SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

TAU - Some stuff is good, some less than, but you get what you pay for. My RX7 came from them and was better than expected.

http://www.tau-sales.com/defaultMall/sitem...CarHomeMain.jsp

I'd only seen 22B's for decent money in Japan until then... admittedly I don't actively look for them, but yeah I'm sure there are others out there. This one needed new paint on the roof and middle of the rear wing with 80,xxxks and had Brembos on it.

The thing I'd love to put in to stand-out from the pack and get a half decent result would be an NSX Type R... I drove Hiro' Fujiwara's one a few years back and the thing was awesome.

Edited by t01-100

I agree on the NSX - I used to own one before the GT-R and before I recently decided to turn the R34 into a Targa car I looked at the possibility of doing an NSX instead since they are eligable for classc as of 2009. Great little car but they do have a few little issues and they are also a car that can bite (when they let go they GOOOO) :rofl:

Baron, i will bring the oxy, you bring the beer. I think its time we prep the S13 and show that intestinal fortitude mixed with the right amount of stupidity and my "nah mate she's flat...i have a perfectly matched set of buffed tyres so she will hold" navigating will have ..... ....people visiting us in hospital. :rofl: Its up to us to bring SAU together and make our hospital waiting room the socialable meeting point of tarmac rallies :(

I'm up for it big buddy. call me cole trickle...

I don't think I've met a bigger whinger in motorsport than this bloke (you should have heard him after Dutton W.A. this year) but some of you may want to check this out as I really can see him following through with this. I know I'm all ok but just in case someone out there isn't.....

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26854

For you Dun (PS - I'm not saying he is necessarily wrong but he does whinge more than anyone I've met before)

I thought Id give all the racers etc here a heads up.

The Tarmac rally groups and scrutineers are now gunning for cheaters, especially in M1 class which is where the new R35 GTR and Porsche GTs and Z06s run. And so they should.

A few of us spend a lot of time reading the rules to be squeaky clean and do our best, but there is a contingent that thinks they can do what ever they want.

I for one am glad for this crack down, and as a heads up I can tell you what they're gunning for.

If your running a Skyline GTR R35, or a Porsche 911 GT2, or 3, they will be checking for the innocuous things, IE: steering lock removed from the cars steering coloumn, so when the car is turned off, or crashed the steering can still be worked without the key in the ignition. They will also be gunning after ECUs. ECUs in Tarmac M1 cannot be changed. They dont care about the 180kph limiter in the cars, if you want to remove that, you have to re-programe the software, but you cannot replace the ECU.

They will also be looking out for roll cage sizes per specs.

I simple couldnt agree with this more. Generically, even with us evo runners in M2, we (I) have removed the steering lock etc. And so should everyone else.

Example: I was up the road at Just Jap, trying to help the guys with finding a set of tyres around the world to use on the car, and they mentioned they will be going down a size to get the tyres they want, I told them they will need to put in a request to have the rules changed for the whole of the M1 Category before they do that, otherwise it's illegal. I was then informed that 'they' knew the organsiers of Targa Tassie and sleep at the chief stewards house when they are down there, so they can do what ever they want as they are untouchable and scrutineers arnet going to bother them.

To which I said, if they ever competed against me, although in a different class, I would protest them easily, and have them embarrass their friends- the organsiers, and if the organsiers say 'oh, their our friends so no one can protest them' the FIA will reduce the event to non-existant. the FIA has no friends for a reason.

So who's wrong? the guy who builds his car to the rules, ie: even factory Mits and Suby make sure they're cars are 110% squeeky clean, or is the person who thinks' we dont need to read the rules, we're special, and more special than anyone else who's paid their $1000s in entry fees??

Tell me, who's right?

Does the person whos says,' hey, I know that guy is cheating, and im playing fair' have a right to protest to keep everyone on their toes, or should he keep his mouth shut.

I think he has a right to speak up. There are rules written and classifications for cars for a reason.

If I was a long distant runner, and Ive come third in a Marathon and Im clean from drugs, but the guy ahead of me has been throwing lucky pills down his throat, am I wrong for being clean....? HELL NO! you've played by the rules. cheaters get kicked out, full protest, asses kicked and names taken, and made an example of.

