SAU Community

Stoptech Brakes

Tk: Guessing around the $1600 mark?

Scooby: I've managed to track shipping down for $150US mate, so maybe I can organise for a better deal for a few sets? I have also seen a deal which includes the front kit as well as rear rotors, pads and lines along with 3 bottles of RBF600 thrown in for free which is the one to go for. Obviously shipping would go up slightly for these.

Make that 3 Troy?? :ermm:

I also know a freight forwarding company who will ship the items by sea, but it'll take a few months to get here. I reckon for $150 it's probably not worth shipping it by sea.

I'll do some enquiries mate.

Now to find the money to pay for them... :blink:

Dane

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought they sold for around 2k for the set...plus i've got a few small extras....we'll just wait and see.

i was in contact with a guy at http://www.brake-pros.com/ a while back. they seem to do some good packages and they seemed willing to discount if we could order a few sets. maybe worth looking into.....just need to work out the shipping costs and gst charges on the australian side. if anyone contacts them, you can pencil me in for an ap kit.

Edited by tk80

You may be able to get 2k for them, not sure mate. Just most kits I've seen are around that mark.

I was looking at that site yesterday, the stillen AP kits are pretty cheap, but the ones with the 2 piece rotors jump up a lot.

Edit: Just confirmed that the 355mm 300ZX kit will fit inside a 17x9+22 LMGT4... but measure for yourselves if you want to be sure! :blink:

Yeh, problem is my new RE30s still havent been delivered. And thinking long and hard about it 330-332mm is all my car really needs, and the weight of anything bigger and expense of anything bigger not really worth it

And at that dollar figure i think the Stoptech 332 are the way to go...can you sort me the details?

Here ya go mate - http://www.bozzspeedproduce.com/m_19.asp?pro=58&c=7

They do ship to Australia, and said they should be able to match my previous quote on $150 shipping from another supplier. I've emailed them again asking for a multi-buy deal, shall keep you updated.

The 355's are around $600 more... don't know if I can justify that

I am going to have to challenge all you brake whores to a braking contest with my standard R32GTST callipers, 340 mm DBA 5000 series rotors and Hawk pads at an all up cost of ~$800. I know I win the value for money equation easily, but I bet I also win the G force challenge as well.

Cheers

Gary

But you would be cheating Gary, odds are that your car would stop better then most because of the suspension and alignment. They way a properly set up car uses its tyres and brakes is very different to how our road cars use brakes.

Not to mention that we have Sandown and Calder, so not so concerned about one stop, I am more worried about the 4th or 5th lap which is when i have a tendency to be lockign brakes as the feel goes out of the braking system when they get up there in the heating stakes.

And also, i am sick of cracking DBA 4000 and RDA slotted rotors. Isnt your 340mm setup usign DBA 5000s so those rotors alone are worth over $800... + pads ... + lines and adaptor. Isnt it more like a $2000 setup?

LOL, i have done the numbers time and time again....F40s or Stoptechs i feel are best for my car....:(

you have to take into account the weight of the car too gary....what does your gtst weigh?

i would think that a gtr that hasn't been stripped would still be weighing in at 1500-1600kg.....which will need some descent brakes to pull her up after a few laps.

also, anyone know the best place to get a quote on alcon brakes?

anyone know much about the v8's going to a control caliper at the end of the year? i've heard they'll be selling their current setups but don't know how compatible they'll be with a gtr and also how hard it will be to get your hands on a set.

Edited by tk80

LOL, i have done the numbers time and time again....F40s or Stoptechs i feel are best for my car....:happy:

As have I mate.

Garry, the 324 upgrade was what I was originally going to go for, but after doing the numbers on it I'd rather spend the extra and buy a full kit.

I can't get all that stuff you've mentioned for $800. It's more like $1200 + for me, and if it's that much I'd rather spend 1k extra and get fresh everything, including a better caliper, but that's just me.

Now, I've got an email back from Bozz Speed and he didn't recommend going the 355mm with the 4 pot as the 4 pot is quite bulky and has trouble fitting inside a lot of rims, so I'd be making sure you use the template on the site to be sure.

Shipping wise they've told me it will cost us what it costs them, which should be around the 150US mark.

In regards to project mu rotors, do the hats change the offset between the rim and the caliper?

Also,

Is there a place that makes brake adaptors, I want to adopt my standard brakes but use bigger rotors.

Edited by LZY115

In regards to project mu rotors, do the hats change the offset between the rim and the caliper?

Also,

Is there a place that makes brake adaptors, I want to adopt my standard brakes but use bigger rotors.

The hatted rotors Project Mu make as a replacement for the standard rotors fit up the same as the standard rotors. With regard to the aftermarket ones - well you need to ask but as yet no one has found anyone willing to divulge that information.

As for your second question - good question. I would like to know too.

