SAU Community

Porsche Claims Nissan Cheated On Nurburg

BANGN

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting bit of auto warfare. I think Porsche got caught with their pants down rippin customers off. Porsche deserved to have their arse raped by Nissan.

For years they have engineered car to suit marketing campaign and protect the 911 and the cows have finally come home for them. LOL

"sitting back and wait for a car mag to do independent test"

1) ex formula driver vs test engineer

2) GTR developed pretty much for that purpose

3) Corvette and next Viper are even faster - if I were Porsche I'd be more upset about losing to these two!

4) Porsche - build a new car with technology and performance that matches the price!

911 is a great car in its various guises but its time for the evolutionary development to stop and the revolutionary to start!

so can't get past third gear, hmm..... 16 seconds slower than the Porsche, out of 7min 38 works out to be about 3.5% slower, so even if you test with a lesser driver, and use only half the gears available it is only 3 % slower than the Porsche - I'd say that makes the GTR even more impressive!

Porsche 911 - 'No other car will ever have its number!'.....might be time for a whole new car and a less desperate ad campaign because the 911 is getting seriously owned!

Edited by gts4diehard

1) ex formula driver vs test engineer

2) GTR developed pretty much for that purpose

3) Corvette and next Viper are even faster - if I were Porsche I'd be more upset about losing to these two!

4) Porsche - build a new car with technology and performance that matches the price!

911 is a great car in its various guises but its time for the evolutionary development to stop and the revolutionary to start!

so can't get past third gear, hmm..... 16 seconds slower than the Porsche, out of 7min 38 works out to be about 3.5% slower, so even if you test with a lesser driver, and use only half the gears available it is only 3 % slower than the Porsche - I'd say that makes the GTR even more impressive!

Porsche 911 - 'No other car will ever have its number!'.....might be time for a whole new car and a less desperate ad campaign because the 911 is getting seriously owned!

Good points.

Suzuki-san is a real driver. Porsche stated their engineer couldnt drive it as quick. No shit!?

Aanyways, that thing I said about 3rd gear was a joke guys :)

lol.... I take back part of my comment then, regarding '3rd gear', I may have been a little harsh.

Porsche just needs to take a better driver to the track before they dismiss the times of others, maybe Sabeen could do better, didn't she go around in about ten minutes in a diesel transit!

I can imagine it now - a future Porsche Headline....'Nissan Nurburgring time is fake!'

with the following attached .... Grandma could not get near the time of 7:29, recording a time of 25 min, on a sunny day using slick tyres! Officials say that the time is impossible to attain despite Grandma being a talented Ford Fiesta driver ....

Edited by gts4diehard

But hang on. Do we think Procshe is really going to come out and say something that cant be substantiated?

The GTR has done damn well in all the road tests that i have read...but there could be some merit to Nissan tweaking the car a little for the sake of a few laps of the Burger Ring. I hope not....but i dont doubt it. Tyres are getting better, for sure....but the pace of cars like the ZR1, GTR etc...well they have all pulled some serious times out of the low volume supercars of late and i have been a bit curious as to how myself

There have been many a time where maufacturers tweak there cars a little for tests,

a couple that spring to mind are:

Motor did a test of a Volvo (I think it was an s40) that was spanking everything else, the guy who was doing the test had the same car personally, so out of curiosity pulled the ecu cover to find an aftermarket chip in there, so he swapped it for the std ECU in his own car.

Ford had the same thing with an AU2 XR8 ute that was a tenth quicker than the lighter more powerful XR8 sedan.

Holden used to (possibly still do) put HSV spec ECUs in there SS' for tests.

Nissans "stock" R33 Gtr that did the apparent 7:56sec Nurburgring time had R-Comps and and Tweaked N1 engine in it.

Mustangs, Camaro's Galaxies Etc had bigger than std Carbys on them back in the 60's - 70's

Id never take factory claims as Law,

Look how easy it is for HKS, Amuse etc to pull nearly 600hp outta the new R35, surely Nissan Know the same tricks.

Interesting bit of auto warfare. I think Porsche got caught with their pants down rippin customers off. Porsche deserved to have their arse raped by Nissan.

