SAU Community

suspension, what to go for if i do it?

hey guys, im thinking of lowering my car, i love how the stock suspension rides and launches though which is the only thing holding me back however i think my car will look a lot better lower, want it as legally low as possible, do i just get springs ? whats the go ? not sure ho3w suspension works when upgrading, i know springs lower the car and shocks hold the car thats been lowered form bottoming out ? is that true i dunno hehe

cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for a quality set of shocks like Bilstein or Koni, and some nice lowered springs like king springs or Whiteline and it will ride nice and handle well. Should set you back $1200-$1300ish. Not sure how low you can go, I would probably settle for 30mm lower. Check the Whiteline site for different options and prices.

thanks, yer koni quoted me $1800 for their stuff but someone told me its around $1300 fitted soi im confused now, i am willing to spend around $1300 but yer anymore i dont see it being worth it till the caqrs paid off... that was directy from koni and from a place near my house that quoted 1800... hmm

Never priced koni s, but you can get the Bilsteins for under a grand front and rear which leaves the springs which are about 300 ish. The Koni shocks do have the advantage of being adjustable if you are that way inclined. You could buy a spring compresser from Repco for $45 and do it yourself. Then you only have to pay for the wheel alignment afterwards. Its pretty easy, just a little time consuming which is why labour costs can be a little rich.

what suspension whiteline uses? I read an hpi old article, they use bilstein for their handling kit, is that correct?

how does bilstein ride on bumpy road? dun want my daily driver to be so stiff on my back...

Whiteline use Bilstein Shocks in there kits and they charge $1350 delivered, not bad.

I have only heard good things about them I'm looking at getting the sports pack from Whiteline in the next couple of weeks.

DIY nath.. you have plenty of time now :P

Just make sure you also replace the shocks with the springs. Some people just replace the springs to save a few $, which effectively reduces the life of the shocks, and overall efficiency of the whole setup

I got Whiteline springs with Bilstein shocks (both from Whiteline) but for some reason the front springs are 10mm lower than the back. I don't know if this was deliberate or not but it looks pretty good this way so I'm not complaining.

You don't need a spring compressor at all to fit this suspension. I just used my own body weight to compress the spring about 2cm.

Have you guys ever thought about upgrading your swaybars asw ell?? As a bang for you buck, these alone will make your car handle better then just lowered springs and shocks. Some of you will bw saying like WTF? It's true as whiteline have done heaps of R&D on these. Springs and shocks are good but really need to work as a package with your swaybars aswell as these decrease your body roll and make the car sit flatter around the corner. DJ_L3thal, if your happy with how your car launches and all, consider doing the swaybars first or all at the same time.

I can back up what Honey has said - I did the swaybars on my Commodore and it made it handle like a Skyline :) (well, almost!)

I would have gotten swaybars for my Skyline before the shocks and springs, but the old suspension was totally buggered so I didn't have much choice with limited funds. The other thing too is that the stock Skyline swaybars are much better than factory Commodore ones, so there's probably more room for improvement on the latter.