SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

just like everything involved with lifting I'm sure it's painful, uncomfortable and will leave a bruise or make me bleed

belt is interesting... helps stop me getting bent in half while squatting... although its pretty uncomfortable... only been using it for the heavier sets 140kg+

haven't deadlifted with it yet

10% is a good BF figure IMO. I'm hovering around what I guess is 9-10% these days. It's not difficult to maintain once you're there. However, I am more susceptible to colds than I used to be and very sensitive to temperature changes. I swear sweat like a bitch (ask Leigh). Lowest I got to was, I could only guess 7-8% and I struggled to get through workouts at this. Bad calorie deficit.

I assume you meat sweat, and yes you do.

You should bring a towel you sweaty bastard :P

Edited by UNR33L

just like everything involved with lifting I'm sure it's painful, uncomfortable and will leave a bruise or make me bleed

belt is interesting... helps stop me getting bent in half while squatting... although its pretty uncomfortable... only been using it for the heavier sets 140kg+

haven't deadlifted with it yet

I used a belt on top sets last cycle but this time I've made a point of not using it while doing heavier stuff.

Guy in gym yesterday had his belt on doing quarter 60kg squats because he didn't want to hurt his back..

Edited by jangles

this is a far too common opinion... people fail to realise if you strengthen the muscles that run either side of your spine (the ones that protect it) your chance of injuring your back are massively reduced... people that hurt their back tying their shoes or getting out of bed did so due to years of sitting and inactivity... it wasn't the act of lifting incorrectly it was due to the fact your back muscles are non-existant and therefore your spine is completely unprotected

people used to lift and carry all the time... we're built for it... cars, chairs etc have ruined us... just look around, we have to be the worst examples of human beings in the history of evolution

the amount of fatties at the beach this summer was a disgrace... dressed head to toe as god forbid some sun touches their flabby pale bodies... then they probably get told by doctors to take vitamin D supps

Agree with you. On the side, I don't mind if some of these "fatties" stay covered up lol. Yeah I like to think that by exercising regularly we're staying in touch with our nature...the problem is choice. People have never had more choice to take the lazy way out. You can live your whole life these days without lifting more than your subway sandwich. It's only gonna get worse and worse as more things become automated.

We might be living longer, but quality of life is rapidly turning to shit.

Feel so gooood after my sets. Double checked my weight, on the gym scales this time as I didn't quite believe it. 105kg @ 201cm.

Now the aim is to convert 5 from a v.small section on my hips to muscle mass (obviously can't spot reduce but when that area has changed I'll be happy). Down to size 37, was once upon a time a tight 42.

All this deadlift talk has me planning on taking in my locking knee braces & trying out.... otherwise they just want to collapse.

Lifting hard, feeling damn fine ;)

You've increased you intake recently and still maintaining but with more energy?

Do you plan on increasing intake if needed to increase your lifts? If/when that happens?

Low bf's can be maintained but require a closer look into what you're consuming. Just eating 'clean' or 'healthy' wouldn't be my choice. As Birds said, his deficit had its side effects.

Pretty much. I was ~8% (just guessing from comparing pics) before I increased my intake recently. Have gained a kg and probably up to around 10% now, at a guess. But workouts are much easier to get through and I'm making strength gains again. If I plateau again, I might start upping the intake again, but I'm liking 10%, so hopefully not. I think 8% was just too unrealistic to maintain when trying to do the same exercise routine / weights. Left me fatigued as shit. Probably helps I'm not the cleanest eater, so you can imagine what sort of deficit it was to maintain that. It was 3 meals a day plus protein shakes. Now sitting on 4 meals a day plus protein.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that people over complicate shit, with calorie counting diets etc. All I did was add a meal...simple as that. I think it's good to know the science behind it all, but people put way too much time and practice into it. Are you training to be a nutritionist or a good looking lifter? It doesn't need to be that complicated, that exact, because it isn't. I pinch my stomach regularly...if I feel like I'm getting more skin than normal, I cut down on the bad shit and add some cardio. If I'm struggling to lift at the gym, I eat more food (How much more Birds? Shut the f**k up and eat until you can lift more!). You don't need an iPhone app to tell you what is good and bad food and how much. Never counted a calorie in my life and I never will - your eyes are the best measuring tool you'll ever have, as long as you're not a teenage girl about it.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that people over complicate shit, with calorie counting diets etc. All I did was add a meal...simple as that. I think it's good to know the science behind it all, but people put way too much time and practice into it. Are you training to be a nutritionist or a good looking lifter? It doesn't need to be that complicated, that exact, because it isn't. I pinch my stomach regularly...if I feel like I'm getting more skin than normal, I cut down on the bad shit and add some cardio. If I'm struggling to lift at the gym, I eat more food (How much more Birds? Shut the f**k up and eat until you can lift more!). You don't need an iPhone app to tell you what is good and bad food and how much. Never counted a calorie in my life and I never will - your eyes are the best measuring tool you'll ever have, as long as you're not a teenage girl about it.

Very true and I agree down to before you pinch yourself.

Knowing what you should be eating allows the gains to be more likely muscle and not fat. You can somewhat get away with it because of the years you've done it and the condition you're in.

