SAU Community

New Plug-in Ecu Coming

Lets put this into perspective...

If MoTeC announced it was releasing the M800 in a straight plug in to suit most versions of Skyline, with all the add-on's for $2500 you guys would be raving about it.

:P

This ECU is more suited to the driver/owner who wants a little more from their car, attends regular track days and is involved with the modification process of their vehicle. If your car is tuned and its a set and forget daily driver then yes it may be a little hard to justify the additional expense.

Well i wouldn't be :P

come on Paul u know everyone wants everything for nothing, its the usual deal why do u think all these china products are so popular lol, u will find the serious people will be very happy with the price and are happy to save 2k instead of buying a motec, etc.

I believe in spending money where its useful, not where it is not.

When your on a budget, even 10k.

Saving $1000 might mean a set of cams, more head work, better turbo, manifold or a whole range of things.

Especially when its meant to 'compete' with a PFC, all its doing is competing in a bloated market IMO.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i wouldn't be :ninja:

I believe in spending money where its useful, not where it is not.

When your on a budget, even 10k.

Saving $1000 might mean a set of cams, more head work, better turbo, manifold or a whole range of things.

Especially when its meant to 'compete' with a PFC, all its doing is competing in a bloated market IMO.

You really need to go back and read the thread...before you answer sometimes.

This ECU (as stated many times) IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. The typical 'boy racer' will not be interested in the aditional functions and loves the 'game boy' hand controller stapped to their dash to give them a flashing light and number to indicate their engine is destroying itself.

The first engine blow up may change their mind. I dont care...its more work for my engine shop :blink:

Edited by DiRTgarage

Well hopefully they come up with a cross between

autronicdash.jpg

and

ADL-OnWhite(385x200).jpg

People say that the hand controllers are wank etc, but they are good things for live readouts of engine parameters that you can check on the fly, water temp, peak knock,...pretty basic but i value all the info i can get when wringing an engines neck at the track.

The fact that this already communicates to lots of locally available ECUs, to the point that Haltec actually sell them with their logo on them...

4511-MXL-STRADA_MED.jpg

Then it may be a quick and easy means of getting a good live readout and logging ability for the ECU.

Also, looking at their website it is the spitting image of the old Autronic website, with the old Autronic website now down, with autronic.com (no au) referring you to the new ViPEC website. So what does this mean for Autronic from here on in? It seems that this new ECU range is barging Autronic aside, is this a result of split of staff/owners?

You really need to go back and read the thread...before you answer sometimes.

This ECU (as stated many times) IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. The typical 'boy racer' will not be interested in the aditional functions and loves the 'game boy' hand controller stapped to their dash to give them a flashing light and number to indicate their engine is destroying itself.

The first engine blow up may change their mind. I dont care...its more work for my engine shop :)

You put PowerFC in the title didnt ya?

You've also been the one comparing it to the PFC in a number of posts in your own thread... not me :(

This ECU just falls into the pool of others, and a few that already come from AUS :banana:

Haltech

Microtech

Hawk

EMS

AEM/Wolf

Autronic

Motec

Link

And other ECU's that dont come to mind at the moment (ive probably forgotten some)

Obviously its better/worse than some above, but it doesnt seem to be setting a new level or anything above whats already on the market

Its just another choice for people and not a lot than that, if anything no-one knows how to use it... so its limiting the market already as with any new product. So rightly people will stand by what they have been using for many years, as they know it works and know how to make it work.

Good on them for making a new product and so on, taking nothing away there at all.

You put PowerFC in the title didnt ya?

You've also been the one comparing it to the PFC in a number of posts in your own thread... not me :(

This ECU just falls into the pool of others, and a few that already come from AUS :banana:

Haltech

Microtech

Hawk

EMS

AEM/Wolf

Autronic

Motec

Link

And other ECU's that dont come to mind at the moment (ive probably forgotten some)

Obviously its better/worse than some above, but it doesnt seem to be setting a new level or anything above whats already on the market

Its just another choice for people and not a lot than that, if anything no-one knows how to use it... so its limiting the market already as with any new product. So rightly people will stand by what they have been using for many years, as they know it works and know how to make it work.

Good on them for making a new product and so on, taking nothing away there at all.

All i said is it was a better ECU than Power fc...Which it is...far superior product...its actually everybody else who is doing the comparisons not me.

