SAU Community

Show Me Your Race Car Trailers

Neil

Thought I might start one seeing as how we have "Show me your Race Cars",,,why not show what you use to tow them in. I have just purchased an enclosed one after using an open unit for years. Heres some pics of it being built. I hate SAU sometimes,,,I can't upload more than one pic.

post-29-1225105882_thumb.jpg

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Ben,,, it wasn't crazy money either. We can now go to races with a dry car.

Austrailers is good choice,,,they made our 1st one and it towed great. Pity they never returned phone calls and e-mails,,,I'm thinking they didn't want to do an enclosed one.

I'd love to see how other guy's and gals fit them out. I spend half my race days looking at other trailers working out how others did it.

have a snoop at this yanky site,,,

http://pitpal.com

Neil.

New trailer hey Neil, did you trade in your old one?

Well well seems we have drifted apart my good man,,,.

My old trailer is in storage with exclusive use at the moment for team raceworx,,,.

I figure the boys look after me so i'll look after them.

But as you well know everything in this life has a price. Interested are we possum?.

Neil.

Well well seems we have drifted apart my good man,,,.

My old trailer is in storage with exclusive use at the moment for team raceworx,,,.

I figure the boys look after me so i'll look after them.

But as you well know everything in this life has a price. Interested are we possum?.

Neil.

neil

hook us up brother

need something to tow my multitude of non running r31's around

:)

We're currently in the market for a trailer for the rallycar.

The plan is to build one similar to this:

trailerlf1.jpg

It will be built to fit my Skyline, with the following requirements.

Single axle is a must for manoverability, low centre of gravity and low wheel arches so you can open the doors on the car when it is loaded. Adjustable axle too, so that the correct weight balance can be acheived.

Edited by screamin'

never liked single axle car trailers. tandem axle with load sharing springs are much nicer to tow, not to mention safer. I've have 2 blowouts on the trailer which you don't even notice apart from it being harder to pull, then you look back and realise what's going on by the smoke. But I'd hate to think what would happen on a single axle trailer with a car on top of it... And trying to find a LT tyre rated to about 1000kg each (skyline plus trailer weight)may not be too easy either.

I know of other rally drivers who've had a blowout and been dragged off the highway by the trailer, heavily damaging the tow car, race car and trailer in one fell swoop. Or simply getting a sway up and out of control - very easy to do with a single axle trailer if the load is not balanced properly every time. I wouldn't risk it. I'll take a minor sacrifice on manouverability for a big increase in safety every time.

Saw a new lightweight one the other day, has an expanded metal floor instead of that heavy checkerplate most use. It had a beaut tilt too, can't recall the brand name though.

Agree with Harry about tandem trailers for any car with a bit of weight.

ill try to get some pics of my custom made trailer. tandem axle with ramps that slide away underneath, tyre rack at the front with attached toolbox.

i agree with the whole thing about single axle trailers. i wouldnt be to keen on towing one with my car on it.

A tyre doesn't just blow because its 'on a trailer' it blows for a reason.

Most likely they were bald to the belts and popped, wrong tyre pressure, or a tyre that sits in the sun for 364 days a year then gets used with a heavy load on it or are just under rated on load capacity.

I'm shocked at the condition of some tyres (and more so trailers) I see at the local circuits/drags.

yeh and no Ben, ive towed to Willowbank a couple of times and also Heathcote twice and 100s of times to EC and never had an issue. but have lent the trailer out and sure enough twice it has had blow-outs. maybe just shit drivers, not sure but all that was replaced was the tyre, not the tow car and race car. single axles might be good for aussie cars or something light but wouldnt be towing anything heavy on one. simple dual axle sprung trailers are good and cheap enough, but the enclosed jobby jobby with storage space would be great. might need something bigger than the triton to pull a big enclosed trailer though. but i hear what you saying, some trailers should have rego lol.

Most likely they were bald to the belts and popped, wrong tyre pressure, or a tyre that sits in the sun for 364 days a year then gets used with a heavy load on it or are just under rated on load capacity.

I'm shocked at the condition of some tyres (and more so trailers) I see at the local circuits/drags.

One of the problems with buying a trailer is unless you buy a top quality unit they always come with used tyres. God only knows where they get used 6 ply tyres but they do.

Our old trailer has travelled all over the eastern seaboard with never a problem except for once on the freeway up to Bulladelah when it blew one of those used tyres. We changed to new ones and never had a probelm since.

We supplied new tyres and rims for the new one and don't expect any problems. One of the other problems is too smaller a wheel,,,they must be at least 14inch,,,15 inch is best,,,anything smaller just spins way to fast.

Single axles are a no-no with the weight of a Skyline or the weight I'm putting in the new one.

I have learned so much about trailers in the last 5 years I think I am now an expert. My old mate Jimmy Winterbottom was sponsored by a trailer company and had like 6 made back in his speedway days as well as frosties go-kart trailers so I have had a good education. My newy is no limo but it will do the job perfectly.

Neil.

never liked single axle car trailers. tandem axle with load sharing springs are much nicer to tow, ...........for a big increase in safety every time.

The tandems we've been towing with lately have been really poor and are overly heavy for the weight of the car we are towing. My Skyline weighs a bit over 1100kg. The other car that will be towed on it weighs 900kg. With good quality new tyres with sturdy sidewalls there is no issue with the single axle.

We've had a few single axles in the past and they have towed great. Key thing is, keep up with the maintainance, tyre pressures and conditions; and build the trailer to suit what it tows.

Plus tandems suck when you have to park in grass padocks with a 2WD 350hp V8 tow wagon!

For stockcars and other heavy machinery I would go tandem any day.

one of them was a light truck retread which seperated. Not really too surprising. The other was a 6month old light truck tyre, which blew out on a 34degree day towing an R32GTR on the way back to Brisbane from Bathurst. I check tyre pressures each morning and at lunch on long trips like that. Tyres can and do just blow out sometimes, no matter what they're on.