Ive been beaten by cheaters and Ive beaten cheaters. Even if they finish behind me and I know they're cheating, Im gonna protest them. And have them kicked out of the event and make sure their 'organising friends' are very embarrassed by association. No Favourites.

But once the race has ended and past the post-race 30 minute protest period, time for protesting is up, nothing you can do. Anyways, a good heads up. You either like it or you dont. If you compete you should know, and be confident there is parity.

Thoughts? Let em rip....

Hmmm, I don't really understand the point he's trying to make with the exception that yes, there are cheaters, always has been, always will be.

His point re the R35 is mute, as far as I'm aware the rules have been modified in the interests of safety and competetion for AASA events at least, to allow a 1" downsize in rim diameter for cars such as the 35, Lambo, Gt2 etc so they can actually procure a genuine R spec tyre. Insinuating that there is a mate's deal with regard to what is allowed to be modified is garbage.... scrutineers are totally independent of the organisers, and as such only scrutinise the rules that the organisers have put into place.

Every event I go to, I know there are cars that are "cheaters", but from MY point of view, these people are only cheating themselves. Surely the elation of winning/placing in your class or whatever is soured by knowing you're running an illegal car? I would think so......

I/we have beaten cheaters, and been beaten by cheaters, but you can't spend your time worrying about what others are up to, run your own rally, and what happens, happens.

And I didn't see in his spiel anywhere where he had a whinge about all the Evo and STi runners with strokers?

Oh don't worry - if he gets beaten by one he will tell you all it has a stroker whether it has one or not.

After Dutton W.A. he wsa telling everyone that Steve Jones EVO 9MR has a stroker even though it doesn't. Its just very light and runs an agressive jungle juice tune.

But he simply couldn't accept that someone could be that much faster than him except if it was a stroker motor.

Well since the car is currently in bits I figured now was a good time to go and grind off that steering lock pin (I didn't actually know it had to be done before Jeff's post but it's done now). I also took some progress pics of the cage whilst at it. It's coming along nicely I must say. :(

The airbags are already gone but since the car is in it's current state is there anything else stupid and difficult that should be done I might not know about??

post-5136-1222228259_thumb.jpg

post-5136-1222228282_thumb.jpg

Just quickly because I am flat out today.....post 78 cars or road registered cars don't need to have their steering column lock disabled.

"if manufactured prior to 1 January 1978 (or otherwise not complying with ADR25A) and not registered for use on

public roads, have any steering column locking device removed or disabled;"

Best thing to do is read Schedule A, B, C of the CAMS manual it is actually in plain english unlike the detailed tech regs. Things you will need to consider:

no holes in firewall

cage

no tinting

harness

no hot fluid in cabin unless it is enclosed (eg no mechanical oil pressure gauge)

cameras > 100g have specific mounting regs

towing points

fixed back seats

fuel pump cutout if engine stalls

kill switch internal and external access

tyres must have valve caps

fuel sampling valve (not that I've ever seen a car with one fitted)

tailshaft loop if you have single piece tailshaft (probably not)

2kg or more extinguishers (we run 3 because they are only 0.9 each)

2 bonnet fastenings (all skylines have this factory but most add bonnet pins)

additiona throttle return spring (gtr has 4 already, 3 on throttles and one at linkage)

catch can of at least 3l

however.....these are all cams requirements and targa has gone AASA - so I am not sure what the story is with them

While I totally 100% agree with the point he is making...he needs to get his facts straight if he is going to protest....this is exactly why there is a $500 protest fee to reduce the number of spurious protests. And also why when racing we have to pay $500 to seal every new motor we build (to removing this issue of strokers etc, or in our case even forgies are banned)

On the fuel sampler fitting, I would strongly recommend fitting one. We ran an Sti in showroom in 2005 and the regs stated that showroom cars didn't require a fitting. Scrutineers begged to differ and I had to show them in the regs exactly where is stated it wasnt required.

When we built the blue R34 we made sure we had a sampler fitting (at great expence), and yes, we were fuel tested after a stage and this is when the sampler is required.