SAU Community

What You Hate About Your Skyline Thread

the terrible turning circle, sitting low in the bucket seats its hard to view the dimentions of the car to clear stationary objects etc.

+1 to both. I could turn a 60's Cadillac around in less room than my r33. I am 6' 1 tall and can only just see over the bonnet, the form of the bucket seats makes it hard to sit up and have a good posture.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to a golf v diesel:

Interior light can be left on and it drains battery, it doesn't time out. mine times out on alarm circuit after a few min

Car can be locked with second keys in the ignition. yep stupid design, still find most cars are like that

Window wiper spray is like a 2 year old peeing, vs a carthorse. yep you would think they would put sprays on the wipers arms not bonnet

When you go into reverse in the rain, the rear wiper doesn't automatically run. would be a good idea wouldnt it ?

When you wash the window, the wiper doesn't do a second sweep 10 seconds later to clear the drips. true

You can't close all the windows by holding the lock button down. (or open them all) true but use two fingers instead ?my alarm rolls mine up when it arms ,sunroof and mirrors too?

There is no trunk release on the remote. my alarm fixed that up

When it rains the wipers don't start alarm will do that for me as well, but dont like it either

When you go into a tunnel, the headlights don't turn on. my alarm can do that for me but i dont like it

You can't operate the radio with the ignition off. who would want too? the amps would drain my battery in min.lol

The doors don't hold open in either of two positions, on steep sydney streets. agree tired of kicking them open in wind so i dont get wiped out

The fuel economy for just short shopping trips is 25l/100km instead of 5l/100km its a bit wonky, sometimes good sometimes its like a hole in fuel tank?

It is a barge to park and seemingly every bit wants to rub on a curb or speed bump. yep cant see behind you good= C pillars

You can lock the car and get a blinker flash even if a door or trunk is not fully closed. yep agree, but i put in a second alarm to override the annoying bits.

No cup holders, no map reading spotlights, no night-time red cabin illumination. small cupholders in console /mines has all blue led and neons now

There is no torque at 1500 rpm vs 300nm of torque in the golf diesel. I agree only my RB25det is worse..lol

2000 R34 GTT series 2

and the tire whine from rear tires

or the annoying rattles in the car, mine has 47,000k on it and it seems like 400,000, even with dynamat sound deadener and spray coating on all panels ? sunroof model ?

leaky windows in front in when you spray the windows with hose

drives like a truck on bumps, annoying bounces with coilovers and bad roads.

so stiff the inner rear tire comes off the ground when you pull into driveways , looks odd ...lol

lousy 5spd box, noisy and bad ratios.

seats stain with a single rain drop, silver inserts parts. wears bad too.

seats sit to high for 6ft people. and why bother with a back seat you would need no legs ?

front brake rotors warp if you look at them wrong, factory pads leave the white wheels black after short trip.

wimpy little caliper in the rear brakes

tires wear fast on front

whining power steering

noisy lifters after a few min to heat up

no cruise control on jap cars imported from there ,but in usa its standard ?

taillight bulbs burn out easy and need to take out a lot of bolts to get to them ?

whimpy battery and connections from japan

idle is a bit wild , hunts around a lot after driving

broken bolts on turbo manifold common, had mine break already at 47,000k

traction control switch is hidden under my knee, not in open spot, when it comes on its dangerous sometimes, power loss is wild

turn signal shuts off mid corner if the round about isnt perfect corner

original sat nav.tv, MD, CD changer / DVD player was absolute garbage thinks in northern hemisphere still, written all in japanese, gutted all of it ..lol

3 child seat bolts, is that oz standards?, come on how would they fit ...lol

oil filter is in bad spot

so is the power steering fluid bottle

RB block design, 1 bolt holds the tensioner pulley to block, had one shear off on RB30 motor at idle, great fun to fix without draining out A/C had to retap block.

tiny intercooler ? heat soaks easy in adelaide traffic

the mirror inside blocks my vision in roundbaouts cant see a car behind it, needs a better design on all cars. like my old multi-panel mirror in my RX7 for racing worked way better.

lots more little bits but for the most part im very very happy with my car and the other skyline R31 i have is still running fine at 485,000k on it so they must be ok, but my RZ TT supra is better to drive.

my new work car 2007 camry is way worse go figure?lol

with todays hi tech you would think they could figure out some things better...lol

1994 R33 GTSt

Friggin massive C pillars make doing a head check pointless as you can't see if a car is in your blind spot anyway

+1, every time I turn onto a main road that requires me to check the left rear side, I have to 1st get my car in a weird angle to see the traffic from the road properly...

As or the turning circle, maybe its coz the only 2 others cars I have driven for extended periods of time was a 91 Commo & a 02 Camry, turning circle of the R33 seems better compared to those 2.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

yeh turning circle in an r32 is pretty bad also...i always get scared when i do a u turn that i won't make it and will have to reverse against on coming traffic LoL.

also i've been trying to use the aircon in my r32 and is it my car or every 32 that the fan on the 4th option doesn't blow air as good? took forever for my car to cool up. might be the air ducts not in position?

yeah i've noticed the air con thing too... the highest fan setting doesn't do a whole lot more than the 3rd... gets cold really quick :P but the air stinks!! must be some old japanese noodles stuck in the ducts or something.. man it's bad

Car: 1989 R32 GTR

Hate all the stuffing around it takes to get an import car registered in nsw. Probly mostly the RTAs fault cause they are a pack of people who dont know sh*t (its done now so its ok)

Hate the fact that my alternator blew up (surged) and shorted out most of the relays / bulbs and stuff in my car causing a major headache.

