SAU Community

Best Asian Restaurants In Melb?

Mean_R34

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai: Ying Thai (Lygon St) or Ying Thai 2

The pad thai is just friggen awesome. Everything else is good too.

Viet: Thien Anh (next to Footscray station)

Can't believe no-ones mentioned this one yet. The lemongrass chicken on special fried rice is the best dish I have tried in any restaurant, ever, in my entire life. Probably had it about 30X already. Only like $10. The avocado drink they make is awesome too.

Thats the place, but the soup is first. Followed by the Peking Duck, then the Shredded Duck in Beanshoots (or noodles whatever you prefer)

It IS the best duck place in Melbourne, BUT you have to book in advance AND order the ducks(s) at least 24 hours in advance

oh...and never over order the duck......the dude gets angry. He is hilarious, but is very serious about his duck

I agree its really good, I have been there for over 5 years - but its not the best. And I'm over the whole pre-order as I have other places which are just as good with no pre-order and minus the other dishes which are basically fillers.

Ying Thai is good. I remember the grand opening so many years ago back in the days.

Oh forgot to mention

Shanghai Noodle Palace - Taterstalls Lane in China Town

Man Talk about dodgy...its farken great!!!! Exactly like i imagine the back streets of Hong Kong to be.

Spicy Chinken Noodle soup is the best....or if your not a noodle soup kina person....spicy chicken on rice :-D

If you are after good cheap eats.

Vietnamese - Ha Long Bay - Victoria St - North Richmond (shop is coloured green) - About 200m east from Hoddle st intersection.

Chinese - Xiao-Ting Box - Victoria St - North Richmond (shop is coloured orange) - About 400m east from Hoddle st intersection - Across the road from Bread Top.

long grain is pretty darn good, thai fusion food. its not your budget stall but its very good for a night out to impress the missus.

long grain has beautiful food. If i remember correctly, you can't book on certain days/times unless you have a big enough group. So keep that in mind. Yep, not cheap, but great dishes. (see duck red curry)

As for Pacific House - yeah this gets a A+ from me as I have got take aways duck from there many times...however I usually get mine form Box Hill cos its closer.

The best Japanese food is in Glenferrie - Samurai. Very cheap, small but pretty much the best in Melb. And I have been everywhere and I keep going back. However if you want to book a great place there is Shira Nui in glen waverly, renowned to be the best jap joint - awsome sushi.

The man knows his food! Impressive Chris, most impressive!

Pacific House, very impressive. The quintessential 'The Age: Cheap Eats' All their roast meats are very tasty.

Have not been to Samurai but have been to Shira Nui a few times, GREAT japanese food. One of the FEW japanese restaurants not run by friggen chinese!! :)

Gingerboy, it's owned by Teage Ezard.

We have a winner! Gingerboy's food is just stunning, not much of a surprise considering it's sorta the sister restaurant of Ezard (which i also highly recommend, but bring $) Gingerboy has 2 sittings, 6:30 - 8 or 6 and 8, something like that.

IMO, there are NO good restaurants in the Glen Waverley "strip". As Shira Nui ISN'T on the strip, it is is therefore, good :P - The european food in the Glen is shite, the asian for the most part is 'choose your number' dish crap, the restaurants on the Rock Kung side are not anything to write home about either. Cheap and fair would be my rating. But 'The Glen' area as a whole has some truly shocking food considering the concentration of restaurants.

I wanted to add Gingerboy and Long Grain, but they've already been mentioned so i'll add a Taiwanese place; Peko Peko, Sth Melbourne. Have some very tasty dishes, and quite cheap too.

long grain is pretty darn good, thai fusion food. its not your budget stall but its very good for a night out to impress the missus.

long grain has beautiful food. If i remember correctly, you can't book on certain days/times unless you have a big enough group. So keep that in mind. Yep, not cheap, but great dishes. (see duck red curry)

As for Pacific House - yeah this gets a A+ from me as I have got take aways duck from there many times...however I usually get mine form Box Hill cos its closer.

