SAU Community

R35 Prep For Rally Tas

giant

Tassie white posts arn't very stong, so the car should be fine. Congrats to the Vandenburgs who drew with Longhurst for 1st in modern. And of corse congrats to Ben, Russ, and Kel

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ahha where was your rx7 mate?

Sounds like Tony is bringing the car back for wrestpoint targa too - you guys are getting good entry levels for that, well done!

rx7 is in a warehouse looking very naked forward of the fire wall... thought it might have been ready for buller but no luck.

i've now got a lancer that doesn't look any more prepared sitting there too!

yeah excellent numbers for tpw, its gonna be huge!

Well what a fun event. looked a bit short. maybe Les will add some more stages in for next year. Congrats on the boys for coming 9th. the car looked very fast out on the course.

Well, just got back! Mega hangover..... not as bad as Mark's though. The "Devil's Orange Juice" made an appearence in his mouth in the car this morning :D lolol

Thanks for your kind words guys, Guesty, Wogboy and Savman, great to catch up. Guesty, you pour a wicked jug of bourbon mate! ;)

Congrats to Russ on finishing his first and what was a very testing rally. To gain a top ten in what was a pretty competetive field in an event that sure didn't suit the old road tyres is a bloody good start in my book :)

And to everyone else we know through here that competed, well done! Kel, you did a superb job for Tony, excellent result. My hat goes off to Peter and Tash in the old DK R32..... fantastic result for the old girl (the GTR, not Tash ;)), Peter drove beautifully all weekend.

Now the fun starts on the 35. Tyres and a bit of weight loss is in order :D I don't think it needs more power judging by our speed through the radar zone in the only dry bit of road coming out of Hellyer Gorge yesterday :D Longhurst was second fastest at 209 klm/h, we were punting at 241 apparently.

I'm too hungover to type as well as Ben - these QLD boys sure now how to drink!

Brilliant to meet everyone and awesome effort by Russ and Ben- I don't think there are many people who can claim a top 10 finish in their first tarmac rally outing (let alone one where you are on road tyres!).

Wogboy- sorry I didn't get to catch you at the finish and thanks again for the kind offer of the hoist (which thankfully wasn't needed).

well guys... as above ! we are back!

i am hung over and completely stuffed.

well I am no longer a tarmac rally virgin.... IT WAS AN AWSOME EXPERIENCE!

hats off to ben for sitting beside me he did a great job. I learnt alot about the car and pace noting and i have so much more to learn.

Thanks for the drinks Kel/ Duncan and it was great to meet you Kel now just got to catch up with Duncan!! i was so drunk i couldnt see straight, still better than Mark though..haha

well done Kel , I reckon you guys would have been right at the front if you had some semi's.

The car was awsome and i had a few big moments.. three to be exact (mostly on Ben's side...haha)! but i was lucky to be able to drive away from them and finish the rally. it rained or was wet for nearly the whole event so it was very tricky conditions and certainly had me on my toes the whole time. the tyres must be rock hard because they did not wear at all and the only had 30 or 40 percent before the event start & they have done alot of laps!! time for some new ones now.

I was really happy with the result as my goals before the start were a hopeful top 10 and to finish the event.. & i managed both. missed out on 8th by 2 seconds!

I have never seen roads like those in Tassie and it was so challenging & frightening at times, there is moss growing out of the middle of the road for god sake! and most of one of the stages is flat out ever seeing sun.

My favorite part of the rally was probably the last 6klm's or so of the last stage which was quite dry and very hilly and cresty and we were averaging speeds above 200kph for the most part and some parts up to nearly 250kph! :D

As a novice in rallying I am really looking forward to some better rubber and also a dry event!

BRING ON SOME MORE!!

Cheers Russ

Edited by giant

Congrats to all, Russ, Ben, Tony and Kel.

Specially congrats on finishing your first rally and inside the top 10 at that on worn out tyres!

PS. There's a small write up at GTRBlog focussed mainly on the two 35's and it has a few pics. Didn't have much news from Sundays racing so let me know if you have anything to add.

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/2008/10/0...e-report-and-re

If the Australian government was smart they'd arrange to run more rallies all over the country because you can be sure it would be a fail safe way to end our draughts. Because it seems nothing ever brings on the rain like a rally!

Good work to all but especially to you Russ for getting to the end of your 1st one. I take it you found it a little more challenging than driving around some cones? :(

lolololol.... reckon he did! Ask Simon and Sue Evans how they found it..... very very challenging rally. I was really suprised with how little carnage there was. A credit to all who competed really.

russ... has the bug ! BIG TIME :cool:

and your right i found it very challenging and i had very steep learning curve, trying to control what i would like to do in a car that is so superb & capable of so much & what i was capable of...hehe.

if anyone has any suggestions on how to get some semi's on the car , i am all ears.

It was good catching up with you guys over the weekend, even if i had a few too many sunday night. Thanks for the invite to Indy, too bad im up there the week before other wise i would have loved to come. Ben, sent you a PM regarding that shirt too.

great work to kel and tony and russ and ben. :rofl:

really good to see you guys out there showing the cars potential. with semi slicks it will certainly be amongst the pointy end.

like I said last night it was good to see you had a little off too russ, i would have been dissapointed if you weren't trying. :cool:

and above all 2 X R35s came back in one piece. :D

russ... has the bug ! BIG TIME :cool:

and your right i found it very challenging and i had very steep learning curve, trying to control what i would like to do in a car that is so superb & capable of so much & what i was capable of...hehe.

if anyone has any suggestions on how to get some semi's on the car , i am all ears.

Give Toyo a bell :-)

http://www.motorauthority.com/toyo-tires-b...-r-to-sema.html

"Toyo Tires will be featuring a special Nissan GT-R, shod in a set of 20-inch Proxes R888 racing tires - the first set of the gigantic race tires from Toyo."

russ... has the bug ! BIG TIME :rofl:

well we know your 18inch TEs fitted over the 380mm rotors, but will they fit over the new 400mm ones? i'm guessing not. :cool: but some nice 19inch TEs with some semi's could be a winner. :D

Could readily go back to 18's when really good rotors and full floating hats become available, but our concern is the effect on ground clearence.... high profile 18's aren't readily available.

I think it's really dependant on what tyres become available for the 20's in the near future to see if it's worth the effort of going back a size or two.

There are a few 19's available now, but the main area of interest is whether any of those current tyres can handle the weight of the 35, especially over six days of targa Tas??

As always, getting a range of everything together to do some proper testing is difficult and expensive, not to mention finding a suitable piece of tarmac to test on.

Could readily go back to 18's when really good rotors and full floating hats become available, but our concern is the effect on ground clearence.... high profile 18's aren't readily available.

I think it's really dependant on what tyres become available for the 20's in the near future to see if it's worth the effort of going back a size or two.

There are a few 19's available now, but the main area of interest is whether any of those current tyres can handle the weight of the 35, especially over six days of targa Tas??

As always, getting a range of everything together to do some proper testing is difficult and expensive, not to mention finding a suitable piece of tarmac to test on.

I reckon the toyos which weigh in at 285 front and 315 rear would have as good a shot as any! providing they are available in a suitable compound. :P