending on things. Suppose it's the price of being in control with tiredness. I can always go on and off but feel as though if I'm on an off day and I'm feeling cranky I'll just assume its from no coffee so I'll drink one when it may not have been the problem.

Would love to go for little walks around the block, even just 5 minutes to shake my muscles up... Although I'm in stilettos at work -_- boss would probably be cool with it though if I brought sneakers.

Might test it out for a week on the days I feel I need it and see if it makes a big enough difference to my quality of eating. Like you say a couple of cups a day is ok, there's no real evidence that a small amount of caffeine is detrimental to your health so I think it's worth it.

Thanks gais! :)

I feel that anything that your body starts to become dependant on to help get you through the day is not a good thing.. Maybe diet needs to be looked at a bit closer IMO

That's just my opinion

160kg is good birds.. Continue dead lifting regularly and you should improve considerably more I would say

Would love to go for little walks around the block, even just 5 minutes to shake my muscles up... Although I'm in stilettos at work -_- boss would probably be cool with it though if I brought sneakers.

Might test it out for a week on the days I feel I need it and see if it makes a big enough difference to my quality of eating. Like you say a couple of cups a day is ok, there's no real evidence that a small amount of caffeine is detrimental to your health so I think it's worth it.

I meant real coffee... instant coffee is :sick:

can you take casual shoes and go for a walk on your lunch break?

Birds: no need to set yourself goals 'before you compete'... you'll probably find you get a PR at a comp anyway with the adrenalin and good equipment... and its great motivation for training... I'd just rock up to one of the novice comps and have a lift

Had a bit of a competition between me and my gym partner after we did our 5x5 deadlifts.. as per usaual for some bragging rights :D

idea was to get as many reps of 100kg as possible without changing grip

New PB today, got 19 out ;)

Had a bit of a competition between me and my gym partner after we did our 5x5 deadlifts.. as per usaual for some bragging rights :D

idea was to get as many reps of 100kg as possible without changing grip

New PB today, got 19 out ;)

Define "changing" grip. Do you mean swapping hands with alternate grip, or just gripping the bar again as your hands start to slip?

Define "changing" grip. Do you mean swapping hands with alternate grip, or just gripping the bar again as your hands start to slip?

Nope just the one style of grip (i went alternate) and no stopping for re-adjusment

I told you ass hats...

The findings, by an international team of researchers, suggest muscular strength is as important as staying slim and eating healthily when it comes to protecting the body against deadly tumours.

The scientists who came up with the findings are recommending men weight train at least twice a week, exercising muscle groups in both the upper and lower body.

In recent years, experts have recommended a healthy diet and lifestyle - including regular aerobic exercise such as jogging or cycling to reduce the risks of the disease.

But the latest study, published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, suggests it may be just as important to build up muscle strength.

A team of experts, led by scientists from Sweden's Karolinska Institute, tracked the lifestyles of 8,677 men aged between 20 and 82 for more than two decades.

Each volunteer had regular medical check ups that included tests of their muscular strength.

Between 1980 and 2003, researchers monitored how many developed cancer and subsequently died from it.

The results showed men who regularly worked out with weights and had the highest muscle strength were between 30 and 40 per cent less likely to lose their life to a deadly tumour.

Even among volunteers who had excess tummy fat or a high body mass index, regular weight training seemed to have a protective effect.

In a report on their findings the researchers stressed keeping a healthy weight was still crucial for avoiding premature death.

But they added: "In the light of these results, it is equally important t to maintain healthy muscular strength levels.

"It's possible to reduce cancer mortality rates in men by promoting resistance training involving the major muscle groups at least two days a week."

TL.DR ?? Squats cure cancer

Nope just the one style of grip (i went alternate) and no stopping for re-adjusment

Impressive :P I reckon I could get 15 if I pushed it, though the lower back pump and subsequent cramping and potential irritation of my SIJ are enough to put me off trying it any time soon :P

I told you ass hats...

TL.DR ?? Squats cure cancer

Prevent*

The day I see a balding kid doing ATG, I'll stand corrected...and I'm not talking about Nick...

Sorry bud :P

Impressive :P I reckon I could get 15 if I pushed it, though the lower back pump and subsequent cramping and potential irritation of my SIJ are enough to put me off trying it any time soon :P

dont be a sook Troy, give it a go :D haha

do it after your 5x5s though.. nice and warm by then :P

dont be a sook Troy, give it a go :D haha

do it after your 5x5s though.. nice and warm by then :P

Might try this myself for comparison. I regularly train in the 10 rep range and 90 is my warm up weight. I'll take a guess at 15 too.

I suggest we have forum challenges like they do on some others.

suggestions.

Body weight squats for reps

bodyweight bench for rep

100kg deadlift for reps

chins for reps?

50% bodyweight for overhead press for reps?

Other forums make the competitors film the attempt... up to you guys if you want this or not.

Winner to get photo taking tips from Birds.

Edited by TTT