The best Japanese food is in Glenferrie - Samurai. Very cheap, small but pretty much the best in Melb. And I have been everywhere and I keep going back. However if you want to book a great place there is Shira Nui in glen waverly, renowned to be the best jap joint - awsome sushi.

Pacific House, very impressive. The quintessential 'The Age: Cheap Eats' All their roast meats are very tasty.

Have not been to Samurai but have been to Shira Nui a few times, GREAT japanese food. One of the FEW japanese restaurants not run by friggen chinese!! :)

Gingerboy, it's owned by Teage Ezard.

We have a winner! Gingerboy's food is just stunning, not much of a surprise considering it's sorta the sister restaurant of Ezard (which i also highly recommend, but bring $) Gingerboy has 2 sittings, 6:30 - 8 or 6 and 8, something like that.

IMO, there are NO good restaurants in the Glen Waverley "strip". As Shira Nui ISN'T on the strip, it is is therefore, good :P - The european food in the Glen is shite, the asian for the most part is 'choose your number' dish crap, the restaurants on the Rock Kung side are not anything to write home about either. Cheap and fair would be my rating. But 'The Glen' area as a whole has some truly shocking food considering the concentration of restaurants.

I wanted to add Gingerboy and Long Grain, but they've already been mentioned so i'll add a Taiwanese place; Peko Peko, Sth Melbourne. Have some very tasty dishes, and quite cheap too.

Zipang in Hampton also does great Japanese. Cheap and cheerful. Run by Japanese.

Hey eMsta, whats that duck place called? Rock Kung or Kung Rock? In Glen Waverly

Some nice duck and rice dishes there!

Hey Jamie its called Rock Kung
feed the whole family for $40

just dont ask for chilli paste, too many times

Rock Kung in Glenny. The End.

Its exactly like a chinese restaurant in china. Quick, half arsed decor, bugger all service unless you speak chinese.... but the food is good, cheap and they're open till 3am.

SAU Half Duck and Bucket of Rice Crew highly endorses this establishment.

yes we do. damn we need a duck meet soon man. when u back down here so we can organise?

while its not asian, check out Rich Maha in Burwood for some awesome Malaysian/Sri Lankan food. They do Mi Gorengs, Nasi Gorens, Kwae Teow and Teh Tarik.

haha my uncle owns that place. there's two branches opened in the cbd last year. one on collins i think. used to get a free lassi everytime i went in. havent been there in a while though. word of warning, dont wear a knit when u go.

As Shira Nui ISN'T on the strip, it is is therefore, good :P

hmm must try shira nui. a really good thai place is Rose of Thailand. opposite glenny stn. near the fitness first. they do a very good green curry.

also my mate swears by Malasian Gardens in clayton. Good nasi goreng apparently

• 3 weeks later...
LOL! SHATIN

I think they mean "Sha Tin". Its a suburb in Hong Kong on the KCR (Tram Lines) going towards the country sides.

They probley named the restaurant after it.

Yeah you can have a laugh at some of the Asian names cuz sometimes it just does not make the correct translations.

When you eat at a Chinese restaurant, trditionaly the whole duck is used for 3 main dishes.

True. I am making a special trip out to Springvale tomorrow as I hear there's a shop in the main drag called "Phuc Dat". My latest hobby is collecting funny retail sign pics taken by myself.

Edited by Mean_R34

I went to Old Kingdom last night and can now agree that the duck is a winner!

Must have changed hands as other reports say the chef is hilarious and a "Duck nazi", but I didn't see anyone of that description.

4 adults, a kid, a couple of ducks, a soup and 1 x icecream and some corkage set me back $130.

Decor is ordinary, but the important bit (the food) was up there. Good value IMO.

best pho is in springy, next door to the real estate agent, opposite the up ramp to the carpark for the old shopping centre

True that.. Springvale has some very nice places to eat, not too bad on the wallet either. If you want something more high class though, Glen Waverly eating strip has some very classy joints.

Whats that one called with the red leather seats again, anyone know?

• 2 months later...
True that.. Springvale has some very nice places to eat, not too bad on the wallet either. If you want something more high class though, Glen Waverly eating strip has some very classy joints.

Whats that one called with the red leather seats again, anyone know?

star east?