For years they have engineered car to suit marketing campaign and protect the 911 and the cows have finally come home for them. LOL

"sitting back and wait for a car mag to do independent test"

How on earth are Porsche ripping customers off?

They know what they're paying for!

What a stupid thing to say.

Lol their heads are going to explode when the V-spec comes out I suppose haha..

What about the evo spec? If that makes it to production.. Game over.

i think they would go to war with japan over the V-spec

then they will start persecuting the japanese when the EVO comes out. trying to rid the earth of the smart little men who know how to make cars

I found the article itself quite amusing, Sewids was better although a little harsh. I feel for the good people at Porsche, a good mate of mine makes his living out of them. All in all the vehicles Porsche produce (apart from the 4x4 shitbox) are world class, world beating high performance motoring icons. Even now, as another car maker is burning their eggs I still have a special place in my heart for Porsche, nay, a special place in my pocket which holds something special for Porsche and their (special) engineer........................

a tissue.

Harden the fcuk up Porsche.

Edited by RBNT

How many posters on this thread have actually driven either of these cars?

Porsche Turbos are awesome & I wish I could afford one!!! The new 997 has the best looking wheels

in the world( In my opinion) followed closely by the R35 GTR(of course) & is a fully sick unit.

I have never been to Germany to drive on that Hallowed track (probably never will) :)

But I have driven a 996 Turbo when new (a couple of them) & the rest of the range on drive days

& a good friend of mine owns a new 997 Turbo & it is an awesome looking car. I wish I could afford one.

I love the new R35 GTR, & have driven one on the street (legally) & I will probably buy one,

but that doesn't change the fact that the Porsche is a fantastic looking car, is amazing to drive,

& will always be one of the ultimate "everyday" supercars. Best looking wheels I have ever seen!

If you can afford to spend $200k extra on top of the GTR & buy the Porsche then you will probably have

a mate that bought a new GTR anyway & will still get to thrash it so whats the difference!!!

After years of dreaming about buying either one of these cars, & spending all my money on my R33 GTR

(humble old school pie) I am going out to a private track day at Mallala soon with my OS Giken 3 litre that has just

been tuned on E85 ethanol fuel, street rego, 1600cc injectors, 3 fuel pumps, TO4Z turbo, Motec, 420rwkw,

F50 Brembo brakes, new RE30 18" with race tyres, very little skill but lots of enthusiasm, etc & will be taking it

to the R35 GTR that will be there as well as numerous porsches, lambos, ferraris, evos, BMW M5s, M3s, STis, etc.

So if you are in SA & interested in seeing what the R35 can ACTUALLY do to a Porsche on a PRIVATE track day

send me a PM & will let you know the details.

:D

"For us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tyres."

He believes the time achieved by Nissan with ex-Formula One driver Toshio Suzuki would only be possible with a semi-slick race-style tyre.

Achleitner says Porsche took a standard GT-R, running on regular road tyres, and ran it around the Nurburgring within two hours of its own cars, on the same day with exactly the same weather conditions.

He says there was no tweaking of any kind and the GT2 and Turbo both ran on regular Porsche road tyres, the Michelin Sport Cup.

I'm pretty sure the "cup" tyres are a semi slick!.... they sure grip like them... and wear out in no time flat....

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ultra-hig...ilot-sport-cup/

?????

pilot-sport-cup.jpg

Edited by williamsf1

Id never take factory claims as Law,

Look how easy it is for HKS, Amuse etc to pull nearly 600hp outta the new R35, surely Nissan Know the same tricks.

And Porsche engineers would know that tweaking the ECU, switching to difference cams, etcwould do the same for them.

As for the tire claim, all I have to say is meh. (and people say as long as it has decent tread it doesn't make a difference, go talk to Porsche who claim the tires where what lost them the race).

B.

But hang on. Do we think Procshe is really going to come out and say something that cant be substantiated?

The GTR has done damn well in all the road tests that i have read...but there could be some merit to Nissan tweaking the car a little for the sake of a few laps of the Burger Ring. I hope not....but i dont doubt it. Tyres are getting better, for sure....but the pace of cars like the ZR1, GTR etc...well they have all pulled some serious times out of the low volume supercars of late and i have been a bit curious as to how myself

Shhhhhhh, you're making too much sense... :D