Other than that I love the powaaa of the rb26 and great handling / drivability of the gtr!

Also I don't like the R33's climate control unit, where if I turned the whole dam thing off, I can't turn it on with fan only without 1st having to turn on the A/C (have to press "auto" to turn the unit back on then press the fan speed so it doesn't blast at me full speed... also I don't like the fact that it doesn't "remember" my last mode, every time I turn it off then on again, it always goes back to blowing air through the top vents & I have to cycle through the whole thing again. Would prefer a much simpler manual A/C control until like the ones found in regular Camrys & Comos.

Actually, you can. Just hit the 'mode' button and you'll turn it on with no fan, or the fan button to switch it on with just fan (no A/C)... I think....

I hate that my car isn't a JZX100 :P

But seriously, I have a 89 R32 4dr. Things about it that piss me off:

shit turning circle (and lack of lock when sliding) - have since rectified this somewhat with steering rack spacers

fked bushes - again have rectified that and it drives a lot better now

rattles & squeeks everywhere

the vibration it's geting between 2.5 and 3k rpm, which is the range i use 90% while cruising :D

speedo doesn't work

has no torque

has no air con

being a 4dr, the B pillar is more forward than a 2dr, which gets annoying at times.

and what I hate about skylines in general is the image thats associated with them. FFS, I drive my car to get from one place to another. I don't get in it to hoon and cause mischeif and piss people off, and I certainly don't like being pulled over for no fking reason other than the car I drive :banana::D

2000 R34 GTT series 2

and the tire whine from rear tires

or the annoying rattles in the car, mine has 47,000k on it and it seems like 400,000, even with dynamat sound deadener and spray coating on all panels ? sunroof model ?

leaky windows in front in when you spray the windows with hose

drives like a truck on bumps, annoying bounces with coilovers and bad roads.

so stiff the inner rear tire comes off the ground when you pull into driveways , looks odd ...lol

lousy 5spd box, noisy and bad ratios.

seats stain with a single rain drop, silver inserts parts. wears bad too.

seats sit to high for 6ft people. and why bother with a back seat you would need no legs ?

front brake rotors warp if you look at them wrong, factory pads leave the white wheels black after short trip.

wimpy little caliper in the rear brakes

tires wear fast on front

whining power steering

noisy lifters after a few min to heat up

no cruise control on jap cars imported from there ,but in usa its standard ?

taillight bulbs burn out easy and need to take out a lot of bolts to get to them ?

whimpy battery and connections from japan

idle is a bit wild , hunts around a lot after driving

broken bolts on turbo manifold common, had mine break already at 47,000k

traction control switch is hidden under my knee, not in open spot, when it comes on its dangerous sometimes, power loss is wild

turn signal shuts off mid corner if the round about isnt perfect corner

original sat nav.tv, MD, CD changer / DVD player was absolute garbage thinks in northern hemisphere still, written all in japanese, gutted all of it ..lol

3 child seat bolts, is that oz standards?, come on how would they fit ...lol

oil filter is in bad spot

so is the power steering fluid bottle

RB block design, 1 bolt holds the tensioner pulley to block, had one shear off on RB30 motor at idle, great fun to fix without draining out A/C had to retap block.

tiny intercooler ? heat soaks easy in adelaide traffic

the mirror inside blocks my vision in roundbaouts cant see a car behind it, needs a better design on all cars. like my old multi-panel mirror in my RX7 for racing worked way better.

lots more little bits but for the most part im very very happy with my car and the other skyline R31 i have is still running fine at 485,000k on it so they must be ok, but my RZ TT supra is better to drive.

my new work car 2007 camry is way worse go figure?lol

with todays hi tech you would think they could figure out some things better...lol

hmmmm...

...sounds more like a P76 or a Stag S1

The clicking that comes from the air con on anything above 18 degrees!

that age old blend door actuator problem.

stupid little problem but damn it shits me.

Ah yes... that's very annoying... does anyone know if there's a how-to or a thread write-up on fixing this?

Easy (but not cheap) way to fix seat room for people over 6 foot is to put GTR seats in GTST - makes it much much nicer and lower.

R33 GTST:

My 2 big issues are:

1. gear ratios.

1st gear too short, 5th gear too short. (Need OS Giken 1st and custom 5th)

2. Tyre roar - just too much. Might have to spray with sound deadening.

Turning circle is pretty good compared to Clio Sport.

I find the ride on bilsteins with front sway bar on medium and rear on soft is pretty damn good for a 10 year old car.

• 4 weeks later...
Ah yes... that's very annoying... does anyone know if there's a how-to or a thread write-up on fixing this?

Yeah there is but I dunno the shortcut atm... has a guide on where to reflow the solder. I did mine 4 weeks ago and its been running like a dream ever since :)

As to what I hate.... diagnosing HICAS issues.... not being able to have sex in the back seat because im not a midget (and those bucket rear seats, ouch) um, the rarity of mechanics that actually know what theyre doing.... hard to find replacement bits sometimes

but on the whole i still love my gtr ;D

-D

No mirrors on the visors but with the electric folding side mirrors you can stop them halfway and check yourself before hitting the scene.

Or adjust the mirror to have a perfect view of your girl passengers cleavage.

I always drive with the window open so..

Poor roof channel/gutter design, it's almost as if they designed it to flow rain into the cabin.

Might have to get some gay deflectors some day.

No faults other than that, just keeps ticking away.