Hawke HT10 pads $169 from the US, 300ZX's are popular and so the pads are high volume, low price over there.

Brake line material cost $80, plus $20 for the fittings

DBA 5000 series rotors were $680

I sold the 280 mm DBA 4000 series rotors for $225 and the Bendix Ultimate pads for $50

Calliper adaptors were $200 on an SAU Group Buy

169+80+20+680-225-50+200 = $874

As for the suspension being better on my car, that's a plus and minus as far as brakes go. It has better traction for stopping so it uses the brakes more, but it has a higher corner speed so it doesn't need to slow down as much. Probably almost balances out in the end. As for weight, with me and enough fuel it comes in just under 1300 kgs, but with 650 bhp it gets to a fairly good top speed that has to be wiped off. I figure that balances out pretty well. In my experience it has been increasing the cornering speed is the best value for money as far as brakes go. In simple terms, spending ~$200 making it go round corners faster will save you ~$400 in buying brakes that you don't really need.

I should mention that the daily driver R33GTST has a similar brake package, 324 mm DBA 5000 series rotors, Hawke HPS pads, Nismo braided lines, standard callipers, UAS calliper adaptors and UAS scoops. The brakes survive perfectly with both of us driving it in sequential sessions at Wakefield Park doing 1.10's. It's a full weight R33GTST, so it comes in at over 1500 kgs with driver and fuel. Perhaps even more of an argument for increasing the cornering speed.

Cheers

Gary

PS, as an asside, with the above packages I didn't have to spend hours anguishing over multiple web sites and talking to counter jockies. No waisting head space over whether the rims will clear the callipers. It probably saved me $1K of waisted time that I could spend on more worthwhile things.

Hawke HT10 pads $169 from the US, 300ZX's are popular and so the pads are high volume, low price over there.

I sold the 280 mm DBA 4000 series rotors for $225 and the Bendix Ultimate pads for $50

Calliper adaptors were $200 on an SAU Group Buy

169+80+20+680-225-50+200 = $874

As for the suspension being better on my car, that's a plus and minus as far as brakes go. It has better traction for stopping so it uses the brakes more, but it has a higher corner speed so it doesn't need to slow down as much. Probably almost balances out in the end. As for weight, with me and enough fuel it comes in just under 1300 kgs, but with 650 bhp it gets to a fairly good top speed that has to be wiped off. I figure that balances out pretty well. In my experience it has been increasing the cornering speed is the best value for money as far as brakes go. In simple terms, spending ~$200 making it go round corners faster will save you ~$400 in buying brakes that you don't really need.

I should mention that the daily driver R33GTST has a similar brake package, 324 mm DBA 5000 series rotors, Hawke HPS pads, Nismo braided lines, standard callipers, UAS calliper adaptors and UAS scoops. The brakes survive perfectly with both of us driving it in sequential sessions at Wakefield Park doing 1.10's. It's a full weight R33GTST, so it comes in at over 1500 kgs with driver and fuel. Perhaps even more of an argument for increasing the cornering speed.

Cheers

Gary

PS, as an asside, with the above packages I didn't have to spend hours anguishing over multiple web sites and talking to counter jockies. No waisting head space over whether the rims will clear the callipers. It probably saved me $1K of waisted time that I could spend on more worthwhile things.

Ok Gary, i am going to bite as i am not convinced :)

There is no way i would suggest people make their own brake lines, off the shelf brake lines, ADR approved or not are not this cheap.

Again, i once got a hand job from a hot model for free. I didnt know she was a hooker, and if i asked for seconds would not be able to get the same deal second time around. DBA5000 rotor setups sell for more then that, unless for some strange reason the DBA5000 for HSV/FPVs are cheaper then GTR?!?!?! There is another glitch which i will get to ;)

Thats a pot of gold that you had the DBA to sell and that they were in good health, and not the crappy std gear, or worn cracked like is often the case when ppl decide to upgrade.

Caliper adaptors were $200 on an SAU Group Buy

They were the 280 to 324mm adaptors, so you are using them with the GTR caliper i assume so that its 296+44mm = 340mm? Does the curvature work ok or do you have to machine down the DBA5000 rotor? Also, which 340mm rotor are you using. The HSV are 343 from memory and the FPV are typically 355 and close to the offset required for the Skyline. The HSV are way out which means you are using custom hats with the rotors, or your group buy adaptor has been modified to correctly offset the caliper to rotor/hub. And again assuming its the 343mm HSV rotor you woudl have had to get it machined down to 340, as i assume you havent machined down the 355mm rotor to 340mm rotor.

LOL, so not trying to be argumentative, but you are right, i spend way too much time rackign my brain over brakes and not convinced the 169+80+20+680-225-50+200 = $874 is a real world figure.