Not knowing youre in a ridiculous deficit would be a bad thing wouldn't it?

Knowing it allows you to be at your peak and enjoy 'naughty food'

I'm just talking about optimisation and in a quicker way, which is what most want. And it's sustainable.

Knowing for me allows me to not care and eat what I want really.

See, what I'm saying is that you can know all that stuff without all the technical bullshit. You just have to pay attention to the clues; listen to your body instead of an iPhone. People try to make an exact science out of something that doesn't need to be.

Waiting for someone to tell me what they can do or achieve with their calorie counting that I can't just by looking in the mirror and keeping track of the weights I lift. I can and do teach anyone to do this by the way, it has nothing to do with how long I've been doing it for or the condition I'm in.

Yeah I guess it's never been an issue with you because you've never tried to lift as big as you can.

Just regulating it via food and the weight lifted.

I still think time plays a massive part though. 9 years you've been at it? Maintaining you don't have any goals as such, so you're not trying to achieve any feats. if you get 'fatter' than what you like you can just switch back to what you've always done and sacrifice something.

What if you wanted to hit 200kg deads, whilst maintaining same bf percentage and not feeling fatigued and eating your favorite foods?

Do you think it would be worth knowing a bit more about what the make up of your food is? To achieve it quicker?

A lot of people do cuts, lose strength, get cranky and it only lasts a month because it's not sustainable

How do you think people did it before they had iPhone apps? It's easy mate. It works like this: ice cream not so good, big steak good.

Another 45kg and I will hit 200kg deads, at the same body fat, whilst eating all the foods I love, and not a single calorie was counted that day. Watch this space.

I get what you're saying here, that the most efficient way to reach your goals is to science things up...I agree. But the input is not worth the output. The edge is SFA, particularly at amateur level. There's a difference between a bodybuilder or olympian with his own team of dietitians and trainers, and average joe who scans every bit of food he eats into my fitness pal and spends 30 minutes a day contemplating his diet, when I won't give it more than 30 seconds. That's time that could be spent lifting or eating.

Double checked my weight, on the gym scales this time as I didn't quite believe it. 105kg @ 201cm.

Lifting hard, feeling damn fine ;)

Well done dude! Keep going you are hitting your goals very quickly. Time to set some more ha ha...

I just got back from overseas (2 weeks) and honestly my body was dying for some shit food. I came back 2kg lighter, looked bigger, leaner and still maintained my weight in the gym.

For 2 weeks I ate around 5000 calories or more a day across 3 meals. One meal I remember eating was a large pizza (big), few large slices of cake and a whole sea food platter. Most meals were buffets :D

For such a long time I had maintained a strict diet without changing it at all. This change had really shocked my body.

What if you wanted to hit 200kg deads, whilst maintaining same bf percentage and not feeling fatigued and eating your favorite foods?

Do you think it would be worth knowing a bit more about what the make up of your food is? To achieve it quicker?

Good to find out whats in food and what you need if you have never done it. A log also helps to track things for some people.

Birds is likely to know how much of what he needs and why so doesn't need to drill into every day, is what I think he is saying.

I can understand if someone worried about what weight they are to lift 200kg deads. Bodyfat % ? I don't think we are talking a sound mind there ha ha...

Does this deadlift make me look fat?

Edited by rev210

How do you think people did it before they had iPhone apps? It's easy mate. It works like this: ice cream not so good, big steak good.

Another 45kg and I will hit 200kg deads, at the same body fat, whilst eating all the foods I love, and not a single calorie was counted that day. Watch this space.

I get what you're saying here, that the most efficient way to reach your goals is to science things up...I agree. But the input is not worth the output. The edge is SFA, particularly at amateur level. There's a difference between a bodybuilder or olympian with his own team of dietitians and trainers, and average joe who scans every bit of food he eats into my fitness pal and spends 30 minutes a day contemplating his diet, when I won't give it more than 30 seconds. That's time that could be spent lifting or eating.

Oh shit no, I wasnt referring to what an app or whatever says. I couldn't care less for that. I guess you do what Im saying already anyway by knowing what's good and bad and how much you can and can't eat anyway. Ive been referring to knowing in your head. But you've learnt that still.

I think starting something with the optimal way to achieve it = quicker results = people falling in love with it and not giving up.

But anyway.... We're done now haha

Dude, i've never counted calories, lifted a lot more than 200kg's, whilst being lean, and eating my favourite foods.

It's called research, look at what works, and follow it.

I can't believe how many times it's been said on this forum, but people don't seem to listen. The ones that do make good gains, the ones that don't keep looking for this little edge, which they'll never find.

Everyone knows what good food is, and, if you don't, well, i'd start researching right now

In fact, i'm going to put up something that will hopefully be stickied, so there is no ambiguity about what food is good and bad.

I know what i can and cant do? i have looked at what works, i follow it.

Lifting big and being lean is what i like

It was just a question to birds who has maintained for years, now upping his diet and weights really.

casual chat which has gone off the thread intent.

so...

This thread is getting massively off topic guys, perhaps we should discuss in the general thread lol.

Maybe we should rename the other thread to just "Diet and supplement discussion" and then start a "Fitness whorethread" for what essentially amounts to an onslaught of spam.

This...