SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

We flew down to Tas on Friday and spent the weekend driving the course in a Hyundai i30, 2000km in 2.5 days was a bit of a stretch but we managed to drive every stage. Once.

Excited & nervous about the event, so many nice roads to drive on and so many places to come unstuck. Think i prefer the north-west & west coast roads to the east, just depending on whether it's wet or not.

Has anyone driven Riana lately? The bridge towards the end is a little, err, not finished?

yep we are on smoothline too, only on the medalian. How much more info is in the trophy notes? I'm using 1-10 instead of 1-6, so i'm hoping it won't take too long to get my head around the different numbers.

after we ran the car on the weekend, i'm feeling a lot better as far as prep time goes. But dad blew the turbo on his Subie, and one of the turbo's on the GTR at the V8's last weekend.

Edited by sav man

Yes Holwell certainly looks interesting! There entry onto that straight is very fast, so no doubt all cars will be pinned in top gear for some time before hitting that big crest!!

I take it you had a run at Baskerville on Saturday Ben? I passed you at Kempton, I was heading north for recce. Hope to finally have the car back and put in some time at Basky myself over the Easter break.

yep we are on smoothline too, only on the medalian. How much more info is in the trophy notes? I'm using 1-10 instead of 1-6, so i'm hoping it won't take too long to get my head around the different numbers.

after we ran the car on the weekend, i'm feeling a lot better as far as prep time goes. But dad blew the turbo on his Subie, and one of the turbo's on the GTR at the V8's last weekend.

Mid detail for a corner or crest etc which is a little bit longer than normal but not considered long, few other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Ill try to look tonight to remember!

I hear Holwell is going to be scary, the big straight which used to have 2 chicanes is now unrestricted. Should be some massive air at the end.

Yeah it is! Our notes read something like 1.1km to crest straight caution air 300 then crest straight air 200.

~ 240km/h + crest = ?

Massively airborne scares me. Can go soooo wrong....but can offer up such a great "poolroom" shot or avatar eh Ben?? :)always hard to determine at recci pace how fast will be a cool little air or one that fills the pants of your driving suit.

Captain sent me a text last week saying he thinks a number of tears will be shed on the 2nd last stage.

Not sure what it is called but he reckons it's full of surprises.

^^ That would be Woodsdale, from memory it was quite narrow, rough and is off camber on either side going into a ditch for most of the way. Reminded me of Pelverata but narrower in some places. Wouldn't take much to slip off the center of the road if it was wet.

Word on the street is that Ricards is in for glenney in the chook cooker

Yeah heard this last night. Apparently poor Squeak is gutted, we will have to share the sorrow of service crewing together..

On an entirely different note, what is the general consensus on a DR30 Skyline for a Tarmac weapon?

Been offererd a "fresh from Japan" 1983 iron mask model today for $10k. Perfect condition, no rust and a fresh engine. I know very little about these, but they would seem to fall into a pretty competitive section of late classic?

I am well over finishing (read starting) my RX3 project, and one of these looks way less work. Might even give those punters building turbo RX7's a run? :)

All advice gladly accepted..

paul

post-42431-0-24059400-1333619411_thumb.jpg

post-42431-0-66446400-1333619462_thumb.jpg

Has been discussed earlier in this thread Paul, and I think the general consensus was they would be a good thing.. probably only thing holding them back is availability of FJ20 engine parts. I rate them anyway!

That looks pretty neat. Is it registered? Any more details of the car. For the right starting point I have been interested in a DR30. Would have to sell the Sierra to finish the build but could front the cash to buy a good registered DR30