Lastly, i woudl love to see pictures of the setup on the car and what wheels you use. The std caliper doesnt saddle the rotor all that well, and they would have to be a pretty racey wheel to clear that diameter rotor with the std caliper. And curious to know what rotor / pad coverage is like?!?!

LOL, i want to be convinced otherwise, but having played with Performance Friction 340x32mm rotors a while ago i decided not to go ahead with it as the dollars i could do it for meant an off the shelf setup was more attractive. ;)

Hey Troy, just as a note in regards to the Stoptechs, they recommend going the black setup for track use as their can be discoloration with anythig other than black and red. I've shot them an email, will let you know what the deal is as I want silver too :)

I too will bite on this.....

Most workshops get two DBA5000 rotors and hats at over $800 AT COST let alone retail :) so I'd love to know who your contact is ;)

Ok Gary, i am going to bite as i am not convinced :O

There is no way i would suggest people make their own brake lines, off the shelf brake lines, ADR approved or not are not this cheap.

Again, i once got a hand job from a hot model for free. I didnt know she was a hooker, and if i asked for seconds would not be able to get the same deal second time around. DBA5000 rotor setups sell for more then that, unless for some strange reason the DBA5000 for HSV/FPVs are cheaper then GTR?!?!?! There is another glitch which i will get to :)

Thats a pot of gold that you had the DBA to sell and that they were in good health, and not the crappy std gear, or worn cracked like is often the case when ppl decide to upgrade.

Caliper adaptors were $200 on an SAU Group Buy

They were the 280 to 324mm adaptors, so you are using them with the GTR caliper i assume so that its 296+44mm = 340mm? Does the curvature work ok or do you have to machine down the DBA5000 rotor? Also, which 340mm rotor are you using. The HSV are 343 from memory and the FPV are typically 355 and close to the offset required for the Skyline. The HSV are way out which means you are using custom hats with the rotors, or your group buy adaptor has been modified to correctly offset the caliper to rotor/hub. And again assuming its the 343mm HSV rotor you woudl have had to get it machined down to 340, as i assume you havent machined down the 355mm rotor to 340mm rotor.

LOL, so not trying to be argumentative, but you are right, i spend way too much time rackign my brain over brakes and not convinced the 169+80+20+680-225-50+200 = $874 is a real world figure.

Lastly, i woudl love to see pictures of the setup on the car and what wheels you use. The std caliper doesnt saddle the rotor all that well, and they would have to be a pretty racey wheel to clear that diameter rotor with the std caliper. And curious to know what rotor / pad coverage is like?!?!

LOL, i want to be convinced otherwise, but having played with Performance Friction 340x32mm rotors a while ago i decided not to go ahead with it as the dollars i could do it for meant an off the shelf setup was more attractive. :)

The calliper adaptors were supposed to be 22 mm offset, but they are actually 30 mm offset. Hence 280 + 60 = 340, not 280 + 44 = 324 as was promoted at the time. I did contemplate 296 + 60 = 356, but the GTST callipers were recently serviced and I didn't have any R32GTR callipers lying around at the time.

The DBA 4000 series 280 mm rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads that I sold were only 1 session old. I worked out pretty quickly that they weren't up to it, so I didn't flog them to death. I knew I could sell them afterwards as long as they were in OK condition.

DBA sponsors both series that we have cars racing in, so I support them by buying their products and $340 each is the price I paid.

The radius difference (140mm versus 170 mm) is too small to have any effect on the curvature of the pads versus the curvature of the rotors. Even if it did, and it doesn't, all I would have to do is trim the centre of the pads a mm or 2 to match the curve. I'll stick up some pictures when the front end is back in the car, it's out at the moment for some new inner lower control arm and steering rack bushes.

At the same time I am puting some dry break fittings in the brake hoses for easier maintenance.

I make all of our fuel and oil hoses and fittings, have done for many years, never had a failure or a leak. There is no magic in brake hoses, plus it is easy to pressure test them when you have finished.

The wheels are the cheap Hollow Type R's in 17 x 8, I need 10 wheels and simply could't afford the cost of exotic forged Japanese ones. I chose them years ago because of their great calliper clearance and mostly the fact that 10 of them cost me less than 3 Volks.

How to achieve the 340mm rotors is not my secret to share, but honestly I don't notice any real world difference over the 324 mm ones. If I had my time over I would probably just use the UAS calliper adaptors and 324 mm 5000 series rotors. I have no problem locking the wheels in the R33GTST even after 20 minutes of hot and heavy Wakefield, so, as always, the tyres determin the limit of braking not the brakes themselves.

The brakes on the two cars may lack the bling which some people find compulsive, but they do work and that's all that matters to me.

Cheers

Gary

PS; I you are really looking for a proper upgrade in brake callipers, the AP RadiCalliper as found on the race team 2007 Dallara F3 are the way to go.

1207euroa.jpg