• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Jamie its called Rock Kung

RK is FARKEN GREAT!!

My favourite dish there is the Ginger Lobster with noodles

The duck is ok, but the pork is really nice (BBQ or Roast, they are both great)

In Vic Street my fav is Ha Long Bay and Pacific House. There is a good noodle soup place there too Thi Thi 2?..the one upstairs.

In chinatown you cant go past Ling Nam....although after the health inspection, its just not the same :-D

For duck. Old Kingdom in Collingwood reigns SUPREME!!!

For Thai my favourite used to be Kra Ra Ton in Russel st, but after it changed owners a year or so ago, it went down hill.

im sure i have more places, but just cant remember them :-D

For duck. Old Kingdom in Collingwood reigns SUPREME!!!

Is this the place that brings out the same duck 3 or 4 times for different courses, ending in the skeletal system becoming a soup?

If so, a colleague said it was the best duck place in Melb. The chef is supposed to be hilarious too. Funny like good chefs in a Tepanyaki restaurant.

I didnt grow up in melbourne, but everywhere I've had peking duck (brisbane, sydney, adelaide) they always make 3 things with it. I was always told that duck is brought to life 3 times, or some such shit, and whenever peking duck was ordered they would ask what else you wanted it in, i.e you could get peking duck, the rest of the duck in fried rice, and then the bones in soup. But I cant find anywhere here that does it. When I ask they just look at me like I'm stupid, haha. I went to pacific house tonight and they didnt know what I was talking about (food was nice though). Has anyone who grew up here heard of this? Is there anywhere that does it?

i just saw the post about a place in collingwood, but I mean is it uncommon for places to serve it in this fashion?

Is this the place that brings out the same duck 3 or 4 times for different courses, ending in the skeletal system becoming a soup?

If so, a colleague said it was the best duck place in Melb. The chef is supposed to be hilarious too. Funny like good chefs in a Tepanyaki restaurant.

Thats the place, but the soup is first. Followed by the Peking Duck, then the Shredded Duck in Beanshoots (or noodles whatever you prefer)

It IS the best duck place in Melbourne, BUT you have to book in advance AND order the ducks(s) at least 24 hours in advance

oh...and never over order the duck......the dude gets angry. He is hilarious, but is very serious about his duck

Rock Kung would probably revive the duck 3 times, but only because they didn't kill it properly. But seriously, you can get bone soup there though, so they'll probably do the duck bone soup.

Best soup there is the Crab Meat & Sweet Corn soup....followed closely by the Hot & Sour

man im making myself hungry

Thats the place, but the soup is first. Followed by the Peking Duck, then the Shredded Duck in Beanshoots (or noodles whatever you prefer)

It IS the best duck place in Melbourne, BUT you have to book in advance AND order the ducks(s) at least 24 hours in advance

oh...and never over order the duck......the dude gets angry. He is hilarious, but is very serious about his duck

Yes, Old Kingdom WAS one of the best PEKING DUCK place in Melbourne. However, the original owner has sold his business. Haven't been there since. But you definitely need to order the duck in advance.

Wow really? How long ago was it sold? I never tasted duck so good before I went to Old Kingdom. Hope it hasnt changed! I havent been there since mid to late 2006 i'd say...

Noticed this Chinese restaurant last night in Heathmont and couldn't resist a photo op.

Qn is... Would you eat there??

LOL! SHATIN

I think they mean "Sha Tin". Its a suburb in Hong Kong on the KCR (Tram Lines) going towards the country sides.

They probley named the restaurant after it.

Yeah you can have a laugh at some of the Asian names cuz sometimes it just does not make the correct translations.

I didnt grow up in melbourne, but everywhere I've had peking duck (brisbane, sydney, adelaide) they always make 3 things with it. I was always told that duck is brought to life 3 times, or some such shit, and whenever peking duck was ordered they would ask what else you wanted it in, i.e you could get peking duck, the rest of the duck in fried rice, and then the bones in soup. But I cant find anywhere here that does it. When I ask they just look at me like I'm stupid, haha. I went to pacific house tonight and they didnt know what I was talking about (food was nice though). Has anyone who grew up here heard of this? Is there anywhere that does it?

i just saw the post about a place in collingwood, but I mean is it uncommon for places to serve it in this fashion?

When you eat at a Chinese restaurant, trditionaly the whole duck is used for 3 main dishes.

1. The duck skin and a bit of meat wrapped with the small pieces of vegetables, spring onions and Hoi Sin sauce.

2. The duck meat with fried noodles.

3. The duck bones to make a duck soup.

As you know Peking or Beijing (Same name / meaning, different pronounciation) is a place in China, so the dish is named after the place, Beijing Roast Duck.

Cool!

I know a whole bunch of ppl that always go for lunch at Chilli Cafe on Russell St, but I'm not a fan of Thai so I'm always cranky pants when they go there :D Apparently it's quite cheap and really good though.

Japanese on the other hand.. sooo yummy.. but always starving again 3hrs later..

Favourite places are atami in preston, matsumoto on lygon, torimatsu on king st and uni sushi in university hill (bundoora).. oh and can't forget Koko at crown!! Though last time I went service was a bit crap..

Still can't find a great chinese place down here, that can compare to this great place in Sydney my family used to go to when I was growing up. Closest one so far is Peking Inn in Bundoora... but still not overly fussed with the quality of meat... it's always that thin, tough kinda chinese crap everywhere we go.

Lots of places say 'fillet steak' but it hardly ever is :D

Had lunch with Alex at a chinese place on Russell the other week.. lucky he was with us caus the waiters didn't speak much english lol. I guess you know it's good if chinese ppl mostly eat there..