Have a look at their website...the spec's sheet will show its a step above most of the ones you listed...with a processor speed DOUBLE anything else on the market.

You really need to just step back and have a read before going into 'keyboard warrior' mode Ash. :)

Im not in any mode :)

Just pointing out that its sitting in a very tight market as it is, and i don't believe it will really impact the market substantially.

I'd be happy to see it excel and overtake if its such a good item mate, just dont think it will.

Its my view, and i think its fair.

Lets put this into perspective...

If MoTeC announced it was releasing the M800 in a straight plug in to suit most versions of Skyline, with all the add-on's for $2500 you guys would be raving about it.

:)

This ECU is more suited to the driver/owner who wants a little more from their car, attends regular track days and is involved with the modification process of their vehicle. If your car is tuned and its a set and forget daily driver then yes it may be a little hard to justify the additional expense.

Motec are actually one or two months away from releasing the skyline adaptors and they will be very near the price you mention.

THey are also only 6-12 months away from releasing their new range of ECU's which are far superior than the M800.

I think it's great that there is yet another option out there for people to choose from. No, it will not be competittive with the price tag on the FC but it will be competitive on the track where it counts.

Wait on now. The plug in version for the Skylines is based on the V44 ECU/Motherboard. So shouldn't that in theory make the price cheaper...???? $1540 for the V44...?

Taken from the ViPEC website.

Nissan Skyline (RB20, RB25, RB26). Replacement ECU board.

Based on the V44 model ECU

And as Paul mentioned before the plug-in ECU based on the V44 have six injector and six ignition outputs so its not like the V44's are limited to 4 cylinder cars.

Then again he did list this also:

Nissan GT-R (R32-R34) (V88)

Nissan GTS (R32-R33) (V88)

Clarification please.

Edited by KeyMaker

it will be competitive on the track where it counts.

Exactly

I will be in Sydney today and will be having a meeting with the state distributor, I also picked up the Skyline plug-in is based on the V44 instead of the V88 as previously stated and is one of the questions i have for them. Will confirm this and pricing tonight when i return.

Motec are actually one or two months away from releasing the skyline adaptors and they will be very near the price you mention.

THey are also only 6-12 months away from releasing their new range of ECU's which are far superior than the M800.

Slightly off topic, but is this true? Where does this info come from?

I think it's great that there is yet another option out there for people to choose from. No, it will not be competittive with the price tag on the FC but it will be competitive on the track where it counts.

Touche!

I will reserve judgment until I have downloaded and read through the entire instruction manual.

Something far more complicated may not actually be "better" if it is a bastard to set up, and the supporting documentation really poor. Availability of after sales help will be another factor that will either make or break this product.

Great idea though, just hope it can live up to the promise.

Me, I will wait twelve months and see how this goes before taking the plunge.

with a processor speed DOUBLE anything else on the market.

errmm not true, Wolf V5 has been out for a couple of years and has virtually the same running speed, can't speak for other ecu's tho.

This was what I was eluding to earlier, compare features & price between ecu's and you'll see its already at a price disadvantage considering very similar specs.

I think this ECU will be good for those in the market for a Motec / Autronic etc etc. But I do not think its going to make people remove their power fc's if they don't need to... so its not going to take off as the new "cult ecu"

I would still like to see one Paul.... some of the features are sexy

you're saying the m44 is cheaper and a better deal for the skyline? I don't think so, because if it only has 4 drivers, that means you have to fire fuel om the back of valves and I don't like doing that.

At least the Powerfc has 6 drivers.

My guess is that the P & P version will have 6 drivers, just the same as the SM4 P&P. $1500 now were talking. As far as processing speed is concerned, IMO i have never seen it be an issue. We fitted an SMC to a turbo bike, and the revs didnt upset anything?

My guess is that the P & P version will have 6 drivers, just the same as the SM4 P&P. $1500 now were talking. As far as processing speed is concerned, IMO i have never seen it be an issue. We fitted an SMC to a turbo bike, and the revs didnt upset anything?

yes they are nicknaming the Skyline plug in the V66 due to its additional drivers etc

Does the V66 still have launch control built in like the V88? Can you use the anti lag module with the V66 or only the V88? Does the V66 still have the adaptive knock control that the V88 has?